• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Interesting/Unusual ISTP Hobbies

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm, that's kinda hard to say. I mean, I have an ISTP ex and he LOVES reading, esp SciFi. He's a bookworm, has a BA in History. He actually wanted to be a writer when he was younger.

but that's just experience from one ISTP though, so.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Carl Jung identified as ISTP in his adventurous younger years and he was the master of all things metaphysical, which seems to be a very atypical ISTP hobby, although in his later years he retyped as INTP. But then again, Keirsey and CelebrityTypes.com think Jung was INFJ! That might make his deep intuition make more sense.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Carl Jung identified as ISTP in his adventurous younger years and he was the master of all things metaphysical, which seems to be a very atypical ISTP hobby, although in his later years he retyped as INTP. But then again, Keirsey and CelebrityTypes.com think Jung was INFJ! That might make his deep intuition make more sense.

He could have been an ISTP with equally developed Se and Ni - that's the explanation that I think most fits. I find that the 'intuition' that he uses more Ni than Ne.

khys

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mensa puzzles, logic problems, and Sudoku. That's how I relax.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes... nothing quite trumps logic games/puzzles.

ohtochooseaname

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6

There's a great phone game called "OnetouchDrawing". Has a tactile solve while being mostly a mental game, however, one in which trial and error is a possible method of solution.

So anyway, I tend to enjoy listing to audiobooks while I am doing stuff that doesn't require internal monologue, such as doing chores, working on my car, or working in the lab. It helps make the boring, repetitive stuff enjoyable.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anyone here like brain teasers or some remote type of science? (I don't, but I'm curious to see if other ISTPs do. Usually NT's like that kind of stuff).

As long as its actually useful. Star Trek and that type of stuff tend to bore me. Where someone took science and then extropolated out using there imagination. To me its no longer science at that point and really isnt learning anything more then what someone else dreamt up. I love to reverse engineer stuff...practical brain teasers ;)

I once owned a Kenny G CD. Its buried in a CD album somewhere I think. I dont use CDs anymore.

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Reading. Lots of reading. My intuition is well developed.
I run and workout as well. Nothing like an ISTP male in shape.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reading. Lots of reading. My intuition is well developed.
I run and workout as well. Nothing like an ISTP male in shape.

Running. Yes. It's a spiritual thing for me. Gives an immediate sense of accomplishment if you have a difficult run and finish. Mentally toughens you and gives peace at the same time.

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Running. Yes. It's a spiritual thing for me. Gives an immediate sense of accomplishment if you have a difficult run and finish. Mentally toughens you and gives peace at the same time.

I just like the feeling of endorphins and sweat after the run is finished.
If I dont get that stress relief I'm quite grumpy.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm looking for ISTPs with hobbies that go against the grain. I love poems and literature. Shakespeare is one of my favorite authors. However, I wouldn't expect a hobby like this to be on an ISTP profile.

I tried my hand at writing poetry in high school. Honestly, I just wanted to get the attention of some cute NF and SF girls in the creative writing class.

I also did some theatre in high school and college.

I play bass and guitar (is that common with ISTPs?)

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I play a tremendous amount of board-games.
I also play mandolin. My favorite song to play/sing is Poison by Bel Biv DeVoe.
I love to garden. I especially like hydrangeas and clover.

I think poetry is a natural fit for ISTPs;
ISTP poetry benefits from ISTPs' quirks: constant fact-gathering, subjective re-interpretation of facts, and frequent analysis of personal interaction...

I enjoy reading and writing poetry very often.
Some of my favorite poets are; Joseph Brodsky, Hayden Carruth, William Carlos Williams, Czeslaw Milosz, Charles Bukowski, Ray Carver, ......!... many more

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know I'm not an ISTP, but my ISTP uncle really enjoys anything that has to do with geography or nature. Geocaching is a big one :D The basis of it is hiding objects in a certain latitude/longitude and then trying to find it later. I know another ISTP who is big into cars and machinery and likes to draw and model them. One of my ISTP friends is big into video game - but, come on, he's a high school aged boy.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
When I moved to college, I bought a map of the city and another of the state and hung them up in my room. I'd just look at them sometimes, haha! I'm such a dork.

These days I play games like free cell or 2048 on my iPad. I like free cell for a little challenge and 2048 to play pretty mindlessly so I can think about things I have going on.

I don't think many of my interests are very atypical to ISTPs tho. I got into photography a couple of years ago. I am decent with the technical side, but a lot of times my composition sucks. I just don't have the creative eye for really stellar pictures most of the time. But it's still fun!