User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 106

  1. #51
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    @Webslinger Fi/Ni looping (too much introversion) can run an ISFP or INTJ into the ground. I feel as though I was stuck in it in the past. If someone is introverting too much, they need to extrovert their self in whatever manner is appropriate to their personality type in order to balance out. So for me, it took delving back into the arts and my impulses. Drawing again, painting again, going outside and sky gazing.

    It would be the same if an extrovert were extroverting too much. They'd lose a sense of self without introverting any.
    Ah. Yes, I agree, and from experience as well. I thought you meant that developing Se was bad for the feeling introvert because you said "detrimental".
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  2. #52
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I have a very good friend who is isfp ... we understand each other's Fi very well and let it have space to do what it needs to do.

    I'm posting because we were chatting on typology and this thread got me thinking about that conversation, so I will share a little bit too see what other isfp's think.

    Basically, we got talking about Fi - Si looping vs Fi - Ni looping (although we didn't call it that - she's not as interested in or knowledgeable about typology in general). I told her that I could replay events from my life and feel the emotions from them as real as if they were happening to me, events from decades ago even. Her comment on that was that she did not experience that in any way, but had kind of built-up expectations of how many tears would be shed before one was healed from a past hurt. So, for example a bad break-up to her means a quantity of pain that has to be experienced before one is able to move on. When she cries, she says to herself, "Well of course I'm crying, it takes 6 months of tears before I will feel better able to move forward." And then, when that 'quota' of sorts has been reached, she does not go back there, the emotions are done and she feels pretty much nothing about that pain anymore. Doesn't feel it again.

    isfp's - can you relate to that too?
    I relate well to both, which may sound mutually exclusive, but not really. Everything that happens will stick around inside me forever, but in packages that close after a while. After that time, they'll still be there and can be opened up in full sensory detail, but no longer are an everyday source of tears.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  3. #53
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Ah. Yes, I agree, and from experience as well. I thought you meant that developing Se was bad for the feeling introvert because you said "detrimental".
    Yeah, that was very poor wording on my part. I'm not sure what word I meant to say. Let's replace that with "crucial."
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  4. #54
    Senior Member Pinker85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Not understanding the obsession with stability and things -- feeling unattached to material things and places. Playing with fire to keep stimulation up. Acting in ways that make no sense to others and being labeled nuts due to this. Needing lots of physical activity.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

  5. #55
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinker85 View Post
    Not understanding the obsession with stability and things -- feeling unattached to material things and places. Playing with fire to keep stimulation up. Acting in ways that make no sense to others and being labeled nuts due to this. Needing lots of physical activity.
    Being a gambler in every aspect of life.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  6. #56
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinker85 View Post
    Not understanding the obsession with stability and things -- feeling unattached to material things and places. Playing with fire to keep stimulation up. Acting in ways that make no sense to others and being labeled nuts due to this. Needing lots of physical activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Being a gambler in every aspect of life.
    I don't really relate to this at all, except that I'm either a complete bum and on my laptop 8 or 10 hours a day sometimes if I'm feeling lazy and don't have stuff to do, or I need to be walking and pacing around.

    I very much like certain things and places, and am not at all a gambler in life.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  7. #57
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    I've experienced FiNi looping as a constant dwelling and focus on categories, concepts, archetypes and black-and-white judgments rather than appreciating whats actually going on in objective reality. I would sit in class thinking about how I was missing out on the highschool experience, instead of actually experiencing it. I would read disapproval in others, at one point I felt like I was constantly being stared at. I would look in the mirror obsessively and dwell on how worthless I was if I didn't like what I saw on particular day. I often interpreted it as "fate", or something akin to ego death. I spent a lot of time fantasizing about ideal circumstances vividly, and enjoyed them more than tangible reality.

    I was obsessed with (cultural) anthropology, sociology, and history, and viewed the world almost exclusively from that lense. When I would go on vacation to my parents' country at 15-16, I would spend most of time obsessively observing patterns in dialect, regional differences, infrastructure, temperament and phenotype, and fitting all of these subjective observations into my sociological framework. I found it fun/interesting, but most of my peers did not share my interests, and I couldn't connect with them for shit as a result. That obsession has largely been replaced by psychology, myers-Briggs and enneagram. There are times where I can barely get myself to think outside of theory, conceptual frameworks, or my own personal conclusions, and everything I see in the outside world (through Se) only serves to support them. I could delve deeper into some of my self-indulgent obsessions throughout my life, but they get really weird.

    Can you relate? @Webslinger and @IndyAnnaJoan

  8. #58
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I could delve deeper into some of my self-indulgent obsessions throughout my life, but they get really weird.
    Ooo, I want to hear. I have weird self indulgent obsessions, too.

    If you reside so much in Fi-Ni, why do you think you test higher in Ne (than Ni) on cognitive function tests? I'm curious because I always test highest in Fi-Ni, but the Fi-Si loop sounds more like me, being more avoidant than paranoid, and constantly rehashing things from the past and how they made me feel when I'm unhealthy- but that's also kind of a four thing.

    Sometimes I do wonder if I have a fi-ni thing going on though because I can jump to conclusions at times when I care about a person and they don't respond right away. I can immediately think, "oh, they hate me," and instantly feel like shit. I think this less now though than I did when I was younger. Now when I find myself slipping into that train of thought I'll think, "Well they're probably just busy, etc" and once I've considered some possible reasons why they wouldn't have responded I feel better. But maybe this is also just a sexual instinct + human thing.
    So much of what you say is colored by your social instinct. It's interesting.

  9. #59
    Stansmith
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Ooo, I want to hear. I have weird self indulgent obsessions, too.

    If you reside so much in Fi-Ni, why do you think you test higher in Ne (than Ni) on cognitive function tests? I'm curious because I always test highest in Fi-Ni, but the Fi-Si loop sounds more like me, being more avoidant than paranoid, and constantly rehashing things from the past and how they made me feel when I'm unhealthy- but that's also kind of a four thing.

    Sometimes I do wonder if I have a fi-ni thing going on though because I can jump to conclusions at times when I care about a person and they don't respond right away. I can immediately think, "oh, they hate me," and instantly feel like shit. I think this less now though than I did when I was younger. Now when I find myself slipping into that train of thought I'll think, "Well they're probably just busy, etc" and once I've considered some possible reasons why they wouldn't have responded I feel better. But maybe this is also just a sexual instinct + human thing.
    So much of what you say is colored by your social instinct. It's interesting.
    I do tend to see the world in terms of possibilities, but it's more of an abstract, intrinsic feeling than actually thinking about possibilities in my immediate environment. When I do imagine possibilities, they're usually involve images and situations that have nothing to do with what I'm objectively seeing (Ne). I tend to look at the world in wonder and curiousity, and tend to think about and dwell on things that aren't related to whats objectively happening in front of me. I also have a tendency to read into things a lot.

    As for what you described, it's still in line with FiSi apparently, since you're noticing something's 'off' with an interaction, and interpret it as negative based on a past experience.

  10. #60
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stansmith View Post
    I've experienced FiNi looping as a constant dwelling and focus on categories, concepts, archetypes and black-and-white judgments rather than appreciating whats actually going on in objective reality. I would sit in class thinking about how I was missing out on the highschool experience, instead of actually experiencing it. I would read disapproval in others, at one point I felt like I was constantly being stared at. I would look in the mirror obsessively and dwell on how worthless I was if I didn't like what I saw on particular day. I often interpreted it as "fate", or something akin to ego death. I spent a lot of time fantasizing about ideal circumstances vividly, and enjoyed them more than tangible reality.
    Yes. I experience it as over-interpreting a resonant event based on my reaction to it over the facts of what transpired (skipping over Se?), and if I fail to seek a reality check, imagining this as the beginning of a wicked fate that is hardly connected anymore to what actually happened. All is done guarded in impotent silence, and thank god. Often this ends when I catch myself enjoying the creation of a downfall more than the original trigger was significant. The seriousness drains. I might go, "Huh, this is going so far that it's getting darkly funny." I write down any thought worth keeping.

    Idealized fantasies can function as stress relief, although I don't believe in them anymore like I did as a teen. I'll play in these most when on a long walk or getting to sleep at night.

    I get the obsessions, too. Maybe I'll spend hours or days researching an idea, seeing it everywhere, forgetting to eat or sleep, when in the end it was all for an over-esoteric personal purpose. Not that there's something wrong with that.

    Once I read FiSi described as the past not merely predicting the future, but being the future. Not my functions, but I know exactly what that means. Nobody else can get one out of that. The mind has to choose to open itself back up and allow new possibilities in.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Common ENFP issues
    By Amargith in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 781
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 08:13 PM
  2. [ENFJ] Common ENFJ Issues
    By Domino in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 08:48 PM
  3. [INFJ] Common INFJ issues
    By fidelia in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 686
    Last Post: 10-20-2017, 07:41 PM
  4. [INFP] Common INFP Issues
    By Seymour in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 09-28-2017, 10:43 PM
  5. [ENTP] The Limits of Awesomeness (alternatively, Common ENTP Issues)
    By Qre:us in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO