• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Any ISFPs actively posting on here?

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
I ask because it's one of the personality types I just cannot seem to understand in any clarity. I can read all about it, yet understand virtually nothing, except it seems like a high-strung, grounded variant of an INFP.

Funny thing is, I know one ISFP, and have met others, and can tell they are, yet have no perspective on how it must be for them. The one I know isn't particularly able to discuss much about psychology or personality theory at all, so I can't really bother to ask.

Anyone want to help me out, here? :D

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
According to the member's list there's 16, the highest has 319 posts. I don't know how to link the search results though.

But seriously I think we're better off without them.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU

Oh man, hahah.

Hopefully that'll make them come in and stand up for themselves so I can learn a little more. :D

heart

heart on fire
I have a friend who tested as ISFP, she's got a real hard Te that comes up a lot, but other than that she's a very soft, dreamy natured person, very into cocooning herself in sensual comfort. Very fine sense of Fi, but she's just not into theoretical discussions or anything about the darker side of life. I have to edit myself around her or I disturb her! She's a very giving, wonderful person.

For some reason many people always think she's pissed off because she's not real smiley, but she's one of the most even tempered and patient people I know. She says she cannot understand the draw to message boards for socializing.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
According to the member's list there's 16, the highest has 319 posts. I don't know how to link the search results though.

Hey Belfry, you're seeing things in purely quantitive terms. Maybe within those 319 post there are gems of such worth that render all NT posts - combined! - mere fluff in the wind.

I think we should be told.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
she's a very soft, dreamy natured person, very into cocooning herself in sensual comfort. Very fine sense of Fi, but she's just not into theoritical discussions or anything about the darker side of life. I have to edit myself around her or I disturb her!

Odd, that sounds a helluva lot like an INFP I know (guy friend's mom). I'm pretty sure she's INFP since she said she tested as such while going to school for psychology, but she just doesn't like to get into theoretical discussions, loves to indulge in her senses, and will actually outright ask to not discuss 'negative' things.

That's why I get so damn confused about the distinction!

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I work next to an ISFP at the moment and he is obsessed with talking about sex. He's a little gangsta wannabee boyracer who spends a majority of his day over-texting girls to the point of clinginess with poorly spelt sexual requests.

He takes meaningless imaginitive discussions to base terms. When I mused the other day that being mentally handicapped could actually be quite a fun life, his instant reply was, "Whatever! You'd get no pussy man! Ha ha ha ha! Never get to touch a titty, ha ha ha!"

All day, everyday, this uninteresting dialogue erodes me.

heart

heart on fire
My ISFP friend is into Christmas and Hallmark television movies, Christian romance novels, scented candles and sweets. In the middle of July she would come to pick me up for shopping or whatever and it is blazing hot, but I open the van door and I "jingle bells" playing and its normal to me!

She's great for having fun with and being childlike with. She's a great mother to her kids. She's always been there when I really needed her. Oh and Christmas is always a blast around her...

>_<

MBTI Type
INTP
OP:
What do you not understand? I find the ISFP to know to be very consistent, although she wouldn't admit it if I said that to her. Heh, she may have finally understood that I have a limited understanding of how she sees and approaches things after a conversation I had with her that went unusually well. It's so foreign to her that logical analysis from a detached perspective can lead to genuine understanding that it's funny... but that in itself says something about her, I think.

I find tentatively combining what I've read with what I've seen in the person to be effective.

As for forums, I think ISFPs are more likely to post on forums that have something to do with something they care about, like maybe painting, playing music, etc. There's probably one somewhere around here though.

The one I know isn't particularly able to discuss much about psychology or personality theory at all, so I can't really bother to ask.

Welcome to the S function. Some people will even claim that a type like ISFP can never have any abstract interests ever, and I can see why they think that.

alicia91

According to the member's list there's 16, the highest has 319 posts

Hmm...that might be me. :)

Anyhow, what exactly do you want to know? "what it's like to be me" is a pretty open-ended question and since I've only ever been 'me' I'm not sure what is interesting or unique about me. While I'm very interested in psychology, I'm fairly new to MBTI so I'm probably not knowledgable enough about it to give you an indepth MBTI perspective about myself.

If you have some specific questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
I guess any input you have about how you function is helpful. :D I'm looking for how to apply the actual functions -- Fi, Se, Ni, Te -- since personal experience is often not enough to get me to understand (Ti, I guess? ;)), but it still does help to hear from those that do experience it first hand.

I get that ISFP can be quite variable depending on several factors (general intelligence, family history, etc.), but I'm wondering why that is. Fi? Well, at any rate, it's interesting to hear from people who experience the world through SP functions when I can only do as such through artistic experiences.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have a friend who tested as ISFP, she's got a real hard Te that comes up a lot, but other than that she's a very soft, dreamy natured person, very into cocooning herself in sensual comfort. Very fine sense of Fi, but she's just not into theoretical discussions or anything about the darker side of life. I have to edit myself around her or I disturb her! She's a very giving, wonderful person.

For some reason many people always think she's pissed off because she's not real smiley, but she's one of the most even tempered and patient people I know. She says she cannot understand the draw to message boards for socializing.

My mom's ISFP and much of what you wrote describes her very well. I find I have to censor myself or I will shock her with the things I say. Sometimes I fail and feel awful, because I know she means well. I also have to be careful what I say and the caustic way I say it, despite her stoic persona. She'll never cry before you, but she used to have tantrums. Being around her provides a lesson in sensitivity and makes me actually want to be all fluffy and good-natured like she is, until she pisses me off by being too good and generous to people and having them take advantage of it. For some reason, I feel protective of her, though I'm the daughter.

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I get that ISFP can be quite variable depending on several factors (general intelligence, family history, etc.), but I'm wondering why that is. Fi? Well, at any rate, it's interesting to hear from people who experience the world through SP functions when I can only do as such through artistic experiences.

My best friend growing up was an ISFP. He was basically the reason that I didn't get picked on as a kid. He was really tough, and early on in Kindergarten he decided that we were best friends. I didn't get much say in the matter, but I wasn't inclined to protest very much. I'd describe him as very interested in cars, physical activities and mischief of all sorts. When he discovered girls, for a few years he was basically a walking hard-on. Eventually, he fell in love with a strong-willed woman and got roped into her life. After that, I hardly ever heard from him again. Last I knew, he'd put on a lot of weight, accepted his wife's brand of Jesus, and was a father of two.

My wife is also an ISFP. She's very different from my old best friend. She's quite into the fine arts. She's a graphic artist, painter and a musician. She's very interested in computers although she would probably never frequent an Internet forum unless it was useful in answering specific questions she had about music, art, technical computer stuff or musical instruments. We have a few interests in common - computers, music, going to the gym, etc. Our relationship basically works because we have fun doing stuff together, and we're both pretty willing to be tolerant of our differences.

ISFPs and INTPs fundamentally approach the world in very different ways. I've had 30+ years of being very close with people of this type. I can't really claim to understand what is common to their viewpoint as a whole, but I have a rough feel for how it's different from my own, and I respect it.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Taking my comments so seriously ..............genius!

If you don't want them to be taken seriously why don't you put up smileys or something? Like this: =P

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
I don't know, I didn't take it seriously. Must be the Ti.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm going to re-read once I get a chance.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know, I didn't take it seriously. Must be the Ti.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm going to re-read once I get a chance.

I didn't either and no Ti involved.:huh:

Well I did. This is the internet, with out facial expressions and body language you can't know whether someone is joking/being sarcastic. And maybe you guys know Mort Belfry so you know when he/she is joking. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie here that read that and took it seriously, I'm probably just the only one that said something.
I don't think I'm overreacting either, imagine if Mort Belfry had said the same thing except for with race instead of personality, saying something like, "But seriously we're better off without Mexicans"...saying things like that about any category of people is going to get reactions.

Sorry for the thread derail.
I'd respond to the original post but I'm not sure if I'm an ISFP or not. I'm an IXFP though probably.