User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default SP's and delayed gratification

I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience. By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I as a potential ISTP get impatient very easily if something takes longer than it needs to because I want to do everything now and to constantly be having fun.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience.
    I doubt these traits are issues solely of SP's, but this ESTP will admit to having very little patience and not alot of desire to embrace delaying gratification of any kind.

By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?
    Like anyone else, we have to employ a sensible set of checks and balances against our desires.
    Such skills are learned through life experience.
    It might take SP's a few more rounds of mistakes to acquire such skills as compared to the other archetypes, but we are certainly capable of doing so.

In my case, it all comes down to me having a very balanced perspective on life.

Primary Check and Balance:
    I put my family's needs before my own by default.

That's most likely the biggest check and balance of them all, and when used as the initial means of attenuating impulsive desires it is quite effective.

Once the initial urge to do something has been jack-slapped by a sense of familial responsibility, it is then necessary to compare the urge to the existing interests that one has already apportioned time and monetary resources to in order to pursue them over the long run.

Secondary Check and Balance:
    Are you willing to give up the time and money necessary to pursue "X" in order to take on "Y?"

What must you give up and for how long to accomodate this new, shiny, sparkly wonderful thing you are contemplating taking on?

That's the final judgement right there.

Whatever is chosen is part of your life, whether the new object/interest of desire - or an existing favorite.

Conclusion:
    Look at that!

An impulse control afflicted ESTP/7w8 was able to implement a logical set of checks and balances in two quick steps!

:yim_rolling_on_the_

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have trouble with delayed gratification if I really want something. I also tend to want to follow my whims of what I feel like doing or the kind of food I feel like eating (though I tend to keep some kind of systematic hold on nutrition). I also have trouble being sedentary all day unless Im tired or don't feel well. I need to be walked like a dog, lol. Speaking of which I walk pretty fast, like a speed walker and get impatient sometimes with slower moving people.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I doubt these traits are issues solely of SP's, but this ESTP will admit to having very little patience and not alot of desire to embrace delaying gratification of any kind.

Like anyone else, we have to employ a sensible set of checks and balances against our desires.
    Such skills are learned through life experience.
    It might take SP's a few more rounds of mistakes to acquire such skills as compared to the other archetypes, but we are certainly capable of doing so.

In my case, it all comes down to me having a very balanced perspective on life.

Primary Check and Balance:
    I put my family's needs before my own by default.

That's most likely the biggest check and balance of them all, and when used as the initial means of attenuating impulsive desires it is quite effective.

Once the initial urge to do something has been jack-slapped by a sense of familial responsibility, it is then necessary to compare the urge to the existing interests that one has already apportioned time and monetary resources to in order to pursue them over the long run.

Secondary Check and Balance:
    Are you willing to give up the time and money necessary to pursue "X" in order to take on "Y?"

What must you give up and for how long to accomodate this new, shiny, sparkly wonderful thing you are contemplating taking on?

That's the final judgement right there.

Whatever is chosen is part of your life, whether the new object/interest of desire - or an existing favorite.

Conclusion:
    Look at that!

An impulse control afflicted ESTP/7w8 was able to implement a logical set of checks and balances in two quick steps!

:yim_rolling_on_the_

-Alex
    Very interesting to see how your mind works through this process!!! thank you for sharing.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience. By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?
    So an outside source is preventing me from doing/getting what I want? If it's something I greatly desire, I will circumvent roadblocks. If that doesn't work...depending upon how much I wanted what I couldn't get, I would either keep one eye out for change in the situation or lose interest as I've moved on to something else.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

As a potential ESxP, I can practice DG, but I don't like to.

Why? The longer the hike to the cake table, the greater the likelihood that you'll be eaten by a cougar on the way, or someone will eat it, or the cake will rot (obsolete).

For certainty of attaining the goal, shorter paths are more reasonable, and easier to bounce back from, all else equal.

I don't like investing on remote uncertainty with short-run expenses, much less a lack of return. Rather, it almost makes more sense to cash in on a certain today.

Think of all those suckers who think they'll retire rich and happy by saving all their discreet income in bank savings accounts.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

SP's suck with delayed gratification and especially the SE doms because their hardest function to develop is Ni

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Delayed gratification sounds like an oxymoron... I want things, results, right now, having things delayed just makes it really annoying. Even though I know things are going to happen a certain way, I feel really annoyed until it does actually happen.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Nope, can't do delayed gratification. I will weasel my way out of obligations if I have to. That's all it ever inspires me to do.

I guess that's why the whole work-then-reward tactic never worked for me when it came to studying or getting shit done.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness