123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default ISTPs and Vengeance

It seems like it is a common men's for ISTps to do acts of vengeance especially when someone close to them (particularly close family has been harmed. I actually think it is one of the aspects of istp I most admire. Do the ISTPs here agree? Have you ever been involved in an act of vengeance/vigilantism? In what situations do you think is is appropriate/inappropriate?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    It seems like it is a common men's for ISTps to do acts of vengeance especially when someone close to them (particularly close family has been harmed. I actually think it is one of the aspects of istp I most admire. Do the ISTPs here agree? Have you ever been involved in an act of vengeance/vigilantism? In what situations do you think is is appropriate/inappropriate?
    I think ESTP's are much more prone to this. ISTP's just don't give a shit.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I give a shit.
    Don't fuck with my family.

I think if someone had an avatar of my sister with a bra on as panties I'd seek vengeance.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Have you ever been involved in an act of vengeance/vigilantism?
    Yes.

In what situations do you think is is appropriate/inappropriate?
    Throw ethics out the window. It's every man for himself, far as I'm concerned.
    But to answer your question--I view it as a cost/benefit ratio first.

If the person has wronged me, someone I care about or someone who is innocent--AND--I can enact a form of justice upon them (and get away it), yeah. This is the only time I will take action. Otherwise, I let it go. Not worth it. I'm not Batman here, I'm just a man who likes chicken wings, beer and justice.

But, if I can get away with it clean--in the green. This is the most important part.

I don't know. I've retaliated a lot in the moment, but rarely been screwed enough to hunt someone down later. I'm sure I would, but hopefully I don't even get in that situation. I don't really let most things fester and start plottng anything later. Sometimes I become friendly with that person again. I might not let them close, but not hate them enough to do something. Like I said, hopefully I don't get so seriously screwed that I end up on some mission to fuck their world up. Because that would mean my world has been fucked up too. Most things I deal with are kind of bullshit.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

If its part of the moment that the incident occurred- yes. (I can be unrelenting) If I have time to think about it - no.

Few times I've thought out vengeance and enacted it it's never made much difference afterward. It doesn't make me feel better about the initial problem.

I let it go if the moment has passed. Also, it has to be pretty heinous to warrant me losing my cool in the first place.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    If its part of the moment that the incident occurred- yes. (I can be unrelenting) If I have time to think about it - no.

Few times I've thought out vengeance and enacted it it's never made much difference afterward. It doesn't make me feel better about the initial problem.

I let it go if the moment has passed. Also, it has to be pretty heinous to warrant me losing my cool in the first place.
    Agreed. In the moment, yes. After the fact, probably not. I have thought about it in the past but decided it really isn't worth it and I don't care that much. Onwards and upwards with life. No point in dwelling on the past.

This is in relation to things that have been against me personally. If someone threatened the person I love, they would get it big time. And I imagine if I have kids in the future I would react in a similar way. Having said this the threat would have to be fairly serious. And I would only react if I thought something could be gained from the vengeance.

Mostly if things are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things then I don't care enough to seek revenge. It seems somehow pointless.

Yeah, I can can get really angry and seek vengeance in the moment. But given sometime I tend to see the errors and look for the best solution. I've sometimes been annoyed at being cursed with foresight. Sometimes straight vengeance seemed it would be much more pleasurable.

Permabanned

Depends what the situation is and how bad I got screwed. For example If I was raped in any way I would seek out vengeance with a giant machete.