View Poll Results: ISTP or INTP?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTP

3 25.00%
  • INTP

9 75.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was Leonardo da Vinci an ISTP or INTP?

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    I wouldn't have never questioned his type being other than INTP because his extravagant ideas of machinary were so outside the norm, and I always viewed him as an outcast which I view ISTPs to not be. I might be getting him mixed up with Michelangelo, but wasn't he born out of wedlock and that was like a big deal back in those days? So, he was given like a "scarlet letter" in his early years.
    Ya I don't even think he knew who his father was, but his mother was a peasant woman named caterina.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Aint he dead ?
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Aint he dead ?
    The life force of the Creator is forever sealed within his legendary paintings and his inscrutably detailed notebooks.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Do you do drugs ?

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Do you do drugs ?
    I take medicine every day... so yes lol

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

ok then, carry on !

I have no idea regarding da Vinci. I have visited an exhibition last month where they showed some of his work rebuild by hobby model makers and by all means he was an ingenieous engineer and lateral thinker. So far we used to give him intj or entp and I tended to lean more towards entp, cause intjs are systemic thinkers and only the best of them manage to think out of the box.

Da Vinci strikes me as an older version of Evariste Galois, the french mathematician who invented imaginary number space, which enabled engineers to solve more kinematic systems than before.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

http://www.wagele.com/Famous.html

the above website thinks da vinci is ISTP... interesting piece of evidence

The only problem is, if we're not using Keirsey, I don't see why he has to be a P just because he's an artist and inventor.

I would think INTP seems likely though.

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    The only problem is, if we're not using Keirsey, I don't see why he has to be a P just because he's an artist and inventor.

I would think INTP seems likely though.
    I think da Vinci was notorious for not finishing the many works he began, and in his whole lifetime completed only 12 paintings, so that would point to P, but once again I may be greatly underestimating the INTJ type, and would be very interested if an argument could be made for him being INTJ.

There are times I even wonder myself if I am INTJ rather than ITP.

Anyway thanks for your input.

There's a difference between being Ne/Se and being a creative type. When you're an experimental thinker you don't finish things. I work as a soundtrack composer and don't develop 9 out of 10 projects because there's always something more I'm aiming for and find myself needing breaks from work and thinking, to approach that something better and fresher the next time. It's a true perfectionist's issue of quality over quantity, having the right mindset. (Or, to add, in my case as an Ni primary, already getting the big picture out of it and not wanting to complete a detailed art form.) Compare with Mozart, commonly typed as P but has tons and tons of completed works; he worked every day quite productively. I don't think an understanding of P and J is as fleshed out as one would easily assume with a speculation, especially with introverts where it often has no strict bearing. We just assume creative types are P because they're expressing something new and uncertain to themselves, but it's not the exact case.

However the reason I say Da Vinci as INTP is that he seems more analytical and meticulous than I would expect of an INTJ, rooted in laws and logic more than the idea and its possible application. INTJ and INTP thought simply moves backwards from one another. One reaches out to encompass logic in a selective fashion, while the other bases all their thought and understanding on it.

For further reference/help, a few INTJ characters often mistyped who come to mind are Dr. House, Brian that dog from Family Guy, and Carl Jung himself; those are Ni primaries who exhibit stereotypical creative P behaviors. When you look at all INTJs together, it's not a big difference in mental attitude, just how they're comfortable acting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast