• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Ask an ISFP

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are ISFPs more like INFPs? Or ESFPs? Why/why not?

From a functional perspective IxFPs are both Fi doms, so they would be similar in that regard, but xSFPs both have Se and an ISFP with a great command of Se might seem more ESFP-like in some situations or to some people, especially compared to a really Ne-heavy INFP.

Keirsey would say more similar to ESFP because of similar temperament.

I think it depends on the individual.

Do you like beer?

I love beer, but I drink very specific beers to my mood and the weather. I think Fat Tire and Shock Top are good "go to" beers, and that the best cheap beers are probably Coors Light and *gasp* PBR. I'd rather drink Corona with lime in the summer and Newcastle or Guinness when the weather is cooler.

I used to work as a server in a microbrewery, and we had this awesome dark chocolate cherry beer...but it would be too heavy to drink all the time. The blueberry wheat was lighter.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's good you drink beer, but I mean like...do you somehow relate to INFPs or ESFPs more, I already know the functional breakdown :alttongue:

wolfy

awsm
That's good you drink beer, but I mean like...do you somehow relate to INFPs or ESFPs more, I already know the functional breakdown :alttongue:

I'd go esfp between those two. From NZ? Me too... I like Steinlager best.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Hmmm. I started questioning if I was SP because of what I didn't relate to with some self-typed NFs. I mean, I think I probably have more in common with some INFPs than others, and same with ESFPs...people have different interests, and some INFPs almost seem INTP-ish to me, and I don't feel much in common with them, they seem a lot more serious and philosophical...and in some cases irritating...but some ESFPs to me seem WAY too extroverted, and I don't relate to that especially IRL like I'm just like K, enough, but those ESFPs may be more ESTP-like, or maybe I'm just a HSP and I can't take a ruckus too much because ...well...when I was younger I got used to certain kinds of uptight people giving me funny looks because I never had a problem with Performing, unasked, say at parties...so in that regard I relate more to ESFP.

I relate to all of the FPs in one way or another, because FP are my strongest letters (and I'm most sure of being Fi/Te and Pe).

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NZs the best right?

That was insightful. One more question, what kind of music do you listen to?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh it was a LTR. Maybe she really did have a problem with articulation, then. Some people do, for various reasons. Some people just aren't very verbal, and others are quite articulate yet they don't like to talk about their feelings, or may not enjoy expressing their opinions.

Maybe she was an E9. The ISTJ I mentioned in another post up there who has issues with this (that he openly has talked about, I talked to him constantly, the problem wasn't talking, but for him to open up or to talk about feelings and that sort of stuff, and he admitted he doesn't like it and prefers to express things through music, loyalty, actions, etc.)

I can see where IxFP E9s may potentially be the most indirect people on earth, if she didn't even explain to you whether or why for she didn't want to talk about something, or didn't say it just wasn't her way.

Definitely not verbal. I used to get very frustrated with it. Then again, I'm not the most patient person.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are ISFPs more like INFPs? Or ESFPs? Why/why not? Do you like beer?

Personally speaking, I'm more like an INFP.

I'm very Fi heavy, so even while I think my Se is pretty decent, it's obscured by my Fi. I also believe my Ni is rather close to my Se, which makes me come across as "N" sometimes. I don't know, I mean, over on PerC, A LOT of people think that I'm INFP, but I am pretty sure of my SeNi.

i don't like beer.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are ISFPs more like INFPs? Or ESFPs? Why/why not? Do you like beer?

Hmm... When I was younger I would have said ESFP every day of the week... Probably why I used to test as an ESFP... But as I've gotten older and become a parent... I'm starting to relate more to INFPs. Probably because I'm thinking a lot more about the future than I used to, and I'm not near as extroverted as I was in the past.

NZs the best right?

That was insightful. One more question, what kind of music do you listen to?

I'm all over the place with music. For the most part I listen to country music... But I really like older rock... A little bit of classical/musicals here and there.... I really don't have any music I particularly hate....

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Maybe she didnt want to talk to me. It was a long term relationship. On the one hand, we were very close. However, I wanted her to be more open and direct in terms of verbal comminication. I wanted her to tell me how she felt or thought about things. She probably got tired of me asking for her opinions and ideas or blathering on about whatever I was thinking about at the moment.

How long was this relationship? And what do you mean by 'more open and direct in terms of verbal communication'?

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Fellow ISFPs.... How are we different from INFPs?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not really an INFP that's just seriously aching to be an ISFP....

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not really an INFP that's just seriously aching to be an ISFP....

Usage of Se and Ni instead of Ne and Si. I test INFP a lot too, but I'm not like any other INFP I know of. I think my Se has made me more sensory or experience oriented than an INFP would be, that I wouldn't be content to not experience things for myself, for example. I also have moments where I "just know" things, and I'm more interested in why or elucidating symbolism than I am with coming up with "what if" kinds of ideas like an Ne type would probably do.

I also tend to feel that I'm an ambivert and somewhere between an SP and NF, which apparently suits ENFPs and ISFPs more than INFPs or ESFPs.

S

Stansmith

Many INFPs seem to have an easier time articulating what it is they want from their lives, as well as the world in general....although many of them can be just as flustered. They also seem to have more of an upbeat, jittery, choppy energy when in their extroverted moods, while many ISFPs have more of a consistent, casual, almost self-conscious energy to their speech. Although I've seen both styles manifested in each of them.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you feel there is any truth to ISFPs and ENFPs being very similar, and if so, in what way?

S

Stansmith

Do you feel there is any truth to ISFPs and ENFPs being very similar, and if so, in what way?

I relate more to INFPs than I do ENFPs, honestly. Especially the 7s. I can't really match their enthusiasm.

The comparison is valid in many cases, at least in terms of surface traits, but I'm sure most ISFPs relate moreso to the INFP's internal experience than the ENFP's. I think its the ISFP's tendency to directly engage with the world on some level that's often perceived as ambiversion, and can perhaps be compared to the ENFP's openness to new experiences.

Sunny Ghost

I also tend to feel that I'm an ambivert and somewhere between an SP and NF, which apparently suits ENFPs and ISFPs more than INFPs or ESFPs.
I agree with this. There's something about the energy of ENFP's and ISFP's that can sometimes be confused. And I've seen a lot of ISFP's mistype their self as ENFP, too.

Many INFPs seem to have an easier time articulating what it is they want from their lives, as well as the world in general....although many of them can be just as flustered. They also seem to have more of an upbeat, jittery, choppy energy when in their extroverted moods, while many ISFPs have more of a consistent, casual, almost self-conscious energy to their speech. Although I've seen both styles manifested in each of them.
I feel like I can teeter those two modes. It really depends on who I am around and how comfortable the other party makes me feel in their presence, or their general energy/aura. Some people make me more upbeat, while others make me feel more mellowed out and consistent.

I relate more to INFPs than I do ENFPs, honestly. Especially the 7s. I can't really match their enthusiasm.

The comparison is valid in many cases, at least in terms of surface traits, but I'm sure most ISFPs relate moreso to the INFP's internal experience than the ENFP's. I think its the ISFP's tendency to directly engage with the world on some level that's often perceived as ambiversion, and can perhaps be compared to the ENFP's openness to new experiences.
The really mellow ENFP's are the ones that can become confused with the more outgoing, passionate sx ISFP's, and vise versa. I've met some ENFP's that I thought were ISFP upon first encounter, only to realize they only seemed slightly introverted/subdued due to having their head in the Ne clouds. Both are offbeat and tend to have a similar interaction style, as well as physical style.

Example:
Grimes: ENFP, but I thought ISFP at first.
mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:757447

Lykke Li: I'm pretty sure ISFP.
lykke_li_08.jpg

Crystal Castle's Alice: I'm indecisive, but constantly feel an either ENFP or ISFP vibe.
2835509938_e86829a468.jpg

Karen O: Most people place her as ISFP, but some debate ENFP, too.
Karen-karen-o-18400738-586-402.jpg

Fictional character Carrie Bradshaw: constant debate between ISFP and ENFP.
carrie8.jpg

-----
Just found this: http://www.pinterest.com/janerekas/fashion-by-type-mbti/

S

Stansmith

Yeah, I can vibe with some of the ones here.....I can't say I've had much experience with ENFPs IRL.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
apparently Ne-Si types cycle through more ideas than Se-Ni types.