• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Am I an Artisan?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you think you are? You seem to have a good handle on your own personality. Something about your questioning process/doubt says INTP or INTJ but that's just my opinion.

What's your enneagram type?

PeopleWatcher

MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
?
You sound kinda like an INTJ to me. Second guess would be ISTP, maybe ISTJ. Do you know if you prefer Te or Ti? You're coming off as far more Te-oriented here.
This website helped me figure this out:http://andreajwenger.com/2010/12/07/introverted-thinking-extraverted-thinking-communication/
It convinced me that I use Ti more. I am all about classifying things and naming them. I want to categorize things and "put them in a box". That's how I understand things. If I can "name" you, I get you.

What do you think you are? You seem to have a good handle on your own personality. Something about your questioning process/doubt says INTP or INTJ but that's just my opinion.

You know posting on this forum has helped me "hear myself think". So I do get myself more. I have an idea of what I am... I won't say because I want the comments to keep rolling. I will say it is interesting that I come off as a strong Te user when that is not one of my four main functions. I do have a theory on why this is so: I am trying to compile all the facts about my personality into single, coherent posts. Which function would be most logical for this: Te, of course. So it is possible that I am using Te the most since I am trying to organize the facts of my personality into some meaningful whole.

I guess I went about this the wrong way. I should have provided anecdotes about me or a clip from my personal journal about how I think or something. That would express more of who I truly am. So many aspects of my personality are not showing up in these posts of mine such as my sense of humor, fun, adventure, versatility i.e I can fit in anywhere and change shape. I am so flexible that way. I can take on the identities and personalities of those around me so easily. I can easily imitate people and pick out their idiosyncrasies. I love that. I love clowning around and making jokes and laughing, laughing, laughing. And none of that has come across.

Life can't be planned, only go with the flow. Living each moment to your best. If you do that then you won't be upset where you end up. This mentality is at odds with the intjs I know. I am sure there are some who are not this way.

" I spend most of my time by myself in my room studying, reading, or listening to music" is extremely unlike an artisan. Particularly the studying part, and particularly if there isn't an extremely good reason for it.

I agree. That is why I am a depressed artisan. Oh yeah, when I am studying it is for school because I am "anal" about my grades. I like them to be perfect. I feel like a failure if I am not the best.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Oh yeah, when I am studying it is for school because I am "anal" about my grades. I like them to be perfect. I feel like a failure if I am not the best.

Yeah, you're probably an ISTJ and an enneagram 1. I've not known an SP to get that chuffed about grades, not even those who were more academically inclined.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Temp-Style.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This website helped me figure this out:http://andreajwenger.com/2010/12/07/introverted-thinking-extraverted-thinking-communication/
It convinced me that I use Ti more. I am all about classifying things and naming them. I want to categorize things and "put them in a box". That's how I understand things. If I can "name" you, I get you.

You know posting on this forum has helped me "hear myself think". So I do get myself more. I have an idea of what I am... I won't say because I want the comments to keep rolling. I will say it is interesting that I come off as a strong Te user when that is not one of my four main functions. I do have a theory on why this is so: I am trying to compile all the facts about my personality into single, coherent posts. Which function would be most logical for this: Te, of course. So it is possible that I am using Te the most since I am trying to organize the facts of my personality into some meaningful whole.

I guess I went about this the wrong way. I should have provided anecdotes about me or a clip from my personal journal about how I think or something. That would express more of who I truly am. So many aspects of my personality are not showing up in these posts of mine such as my sense of humor, fun, adventure, versatility i.e I can fit in anywhere and change shape.

The more I read about you, the more I'm thinking you're the ENFJ type. In the chart I provided above, the ENFJ is one of the "take charge" types, as you described in the OP. The ENFJ also needs more alone time than other extraverts, as you described being alone a lot - however, that does not make you a loner per se. The ENFJ also "can fit in anywhere and change shape." The statement "I feel like a failure if I am not the best" does not sound like an Artisan but an Idealist.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

But the page was written by an INFJ who is frustrated that her INTJ husband thinks in terms of concepts instead of names ("that blue store" versus "Lowes"). She thinks in terms of names, and she's an INFJ not a Ti type. But she says that Ti is the naming type. Talk about self-contradiction.

I could say from this - "That's how I understand things" - that you're an INFJ, but at this point your lack of ability to introspect, which is obvious from your questions here about type - and instead, to imitate the idiosyncrasies of others which requires an external focus - points to extraversion. You're an ENFJ and probably an enneatype 3w2.

PeopleWatcher

MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
?
Yeah, you're probably an ISTJ and an enneagram 1. I've not known an SP to get that chuffed about grades, not even those who were more academically inclined.

Really? I see this as being competitive. I want to be the best in the class. Many artisans want to be the best at whatever they are doing. If I am working at McDonald's I want to be the best worker on the shift. Same thing.

But the page was written by an INFJ who is frustrated that her INTJ husband thinks in terms of concepts instead of names ("that blue store" versus "Lowes"). She thinks in terms of names, and she's an INFJ not a Ti type. But she says that Ti is the naming type. Talk about self-contradiction.

Wow. You misunderstood the article. Infj has Ti tertiary. So she does use Ti for thinking process. Not a self-contradiction at all.

I could say from this - "That's how I understand things" - that you're an INFJ, but at this point your lack of ability to introspect, which is obvious from your questions here about type

Um. I am very introspective. I journalize my thoughts daily. My questions about type is simply because it is difficult to be objective about yourself on certain things. Also, I want to see how I come across on a forum. This has nothing to do with my not being introspective.

and instead, to imitate the idiosyncrasies of others which requires an external focus - points to extraversion.

You are right; imitating the idiosyncrasies of others is extraversion. I attribute this to an auxiliary Extraverting Sensing. Most individuals use both dominant and auxiliary functions often.

You're an ENFJ and probably an enneatype 3w2.

Why an enfj would enjoy studying math, the logical and analysis aspects of it is beyond me. My infatuation with math and other logical analysis activities points to a dominant or auxiliary Ti.

Enfjs are people persons. Not me at all. I am not good with spotting others' emotions and responding to them naturally. I have to work at being in tune with others emotions. I am not affectionate. Hugs and kisses make me extremely uncomfortable. I am clearly a thinking type. Involving people and their emotions always comes second to me, not always intentionally, it's just not my main focus.

Once again I will state, I am definitely a utilitarian type rather than a cooperative type. My introspection has solved this question for me. So anyone who says I seem like anything other than a Rational or thinking Artisan is obviously disregarding what I know to be very true about myself.

The only functions that could even be debatable are the j/p function and s/n function. I am definitely ixtx.

The more I read about you, the more I'm thinking you're the ENFJ type. In the chart I provided above, the ENFJ is one of the "take charge" types, as you described in the OP.

I usually get things going (take-charge, if you will) when I am in group projects. Everyone else just sits around and stares at each other, so I find I am the one who has to organize everything and gives us a start and execution plan.

Actually, what I wrote sounds a lot like chart-the-course. I give us an "execution plan". You are reading too much into my could-be-more accurate-word choice. I am not take-charge per se. I am just the first to give us an outline on how we can accomplish what needs to be done. The first to say,"Here are our problems, this is maybe how we can solve them." I feel I am the first person to really get the group on track. Hence charting-the-course.

You also need to be sure to look not just at the action but the motivations behind the actions. I could appear to be the in-charge interaction style because I often do speak up first, but that does not mean that I feel comfortable doing it and that I enjoy doing it or even want to do it. I hate being the first one to speak up. I loathe being the most vocal one in a group setting. I want someone else to provide us with action. But because I action-oriented, I don't like sitting around and will speak up if everyone else is hanging his head.

Please read carefully:
Also, in my first post I listed all the things about me that made me doubt that I was an artisan. Not the things that made me think I was an artisan. I could list a million and one things that make me sound like an artisan but my goal was to say, "I think I am an artisan, but these things don't sound like an artisan so help me figure out why that is."
END

[MENTION]PeopleWatcher [/MENTION]- you sounds more like an xxTJ to he honest, even the way you ask these questions scream "extroverted thinking" to me, jumping from one general personality-typing methodology to another without quite going into the breakdown nitty gritty's of any of them.

I "jump" around without "breaking" it down because my posts are already long enough and I wasn't sure if people would read them if they were too long. I am new to this site. Also, I figured if you were answering my posts then you were knowledgable about all the personality systems and such and that you wouldn't need to have an introductory course in what I was saying. I was assuming you would just get where I was hinting. But since I am new, I have learned. Next time I will go into the nitty-gritty and my posts may end up being two pages or more. Believe I can get pretty thorough just like a Ti, but I didn't want to bore anyone. Haha.

Tactics
Also my love of math supports my artisan claim because many people don't realize that mathematics involves lots of tactics, which artisans excel at and enjoy implementing.

I am still welcoming new, well-thought out comments.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Really? I see this as being competitive. I want to be the best in the class. Many artisans want to be the best at whatever they are doing. If I am working at McDonald's I want to be the best worker on the shift. Same thing.

Wow. You misunderstood the article. Infj has Ti tertiary. So she does use Ti for thinking process. Not a self-contradiction at all.

Um. I am very introspective. I journalize my thoughts daily. My questions about type is simply because it is difficult to be objective about yourself on certain things. Also, I want to see how I come across on a forum. This has nothing to do with my not being introspective.

You are right; imitating the idiosyncrasies of others is extraversion. I attribute this to an auxiliary Extraverting Sensing. Most individuals use both dominant and auxiliary functions often.

Why an enfj would enjoy studying math, the logical and analysis aspects of it is beyond me. My infatuation with math and other logical analysis activities points to a dominant or auxiliary Ti.

Enfjs are people persons. Not me at all. I am not good with spotting others' emotions and responding to them naturally. I have to work at being in tune with others emotions. I am not affectionate. Hugs and kisses make me extremely uncomfortable. I am clearly a thinking type. Involving people and their emotions always comes second to me, not always intentionally, it's just not my main focus.

Once again I will state, I am definitely a utilitarian type rather than a cooperative type. My introspection has solved this question for me. So anyone who says I seem like anything other than a Rational or thinking Artisan is obviously disregarding what I know to be very true about myself.

The only functions that could even be debatable are the j/p function and s/n function. I am definitely ixtx.

Actually, what I wrote sounds a lot like chart-the-course. I give us an "execution plan". You are reading too much into my could-be-more accurate-word choice. I am not take-charge per se. I am just the first to give us an outline on how we can accomplish what needs to be done. The first to say,"Here are our problems, this is maybe how we can solve them." I feel I am the first person to really get the group on track. Hence charting-the-course.

You also need to be sure to look not just at the action but the motivations behind the actions. I could appear to be the in-charge interaction style because I often do speak up first, but that does not mean that I feel comfortable doing it and that I enjoy doing it or even want to do it. I hate being the first one to speak up. I loathe being the most vocal one in a group setting. I want someone else to provide us with action. But because I action-oriented, I don't like sitting around and will speak up if everyone else is hanging his head.

Please read carefully:
Also, in my first post I listed all the things about me that made me doubt that I was an artisan. Not the things that made me think I was an artisan. I could list a million and one things that make me sound like an artisan but my goal was to say, "I think I am an artisan, but these things don't sound like an artisan so help me figure out why that is."
END

I "jump" around without "breaking" it down because my posts are already long enough and I wasn't sure if people would read them if they were too long. I am new to this site. Also, I figured if you were answering my posts then you were knowledgable about all the personality systems and such and that you wouldn't need to have an introductory course in what I was saying. I was assuming you would just get where I was hinting. But since I am new, I have learned. Next time I will go into the nitty-gritty and my posts may end up being two pages or more. Believe I can get pretty thorough just like a Ti, but I didn't want to bore anyone. Haha.

Tactics
Also my love of math supports my artisan claim because many people don't realize that mathematics involves lots of tactics, which artisans excel at and enjoy implementing.

I am still welcoming new, well-thought out comments.

At this point you're just annoying, regardless of what type you are. What is the point of starting a thread in which you simply want people to help you rationalize a conclusion you've already reached?

But I still think you're some sort of xxxJ, probably an SJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

But it's not unusual to find ENFJs doing those things. I've seen it a lot. So it's obvious that Jungianism doesn't dictate to reality.

Just don't get your heart set on that webpage you mentioned, because it still implies that you could have tertiary Ti by your own words. I'm not saying you do, only that citing that erroneous page isn't wise.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At this point you're just annoying, regardless of what type you are. What is the point of starting a thread in which you simply want people to help you rationalize a conclusion you've already reached?

LOL. He's an INTP. This makes sense.

PeopleWatcher

MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
?

Wow. Are you sure you are not an SJ? You sound a lot like an ESTJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know, if you're actually this convinced about being an Artisan via the Keirsey theory, you can sign up for Keirsey's web site and ask Keirsey Jr. what he thinks.

Because there are several different theories, and everyone has their own opinion.

I will say your external opinion gathering seems to point to wanting evidence from the external world, which does not mean you aren't an introvert. It could mean you are an SP or NP and are gathering different view points with Pe, if you want to look at this from a Jungian perspective.

I did the same thing. I kept taking in INFORMATION AND INFORMATION AND INFORMATION and would not decide on my type for certain until I had learned various theories and asked various people what they thought of me.

That's more of an Ne or Se thing, to keep information gathering.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, if you're actually this convinced about being an Artisan via the Keirsey theory, you can sign up for Keirsey's web site and ask Keirsey Jr. what he thinks.

Because there are several different theories, and everyone has their own opinion.

I will say your external opinion gathering seems to point to wanting evidence from the external world, which does not mean you aren't an introvert. It could mean you are an SP or NP and are gathering different view points with Pe, if you want to look at this from a Jungian perspective.

I did the same thing. I kept taking in INFORMATION AND INFORMATION AND INFORMATION and would not decide on my type for certain until I had learned various theories and asked various people what they thought of me.

That's more of an Ne or Se thing, to keep information gathering.

Or you could call it delaying Judgment (J).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Or you could call it delaying Judgment (J).

Well going by the four dichotomies, it is the P who is most comfortable with being indecisive. Even from a Jungian perspective we could call Ne and Se the most concerned with constantly collecting new information from the outside world. I'm not saying that his collection is constant, but I don't think asking other people what they think counts as Fe, it may be checking my reality against yours to get a bigger and bigger perception of reality (Pe) and an Se type might even be concerned that their evaluation be as realistic as possible, as confirmed with the outside world as possible.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The more I read about you, the more I'm thinking you're the ENFJ type. In the chart I provided above, the ENFJ is one of the "take charge" types, as you described in the OP. The ENFJ also needs more alone time than other extraverts, as you described being alone a lot - however, that does not make you a loner per se. The ENFJ also "can fit in anywhere and change shape." The statement "I feel like a failure if I am not the best" does not sound like an Artisan but an Idealist.

Just so you know, Keirsey calls Artisans chameleons who can fit in anywhere and change shape...you don't even know your Keirsey for someone who touts it so much.

I feel like a failure if I'm not the best could come from different places, it could be a competitive SP or just an NF, NT, or SJ who is an Enneagram 3.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Wow. Are you sure you are not an SJ? You sound a lot like an ESTJ.

I'm pretty sure you're the same type as Jack and Jackie Kennedy. ESFJ.

You're also retarded, so you may want to get that checked out.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just so you know, Keirsey calls Artisans chameleons who can fit in anywhere and change shape...you don't even know your Keirsey for someone who touts it so much.

I feel like a failure if I'm not the best could come from different places, it could be a competitive SP or just an NF, NT, or SJ who is an Enneagram 3.

I don't tout anything.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
PeopleWatcher said:
I can notice (by taste or sight) when my mom uses a different brand for an ingredient in her dishes. I'll say, "this tastes funny." And she'll say, "I used a different brand." So I am very good with noticing textures and scents and looks (such as facial features, colors). All very concrete, extraverted sensing things.

Strictly speaking, this is actually Si usage. You're comparing the current sensation to a sensation-definition that you have stored ("Mom's curry chicken") and noticing discrepancies between the two.

There is a possibility that you are INTP with strong Si usage thanks to growing up with an ISTJ parent. That would explain your impulsivity, IxTP communication style, P external information gathering (you place emphasis on one good argument being able to sway you - an xNTJ would tend to speak in terms of adding data to their ever-changing information matrix)

Andrea J. Wenger said:
Introverted thinking is all about classifying things. It likes to give them names and put them in little boxes. Extraverted thinking is more conceptual. It looks at how things relate to one another. So while introverted thinking focuses on separating things into their unique parts, extraverted thinking focuses on organizing things into a unified whole.

Given my introverted thinking function, I can’t understand something until I put a name on it. Until I could articulate that my husband thinks in terms of “concepts,” while I think in terms of “names,” I had a devil of a time comprehending his aversion to calling things by the same words everyone else uses. Now, I can enjoy his innovative use of language—for instance, calling the wisteria bush “the hysterical bush” because it grows out of control. The name fits the concept.

Not to be an ass to this lady, but I think she's totally off. Extraverted Thinking is all about classifying - Introverted Thinking is about discriminating. It's on different terms, as she's obviously figured out. Extraverted Thinking uses "utilitarian" categorization, versus "ideal" categorization. Ti seeks to get everything correct. Te seeks to get everything working. Her husband calls Lowes the blue one because there's been, for him, little functional usefulness in remembering its name to be Lowes. What does it matter to him whether he knows the name of it? To Ti, you need to know it's Lowes because it's Lowes. That's what it is. If you miss that, you're missing a huge part of what it is. To Te, even if you're missing that name, it's still the place you go when you need a wrench. Might as well be called Hardware-N-Shit. Doesn't matter what it's nature is, it matters what its function is.

PeopleWatcher said:
So it is possible that I am using Te the most since I am trying to organize the facts of my personality into some meaningful whole.

Sounds like N-T to me, just as easily Ti-Ne as Te-Ni. And you seem much more P.

I am just the first to give us an outline on how we can accomplish what needs to be done. The first to say,"Here are our problems, this is maybe how we can solve them." I feel I am the first person to really get the group on track. Hence charting-the-course.

Alternatively, this could be a facet of doing what NTPs do, which is to identify a problem and brainstorm solutions (INTP's domain being more problem identification and ENTP's domain being more brainstorming solutions).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Originally Posted by Andrea J. Wenger
Introverted thinking is all about classifying things

Ick.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm pretty sure you're the same type as Jack and Jackie Kennedy. ESFJ.

You're also retarded, so you may want to get that checked out.

This deserves a big :rolleyes: