User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Nope, can't do delayed gratification. I will weasel my way out of obligations if I have to. That's all it ever inspires me to do.

I guess that's why the whole work-then-reward tactic never worked for me when it came to studying or getting shit done.
    One of my first impressions of you when I first came to the forum was that you enjoyed studying.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    SP's suck with delayed gratification and especially the SE doms because their hardest function to develop is Ni
    Is Ni somehow related to delayed gratification?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    One of my first impressions of you when I first came to the forum was that you enjoyed studying.
    I do, but I have to feel like it's a reward to study in and of itself, and that only happens if I find the subject interesting. For non-interesting subjects, I have to just will-power my way through. I can't use that tactic where I promise myself a reward after I get X completed, because I really dislike delayed gratification. I just won't do X and I'll go straight for the reward first.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

@Giggly

If an SP develops their Ni it gives them the ability to focus on the future as well, and not be completely absorbed in the present.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Giggly

If an SP develops their Ni it gives them the ability to focus on the future as well, and not be completely absorbed in the present.
    I see you're ENTP again..its good to have you back on the darkside

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'm going to assume that the stereotype is that SP's would be terrible with practicing delayed gratification and patience. By delayed gratification, I mean like the kind where you REALLY want something but a delay is imposed on you by an outside source and it may be one that you don't logically understand or agree with. In those cases, what do you SP's do and how do you fair with this?
    That's a weird definition - I've always considered delayed gratification to be restraining yourself for the sake of increased future pleasure - if it's an external force doing it, how does self-discipline or patience come into play at all?

If we're going by your definition I'll do something to fix the situation if I can, otherwise I'll deal and try not to worry too much about it. I have no issues with that at all - what else would you do, have a mental breakdown and start yelling at people or something?

If we're talking deprive-yourself-now-for-future-gains I do have a hard time with that. It helps if I can make the present part more tolerable (like finding tasty food that's also healthy) and if the future thing is either pretty soon (like days, maybe weeks) and/or really really good compared to what you're sacrificing (like maybe university education, since it's hard work but really not that bad for the benefit).
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Giggly

I think I was in a major Fi/Ni loop in my early-to-mid twenties. When I was 18 or 20, I'm pretty sure I thought I was immortal - I flipped cars, did 360's in the middle of the freeway, drove 100 mph all the way to the beach, I even had the audacity to hit men twice my size in my late teens.

All of a sudden when I was about 23, I realized OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY. I also had this weird existential crisis where I became temporarily convinced that nothing had any meaning. I even developed a severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and agoraphobia.

Now I'm back to relatively being my brave old self, and think existentialism is stupid, but I have a much firmer grasp on things like future consequences and my own aging and mortality.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's a weird definition - I've always considered delayed gratification to be restraining yourself for the sake of increased future pleasure - if it's an external force doing it, how does self-discipline or patience come into play at all?
    I remember learning this when I was about five. That I ate my chocolate milk and graham crackers too fast, but the kids who ate more slowly still had theirs.

It didn't always help, but I remember vividly that's how I learned this concept.

If we're talking deprive-yourself-now-for-future-gains I do have a hard time with that. It helps if I can make the present part more tolerable (like finding tasty food that's also healthy) and if the future thing is either pretty soon (like days, maybe weeks) and/or really really good compared to what you're sacrificing (like maybe university education, since it's hard work but really not that bad for the benefit).
    Yeah, same. I can still get freaked out planning things too far in advance though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lanton88 View Post
    I see you're ENTP again..its good to have you back on the darkside
    lol, I try on every forum to change my type to ENFP once more, but the Ti users just keep dragging me back in and saying that I use Ti

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I think I was in a major Fi/Ni loop in my early-to-mid twenties. When I was 18 or 20, I'm pretty sure I thought I was immortal - I flipped cars, did 360's in the middle of the freeway, drove 100 mph all the way to the beach, I even had the audacity to hit men twice my size in my late teens.

All of a sudden when I was about 23, I realized OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO DIE SOMEDAY. I also had this weird existential crisis where I became temporarily convinced that nothing had any meaning. I even developed a severe anxiety disorder, panic attacks, and agoraphobia.

Now I'm back to relatively being my brave old self, and think existentialism is stupid, but I have a much firmer grasp on things like future consequences and my own aging and mortality.
    lol, it's good to know that you are better now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

lol, I try on every forum to change my type to ENFP once more
    This would explain being infuriated by Fe doms. Possibly.