• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Was Leonardo da Vinci an ISTP or INTP?

ISTP or INTP?

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't have never questioned his type being other than INTP because his extravagant ideas of machinary were so outside the norm, and I always viewed him as an outcast which I view ISTPs to not be. I might be getting him mixed up with Michelangelo, but wasn't he born out of wedlock and that was like a big deal back in those days? So, he was given like a "scarlet letter" in his early years.

Ya I don't even think he knew who his father was, but his mother was a peasant woman named caterina.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ok then, carry on !

I have no idea regarding da Vinci. I have visited an exhibition last month where they showed some of his work rebuild by hobby model makers and by all means he was an ingenieous engineer and lateral thinker. So far we used to give him intj or entp and I tended to lean more towards entp, cause intjs are systemic thinkers and only the best of them manage to think out of the box.

Da Vinci strikes me as an older version of Evariste Galois, the french mathematician who invented imaginary number space, which enabled engineers to solve more kinematic systems than before.

deleted
The only problem is, if we're not using Keirsey, I don't see why he has to be a P just because he's an artist and inventor.

I would think INTP seems likely though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only problem is, if we're not using Keirsey, I don't see why he has to be a P just because he's an artist and inventor.

I would think INTP seems likely though.

I think da Vinci was notorious for not finishing the many works he began, and in his whole lifetime completed only 12 paintings, so that would point to P, but once again I may be greatly underestimating the INTJ type, and would be very interested if an argument could be made for him being INTJ.

There are times I even wonder myself if I am INTJ rather than ITP.

Anyway thanks for your input.

deleted
There's a difference between being Ne/Se and being a creative type. When you're an experimental thinker you don't finish things. I work as a soundtrack composer and don't develop 9 out of 10 projects because there's always something more I'm aiming for and find myself needing breaks from work and thinking, to approach that something better and fresher the next time. It's a true perfectionist's issue of quality over quantity, having the right mindset. (Or, to add, in my case as an Ni primary, already getting the big picture out of it and not wanting to complete a detailed art form.) Compare with Mozart, commonly typed as P but has tons and tons of completed works; he worked every day quite productively. I don't think an understanding of P and J is as fleshed out as one would easily assume with a speculation, especially with introverts where it often has no strict bearing. We just assume creative types are P because they're expressing something new and uncertain to themselves, but it's not the exact case.

However the reason I say Da Vinci as INTP is that he seems more analytical and meticulous than I would expect of an INTJ, rooted in laws and logic more than the idea and its possible application. INTJ and INTP thought simply moves backwards from one another. One reaches out to encompass logic in a selective fashion, while the other bases all their thought and understanding on it.

For further reference/help, a few INTJ characters often mistyped who come to mind are Dr. House, Brian that dog from Family Guy, and Carl Jung himself; those are Ni primaries who exhibit stereotypical creative P behaviors. When you look at all INTJs together, it's not a big difference in mental attitude, just how they're comfortable acting.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have commonly seen him typed as both on various threads throughout the internet. Which one is he?

da Vinci quotes:
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
“Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.”
“The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.”
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”
“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
“The knowledge of all things is possible”
“All sciences are vain and full of errors that are not born of Experience, the mother of all Knowledge.”
“Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.”
“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”

why are INTP and ISTP the only options? how about INFJ or INTJ?

Heat

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
"Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” if this quote of his doesn't scream INTP I don't know what does.

Probabilist

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Leonardo da Vinci was an ENTP. The key to his personality , except the obvious Ne is the combination of Ti and Fe. Inventor Dean Kamen is also an ENTP and you will find many similarities between the two. I will elaborate more on that later.

Mr Troll

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bs
Why not ESTJ?
He is not really known for causing conceptual shit storms... like proper NT would do.

At least he did some serious real shit and it is Te.

As ENTJs are dirt poor on environmental details along side with ENTPs I say ESTJ.
He was also very focused on the human body which speaks for strong Si.
Actually some ISTJs are pretty damn good inventors when it comes to being real. Maybe he was an ISTJ.

ENTPower

Lol, I remember seeing this thread come up in Google search results when searching for Da Vinci's type back when I discovered MBTI.

I think he was an ISFJ because why the fuck not?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What says he is even a T? He loved understanding and perfecting techniques, but many of his paintings are clearly investigations into connections, people and humanity.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Lol, I remember seeing this thread come up in Google search results when searching for Da Vinci's type back when I discovered MBTI.

I think he was an ISFJ because why the fuck not?

What says he is even a T? He loved understanding and perfecting techniques, but many of his paintings are clearly investigations into connections, people and humanity.

Our Leo was also a wedding planner. I don't know about you but I know a real life ENTP who isn't very good at, and doesn't like project management.

Tater

i would say entp.

as a polymath, he took aspects from a shit ton of different fields and linked them all together.

a visionary and an architect.