User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: The Best Tools

MBTI
    INTP

Default The Best Tools

Title says it all. What's the best, most useful tool you have used?

For me it's a 39 piece screwdriver-adapter set that my parents gave me as a present when I was just a teenager. It has hexes, sockets, screwdrivers, and more, and the little organizer keeps everything neat and convenient and gives you a place to put removed screws and such. It's also decent quality, not some flimsy gonna-break-in-a-year type stuff. It's the first thing to come out of the box for most projects.

So how about you? Is it your leatherman? Or maybe just an old fashioned pocket knife? That old-school forged-steel pair of pliers that's been passed down for three generations? Some high-tech piece of gadgetry? Or maybe your chainsaw?

I've never found much use out of Leatherman-style plier multitools. The screwdrivers in them are practically useless. The pliers and cutters usually work OK, but are less comfortable to use than a normal pair of pliers/cutters. They also break very easily-- I've broken two and I barely use them.

Similarly, I find that Swiss Army knives are one tool that I rarely use and never enjoy using. When I need a knife, I need a real knife, not some flimsy garbage on the side of a cheese box. It does a dozen things poorly.

Insulation tape. I've always been proud when I fixed something with insulation tape.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Insulation tape. I've always been proud when I fixed something with insulation tape.
    Hmm there is probably a cultural difference here. When I hear insulation tape I think of the shiny metal bendy stuff, but you can't fix too many things with that. Are you talking about Duct tape?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Not an SP.. but, I always always carry a sharp pocket knife. Yes, swiss army knives suck for about everything they are meant to do. I love my drill press, probably it's the most useful powertool ever. I love it enough that I've justified keeping it around even though I live in a small studio apartment. And I'm so very sad that I do not own a bandsaw anymore, I was genuinely in love with my 14" Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Hmm there is probably a cultural difference here. When I hear insulation tape I think of the shiny metal bendy stuff, but you can't fix too many things with that. Are you talking about Duct tape?
    Yeah, duct tape it looks like from a search. Here is insulation tape plus NZ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

A knife, I have one on me at all times.

Permabanned

the best tool i've ever had.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    They call that "electrical tape" where I'm from. It's good stuff. Very useful for taping stuff to my bike.

Banned

I tend to keep a Spyderco Centofante with me at most times.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I tend to keep a Spyderco Centofante with me at most times.
    Nice, I like Spydercos. I keep all stainless Spydero Delica when I'm not working. I used to carry less conspicuous Spydero Crickets, but I kept loosing them as they fell out of my pocket. The Delica makes a thunk when it does that.. so it's still with me.