• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Interesting/Unusual ISTP Hobbies

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm looking for ISTPs with hobbies that go against the grain. I love poems and literature. Shakespeare is one of my favorite authors. However, I wouldn't expect a hobby like this to be on an ISTP profile.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One time my uncle was on vacation and was looking for a hotel. He checked into one with his wife before realizing it was a nudist colony. Now when on trips they often stay at nudist camps :happy2:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
One time my uncle was on vacation and was looking for a hotel. He checked into one with his wife before realizing it was a nudist colony. Now when on trips they often stay at nudist camps :happy2:

1) You're an ENFP.
2) If your uncle's an ISTP, that might not be unusual.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm looking for ISTPs with hobbies that go against the grain. I love poems and literature. Shakespeare is one of my favorite authors. However, I wouldn't expect a hobby like this to be on an ISTP profile.

I love Literature too... I read a lot. I also love writing. I write fiction, not really genre fiction- more like heavy deep stuff. I also write short stories of an erotic nature which have had really good reviews.

The trouble with being an ISTP writer is finishing longer pieces/ a novel. I tend to write when the mood takes me and what I feel like writing at the time. Which doesn't lend itself to ever finishing anything!

Do you write as well or do you just like reading?

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But just so you know I'm a real ISTP, I also love playing rugby, skiing and riding horses.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I like water and boats, just sitting by the lake. I also like animals and looking at exotic fish.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There was a time I loved reading/writing poetry. It was when I wrote in a journal often. Unfortunately I've only done that very infrequently over the past few years, though I mean to more. I've always had a great respect for classic literature. When I read/wrote something moving, I was able to tap into my Ni, which felt like a trance -- like a world of symbols and hidden meanings. So yeah, I see what you mean. I doubt many ISTP descriptions include stuff like that.

Other than that, my hobbies are probably fairly typical. I love pencil drawing, travel, reading, video games, and used to love horse-back riding (I've been toying with the idea of getting back into it). I'd also like to start taking watercolor classes. Does math & programming count as atypical? Probably not. Besides, that's really a career now, not a hobby.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was a creative writing major in college, for a short time, anyway ;) I really enjoyed writing short story fiction. I approached it like an actor, getting into the character. Thinking of how they would react or feel in certain situations makes for realistic writing but ends up being too emotionally exhausting to tap into for long periods of time.

Playing music, I would write songs. I liked doing that. One of my other friends, ISTP 9w8, writes rap songs about his time in the Marines and is writing a set so he can do stand-up. His stuff is very dry. Steven Wright style delivery.

I think that T's in the Arts are overlooked but it does take a critical eye to self-edit and be good at whatever you decide to do.

Other hobbies? I'm really good at laying in bed, in front of the TV, doing nothing for an entire day. At least one of my days off is a Decompression Day. No picking up the phone. No talking. Just food, bathroom and smoke trips. I need that.

I enjoy cooking, trail riding, some video games, beach days, racquetball, billiards. I recently recharged the AC in my car and fixed a short in some wiring. Cars are something I haven't done a lot with so it's a newer "hobby" I guess. Overall, I don't do anything persistently enough to be called hobbies, but when they arise I take full advantage.

AuroraBorealis

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Does anyone here like brain teasers or some remote type of science? (I don't, but I'm curious to see if other ISTPs do. Usually NT's like that kind of stuff).

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone here like brain teasers or some remote type of science? (I don't, but I'm curious to see if other ISTPs do. Usually NT's like that kind of stuff).

Remote? I'm a grad student in biomedical research, but I don't think that's particularly non-ISTP-like.

I like logic and puzzles too, but again, that's a Ti thing - very normal for ISTP.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had a professor in the English department a couple semesters ago who I'm pretty convinced is an ISTP. It was for a class on reading films like literature, and his style was very Se then Ni.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There seem to be a lot of ISTPs interested in literature/ writing. I wonder why this is? Perhaps a strong thinking preference? Or liking being alone?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But just so you know I'm a real ISTP, I also love playing rugby, skiing and riding horses.

Other than that, my hobbies are probably fairly typical. I love pencil drawing, travel, reading, video games, and used to love horse-back riding (I've been toying with the idea of getting back into it). I'd also like to start taking watercolor classes. Does math & programming count as atypical? Probably not. Besides, that's really a career now, not a hobby.

Wonders if Lady Godiva was an ISTP.....:thinking:

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wonders if Lady Godiva was an ISTP.....:thinking:

Lol probably. I normally wear some more clothes than that tho. If it's really hot maybe a bikini top and shorts although that attracts a lot of attention.....

sculpting

My ex ISTP is a very, very good artist drawing with exceptional attention to detail and he draws extremely symbolic things-but if you ask him, "why'd you draw that flower?" he just says I dunno, I just liked it. He also does crazy intense physical activities as well.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ex ISTP is a very, very good artist drawing with exceptional attention to detail and he draws extremely symbolic things-but if you ask him, "why'd you draw that flower?" he just says I dunno, I just liked it. He also does crazy intense physical activities as well.

Hahah... that answer was likely a cop out

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did it look like this? ;)
3cm423.jpg