ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    D'oh. I forgot the link.
    Tertiary Temptation

But yeah, youth may be a part of it. But I think extreme stress at any age can cause it to occur.
    Yeah, I've read that before. I don't agree with it. I don't really believe in "tertiary functions." It seems to me part of an attempt to force all behavior into a strict function model. It just doesn't match reality in most cases. For instance, I have never met an SJ that truly favors "Fi" over "Fe." STJs are just as likely as SFJs to favor conformist "go with the group" policies for everything.

But that's getting way off topic for this particular thread so maybe I'll start a new one...someday.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Bruce Lee was a lot like an NT because on the INTJ forum some people there even said they thought he was INTJ though in actuality he is ISTP 8w7 so/sx.

Permabanned

I'm starting to think Bruce Lee was an ISFP but who knows really. Def an ISXP.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I was just conducting a poll and, apparently, people can get ISTP mixed up, rather easily too, with ENTP as well as INTP!

Does anyone care to explain to me the similarities leading to this drastic confusion?

My only guess, as of right now, would be that all 3 are pretty logical, as well as all 3 of them being into problem solving, even if the nature of the problems they solve differ from type to type, whether it is the active challenge of the ISTP, the analytical challenge of the INTP, or the creative challenge of the ENTP.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

ENTP confused with ISTP...I have a hard time believing this as ENTP's in my life seem vastly different than me. Underneath, we may have similar curiosities and our viewpoints may be similar but that isnt necessarily type related, more superficial or moral grounds. I simply cannot talk, move, think *that* fast and jump around various subjects in the span of seconds. I mean, I just don't talk that much. Lol. I have a more step by step approach to problem solving - I'm dealing with one thing at a time, even if I'm aware of other issues. ENTPs gather everything up and try to juggle. They manage tho. Very different approaches.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by pv255 View Post
    I've been strong-armed, by the deceivingly violent Steph, into rewriting my previous post in layman's terms.

Why do some people overuse their tertiary function? And why can loops/traps occur?
    My first thought is, why do we interact at all? In general, we interact with each other to receive a desired response. I think that there are many types of responses. Desirable responses are preconceived, and there is a range of acceptable and unacceptable responses. For instance, if you tell someone you are sad, possible positive responses are empathy, advice, or a compliment. Possible negative responses are teasing, changing the subject, or an insult. Interactions are transactional like that.

If someone says something that came from using their top two functions and receives negative feedback, they may try using their first and third function. If their first and third functions produce positive responses, they may keep using it. The substitution happens naturally. Therefore you may think it is normal and arent aware you are even doing it. Prolonged exposure to this situation may even convince you that using your first and third functions is right and using your second function is wrong. So there is your loop.

Imagine my situation for a moment. A little Ti/Ne kid may make the observation that a baseball and basketball dropped at the same time from the same height hit the ground at the same time. After a few more observations the kid forms a theory and is very happy with himself. He shares this thought with an adult and is expecting praise for his creative endeavors and reciprocated curiosity, but the all-knowing adult already knows about gravity. The all-knowing adult may even try to show their superiority by regurgitating the genius of someone else and demeaning your innovated thought . And all the other little kids don't care to know about gravity until the all-knowing adult gives them a grade for it. (if someone says newton was an intj...... i will stick steph on you. newton is an intp to the max.)

In school they teach you 1+1=2. A Ti/Ne kid would think, "wtf are these shapes and why do they follow that pattern? ". All the other kids got it so the Ti/Ne kid must be stupid. The switch to Ti/Si just memorizes the pattern and moves on.... So on and so forth until something different happens. How long could that take?

That was a simplistic example, but do you see how Ti/Ne can get suppressed and Ti/Si get acceptable results? Other types may have similar responses instead of opposite ones, or even suppressed tertiary functions. Therefore not everyone will experience this, and other people may have a supportive person in their lives.

An Se/Ni kid sees the equation, derives meaning, falls asleep and waits for the test

MBTI
    xxTP

An ISTP won't accidentally go out with their fly open or a sock stuck to their head. This is the best way to differentiate them from INTP.

N vs S should not be defined by "presence/abscence of dom/aux Ne/Ni". Ne/Ni are too subjective and hard to define. It should be defined by "presence/abscence of dom/aux Se/Si". Everyone can tell when the sensing functions are underdeveloped

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    An ISTP won't accidentally go out with their fly open or a sock stuck to their head. This is the best way to differentiate them from INTP.
    This is absolutely 100% incorrect.

Source: 26 years as an ISTP.

(ok, I haven't gone out with a sock on my head but mostly because how would that happen in the first place?? socks aren't sticky, or they shouldn't be... )
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This is absolutely 100% incorrect.

Source: 26 years as an ISTP.

(ok, I haven't gone out with a sock on my head but mostly because how would that happen in the first place?? socks aren't sticky, or they shouldn't be... )
    Socks aren't sticky (on the outside anyway)...but your head could be!

Anyway:so you're an ISTP with bad Se? How does that work?

Or do you just mean you did it occasionally on a "bad day"...?

Because my point is, the NT lack of sync with their physical environment is very notable. Not that no ISTP could EVER have an Sensing fail. Obviously I was exaggerating for effect.

When does an ISTP look like an INTP or INTJ?

Of all the Improviserâ„¢ types, ISTPs most look like and most often identify with the Theoristâ„¢ temperament, often reporting preferences for INTP or for INTJ on assessments.

Full article here:
    http://bestfittype.com/16Types/ISTP-INTP-INTJ.cfm