• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] Common ISFP Issues

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on what I've read, some common ISFP issues include:

Sensitivity to criticism - May be very sensitive to criticism and see criticism where none was intended. May even take the fact that another person has a different point of view as criticism.

In their own world - Because of their dominant Fi, ISFPs may value their feelings and opinions far more than others. The are prone to taking in information that only supports their personal opinions. They can ignore the feelings, perspectives and point of view of others. They may also be unaware of how their behavior affects others. Taken to an extreme, this combination of behaviors can lead others to perceive them as unrealistic, selfish, or eccentric.

Do you agree with these? Other thoughts?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I wouldn't say I'm particularly sensitive to criticism, as long as said criticism isn't meant to be hurtful. I do tend to value my own feelings and opinions much more than others though. However, I do try to take in information regardless of whether or not it supports said opinions. It also seems that as I get older, I care less about what other people think, even when I probably should.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes I agree.

I also think the only cure for it is Ni development. That way one can learn to see things from a distanced, shifting perspective, and realize that everything isn't an affront to one's own values or ego.

On the other hand, SFPs may very much internalize not only their values, but their experiences as personal, making their personal attachment to their beliefs that much more personal. Like if my Fi values are based on what I've seen and experienced in real life, it's all going to seem a lot more dire and serious to me than someone who is just arm-chair philosophizing in a cozy manner. People may be like, "calm down why is this so serious to you" to which my response is "because it affects real people, not just *ideals* of people."

I really think Ni development is key. But healthy Ni development. Fi/Ni loops just lead to further paranoia that everybody hates you, and may be out to undermine your values/vision.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really think Ni development is key. But healthy Ni development. Fi/Ni loops just lead to further paranoia that everybody hates you, and may be out to undermine your values/vision.

I wonder what the difference is between an Ni/Fi loop and an Fi/Ni loop. They seem like they would be very similar.

Mia.

I know an ISFP and we get along wonderfully. The S/N difference can trip us up, but that's the exception. We have a lot of fun.

One issue that hasn't been mentioned that sometimes is levied against ISFPs in general is the potential for aesthetic/sensory snobbery and materialism. This particular ISFP is very much a snob and overly focused in these regards. She places very high value on material goods. She would see it as having refined taste. Which is true in one sense, but it is also largely directed by her environment and peers and perceived sense of status, rather than a pure innate sophistication or appreciation for the item itself, even though I know ISFPs do have fine senses. I appreciate the finer things, but it gets a little eye-roll-y in the room when one suffers elitist, askance "omg - like, I can't believe she will drink that/wear that" looks from what is essentially a glorified label ho (she'll wear anything and everything with a label, just because it has a label).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know an ISFP and we get along wonderfully. The S/N difference can trip us up, but that's the exception. We have a lot of fun.

One issue that that hasn't been mentioned that I know is often mentioned regarding ISFPs in general is the potential for aesthetic/sensory snobbery and materialism. This particular ISFP is very much a snob and overly focused in these regards. She places very high value on material goods. She would see it as having refined taste. Which is true in one sense, but it is also largely directed by her environment and peers, rather than a pure sense of innate sophistication, even though I know ISFPs do have fine senses. I appreciate the finer things, but it gets a little eye-roll-y in the room when one suffers elitist, askance "omg - like, I can't believe she will drink that/wear that/behave like that" looks from what is essentially a glorified label ho (she'll wear anything and everything with a label, just because it has a label).

I would have thought ISFPs generally wouldn't care about material things. Is this common?

Mia.

I would have thought ISFPs generally wouldn't care about material things. Is this common?

As usual, I think it's individual and a matter of development/maturity. Their keen Se paired with dom Fi can appreciate fine things, beauty, art in a way that other types often have to work harder to do. If an ISFP isn't that mature or developed in their expression of it, I've seen it take the road of materialism and obsession with status trophies (rather than actual finer things) that is devoid of logic and real soul.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, ISFPs (and INFPs) can have aesthetic snobbery because of being an Fi dom. I've had problems with being an aesthetic snob, I still believe inwardly that I have better taste in film than many people, blah blah blah.

However, label snobbery isn't really having "refined aesthetic taste"...I know an ISTJ who has label snobbery. He is brand loyal, and proud of his $300 jeans. Of course, he also has Fi.

Fi and Si are inclined to have very particular tastes, I think. On the other hand, I don't think her particular penchant for labels necessarily has anything to do with her being ISFP, and may even have to do with her being immature.

I do agree with Highlander, though, that ISFPs aren't necessarily materialistic by nature.

Mia.

Yes, ISFPs (and INFPs) can have aesthetic snobbery because of being an Fi dom. I've had problems with being an aesthetic snob, I still believe inwardly that I have better taste in film than many people, blah blah blah.

However, label snobbery isn't really having "refined aesthetic taste"...I know an ISTJ who has label snobbery. He is brand loyal, and proud of his $300 jeans. Of course, he also has Fi.

Fi and Si are inclined to have very particular tastes, I think. On the other hand, I don't think her particular penchant for labels necessarily has anything to do with her being ISFP, and may even have to do with her being immature.

I do agree with Highlander, though, that ISFPs aren't necessarily materialistic by nature.

I don't think their nature is materialistic at all - I just think it can be channeled in that direction and take on that flavor when levels of development/maturity are low in particular areas. She says her love of labels is an expression of her fine aesthetic taste. She says she wants to be surrounded by the best things because her elevated senses and standards demand it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think their nature is materialistic at all - I just think it can be channeled in that direction and take on that flavor when levels of development/maturity are low in particular areas. She says her love of labels is an expression of her fine aesthetic taste. She says she wants to be surrounded by the best things because her elevated senses and standards demand it.

Well Jung describes the Se type as looking for either base sensations in the less developed sort, and having a very refined sense of taste as a more educated or mature sort.

This could potentially be channeled into things that cost lots of money, if the person isn't really looking at quality. Quality is more important to me than labels, to me labels represent Fe or Te actually. Fe would be "belonging to the right social group" and Te would be "I have achieved this status."

Maybe it's how her Te shows itself, I don't know, my Te shows itself by being "tough" or confrontational rather than being consumed with status symbols, but I can see how Te can be consumed with status under some circumstances, as "proof" of their achievement or appealing to a recognized "authority." I always thought that was the issue with the ISTJ I mentioned, because he's quite concerned with achievement, and being dominant, and has dreams of having his own business...and I think he's misusing expensive clothing and labels as the illusion that he's already achieved that accomplishment he wants to have in the world.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sensitivity to criticism - May be very sensitive to criticism and see criticism where none was intended. May even take the fact that another person has a different point of view as criticism.

Well I'd say that if someone strikes a sensitive spot in my psyche and it comes off as an attack of some sorts, then I'd say I get sensitive. A lot of the time criticism in this way is needless and totally nonconstructive. If someone tries to give me a new idea about a way of doing something I appreciate that. But if someone just says "you're doing this wrong" then it's basically pointless. Sure I'll be sensitive to it, but not only that, I will also disregard what they've said. If they don't understand me/the way that I do things, then their advice will be null.

A lot of this I think correlates to FiSe, if I have a way of doing things and someone has a different way of doing it and it conflicts, then I may bring it up to see if I can refine what I'm doing in that moment. If it's not constructive and it's negative in nature, then I may perceive that as criticism.

If someone critiques something I'm doing, say my boss whom I care about a lot, and I know that they do it because they care, then that's fine. It's all about intentions.

In their own world - Because of their dominant Fi, ISFPs may value their feelings and opinions far more than others.

Generally, yes. If I care for you and your opinion then I will value your feelings and opinions; but other than that I need a reason to look to care about others' opinions and feelings.

The are prone to taking in information that only supports their personal opinions.

Mm maybe. I look for any kind of information really. I see what having an attitude like this does to people, and what it's done to me in a few very indirect way; and it's destructive at best. It made me less open minded when I was basically looking for confirmation bias (not intellectually or anything, in a more feeling oriented part of life) in the people realm: relationships, friendships, etc. I only wanted to see what already supported what I already believed about people. This got me into a lot of shit and I've taken on a more laid back, open minded POV toward people. I tend to be pretty judgmental of people that I perceive as being "normal" but in these past years I've realize no one is truly normal, that is just a jaded lens that they try to force on their own life and try to force others to see. I used to idealize situations with people a lot, but now I've taken on a more I guess objective, detached view along with my normal POV to try to be as clear as possible.

I think that the better way of looking at things is to try to get as much information as possible to formulate and refine your own opinions. It boils down to developing and honing Se while letting Ni be a thorn in it's side.

They can ignore the feelings, perspectives and point of view of others.

If this person is perceived as stupid and close minded, then yes, without a question. But I'm always trying to learn about people in general. I always try to figure out what makes others tick in terms of perspectives. Sometimes it just doesn't line up with what makes sense to me, and then I may judge a bit in that way.

They may also be unaware of how their behavior affects others. Taken to an extreme, this combination of behaviors can lead others to perceive them as unrealistic, selfish, or eccentric.

Yes. I used to be totally socially unaware, going back and reading old IMs and emails from when I was 13 makes me facepalm. Some of my social decisions were pretty bad. But in general I am pretty unaware, and I can take on a behavioral self check with the people that I perceive as mattering. (This is more about respecting their opinions and such, if anything with people that matter I believe in being myself to the fullest so that I'm not lying to them. I check to make sure that they are respecting me and that I am respecting them. Other's ideas are beautiful and have the potential to change you in the best ways possible, and that is always something that has to be considered.) But when it comes to the general public I just honestly don't give a shit, or with people who I don't honestly see as having much substance to me.

I'm pretty sure some people perceive me as selfish in that I try to do my own thing a lot, and I definitely am perceived as eccentric by almost everyone that I meet, that's become just a fact of life. I have no bad intentions, I just believe in fairness and having as little attached strings as possible in order to maintain said fairness; and sometimes when I try to enforce this I may appear selfish. But I do actually have other people in mind; think the golden rule.

One issue that hasn't been mentioned that sometimes is levied against ISFPs in general is the potential for aesthetic/sensory snobbery and materialism. This particular ISFP is very much a snob and overly focused in these regards. She places very high value on material goods. She would see it as having refined taste. Which is true in one sense, but it is also largely directed by her environment and peers and perceived sense of status, rather than a pure innate sophistication or appreciation for the item itself, even though I know ISFPs do have fine senses. I appreciate the finer things, but it gets a little eye-roll-y in the room when one suffers elitist, askance "omg - like, I can't believe she will drink that/wear that" looks from what is essentially a glorified label ho (she'll wear anything and everything with a label, just because it has a label).

This person sounds like a social first in the enneagram... as I completely do not understand this attitude. It's more practical to wear clothing that's comfortable. Most clothes I like are cheap and I get them because of the personal significance, like a band shirt or a shirt about some other kind of media that I like (like I have a couple of Mass Effect shirts). I wear clothes more to give someone a representation of who I am. I think that the end result is the same, for representing who we are, but then everything other than that is based on other factors. I would HATE to wear a brand name because it would make me appear like other people, and anyone that I see wearing brands I almost instantly lose some respect for on the surface because all I can think about is "Well they want to represent themselves through a brand, and they spent way too much money on that. So they are both impractical and not even trying to be an individual, external things are obviously more important to them than more important internal things."

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about pent up anger?

My son has been through a bad time. He's disillusioned with his dad (we recently got a divorce) and experiencing a lot of anger toward him. He doesn't really express this toward his dad beyond sarcastic humor and passive-aggressive moments of "I forgot" when his dad requests something of him. It's kinda against his code not to be nice, even if when doesn't particularly like someone. He will talk to me here and there. I know he's angry, hurt, etc. He doesn't go into depth. I told him I'm here if he wants to talk and that I will do whatever I can to make sure we all get through this together. He seems like he has lost his way and what little motivation he had to get things done (which I can definitely understand). I feel at a loss to help him, though. Right now, I'm just trying to be patient and supportive. Anymore suggestions?

Oh and thank you.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What about pent up anger?

My son has been through a bad time. He's disillusioned with his dad (we recently got a divorce) and experiencing a lot of anger toward him. He doesn't really express this toward his dad beyond sarcastic humor and passive-aggressive moments of "I forgot" when his dad requests something of him. He will talk to me here and there. I know he's angry, hurt, etc. He doesn't go into depth. I told him I'm here if he wants to talk and that I will do whatever I can to make sure we all get through this together. He seems like he has lost his way and what little motivation he had to get things done (which I can definitely understand). I feel at a loss to help him, though. Right now, I'm just trying to be patient and supportive. Anymore suggestions?

He sounds like an Enneagram 9. They have a strong relationship with anger, but don't feel comfortable with it, and their defense mechanism is to avoid, avoid, avoid and become excessively passive.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He sounds like an Enneagram 9. They have a strong relationship with anger, but don't feel comfortable with it, and their defense mechanism is to avoid, avoid, avoid and become excessively passive.

Spot on. He is with an 8 wing.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spot on. He is with an 8 wing.

I am a 9w8 sx/sp and an ISFP, and my suggestion to you is to give him his space and let him find things out on his own. Whenever people try to steer me into looking at things a certain way I get very stubborn in situations like that. If he's like me then he would probably rather talk to his friends about it than anyone directly involved and sort it out on his own that way. Distance may be ideal in this situation I'd say. I would have to know more about the situation to understand and contribute more (you can always PM me if you'd like :) ).

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would have to know more about the situation to understand and contribute more (you can always PM me if you'd like :) ).

PM in your box. Thanks!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would cause an ISFP to have low self esteem?

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx

The first half of this... yes... I've definitely seen some of my mom's comments as a personal attack, even though she never even intended them as criticism. The second half of this...doesn't fit me at all... I'm probably the most open person in my circle. I can appreciate when someone has a viewpoint that differs from mine. The only thing I don't like is when I'm called stupid for having the viewpoint I do.

In their own world - Because of their dominant Fi, ISFPs may value their feelings and opinions far more than others. The are prone to taking in information that only supports their personal opinions. They can ignore the feelings, perspectives and point of view of others. They may also be unaware of how their behavior affects others. Taken to an extreme, this combination of behaviors can lead others to perceive them as unrealistic, selfish, or eccentric.

Eh... I can't really relate to this at all. I've jumped on my dad numerous times for making statements to my mom that hurt her (when he just meant it in a joking way). I'm also very aware of how my behavior affects others...

In regards to this statement... I think the reason I can't relate to it is because of the environment I grew up in... So perhaps if I hadn't grown to recognize how my actions affected others this would fit me.

I battled self esteem issues for a long time. The majority of my issues stemmed from being put down a lot. It was hard for me to believe anyone who told me I was pretty, smart, etc because of all the bullies that had told me I was ugly, dumb, etc. For some reason, negative comments stuck with me more than the positive comments did.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Not being appreciated for our creative endeavors. Seeing ourselves as boring or not impacting anyone.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not being appreciated for our creative endeavors. Seeing ourselves as boring or not impacting anyone.

This is good.

So let's say you have an ISFP that in their writing of emails, continually mentions that what they are writing is boring. Why would they do that or think that?

As far as not impacting anyone is concerned - that's really interesting. Can you elaborate on this?