User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Ask an ISFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I don't blame you for not going back. I thought therapists were supposed to keep an open-mind and not pre-judge people. Shame on the therapist for not giving you a fair shot.
    Thanks. And I really appreciate your insights overall
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

How do you react if someone tries manipulating you? What about if the person is your partner of many years and this is a pattern of the relationship? Would you stay and 'take' it?

I'm thinking of my dad, not sure if he is ISFP or not. Because of the way my mother is, determining his type is kind of tricky... (I realize the situation is highly individual, but still interested in your thoughts and answers)
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    How do you react if someone tries manipulating you? What about if the person is your partner of many years and this is a pattern of the relationship? Would you stay and 'take' it?

I'm thinking of my dad, not sure if he is ISFP or not. Because of the way my mother is, determining his type is kind of tricky... (I realize the situation is highly individual, but still interested in your thoughts and answers)
    Sometimes I pick up on manipulations really quick and sometimes it takes me awhile... If I catch it quick I get really angry....but if I don't catch on for awhile then I just wind up being really hurt.

In a relationship, if it was a pattern of manipulation I've been known to give ultimatums... Either it ends or the relationship ends. If someone can't talk to me and tell me what they want/expect from me...then they aren't worth my time. I will admit that I have been weak in some relationships and stuck around longer than I should, but it's never been from manipulation.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    ISFPs,

How do you deal with anger toward people that you care about?
    Unfortunately, when I was younger, I'd lash out. It's more of a defensive mechanism because sometimes I tend to take things too personally. Motherhood has changed me significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    How do other people get you to open up about your thoughts/feelings?
    I would have to be in a mood for talking plus I listen to my gut feelings about the person. I usually takes about knowing a person for two years before I'll go into that territory. I need to know or feel that I am respected.

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post

When I was single I would of walked out, no second chances. I would not of married my husband if he was manipulative, I just don't care for those kind of games (had them when growing up). I'm a straight forward person and appreicate people who are the same.
    4w5

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    I would have to be in a mood for talking plus I listen to my gut feelings about the person. I usually takes about knowing a person for two years before I'll go into that territory. I need to know or feel that I am respected.
    Two years is a long time.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

LOL.

I don't see the same people every day. There is one very good friend (of 7 years) that I see maybe 3 times a year and she lives across the street from me. That's just how her and my schedule works.

Perhaps I let people in more than I realize.
    4w5

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    LOL.

I don't see the same people every day. There is one very good friend that I see maybe 3 times a year and she lives across the street from me. That's just how her and my schedule works.

Perhaps I let people in more than I realize.
    I knew an ISFP a long time ago who seemed to have a difficult time putting her feelings/thoughts into words. I felt like I was always trying to pull things out of her. That's why I asked the question.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I knew an ISFP a long time ago who seemed to have a difficult time putting her feelings/thoughts into words. I felt like I was always trying to pull things out of her. That's why I asked the question.
    From what I have observed, it can be very hard for IXXP to put thoughts into words. I think the SPs are less inclined to even feel the need to do this, so it is good to focus in on their (often subtle) actions. I had to explain to my ISFP son that even though he is often aware of people's moods and feelings, not everyone is like this and encourage him to take some steps to communicate things in words.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I feel like this statement fits me perfectly. I often get frustrated at not being able to convey what's in my head/heart. Now, because of that, I usually end up snapping at friends/family for trying to pull things out of me... And it's not out of aggravation at them for asking...it's aggravation at myself for not being able to gather my thoughts/feelings and talk about it with others.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

This is almost exactly how/ what I'm thinking when people just keep talking and talking and talking about pointless stuff.

Do any of you have a similar lack of patience for boring pointless small talk?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug