• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP's running out of energy?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ESTP's are high energy people.

I may or may not be an ESTP as I have trouble deciding, but I'll tell you this:

I have a ton of energy. Usually I feel awesome, I listen to epic loud music, and I drive fast (in my wrangler). Thing is, for a while now I've felt I was an introvert. I'm so high energy that I feel like I tend to run out of energy after a while. It almost feels like an energy drink crash. I'll be at my friends house surrounded by friends, and I'll be the center of attention, but after a while I just lose it and start to peter out and I won't have any energy to talk to people anymore so I'll go play video games for the rest of the night. I'll want to hang out with them, but I lose energy so fast it makes me feel introverted even though I want to still hang out with them. I still can't seem to figure out if its because I need food, or if I'm an introvert. Ideas?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, you are an introvert.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESTPs running out of energy? Balderdash.

... all kidding aside, yes, ESTPs run out of energy (every once in a while). But what you describe sounds pretty introverted. ESTPs usually absorb energy from social interaction, while it can be draining for introverts.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The human psyche is a very complex construct. Men too easily assumes that he would be in control of himself at any given time. Our inventions called "extrovert" or "introvert" are so superficially and vaguely, barely scratching the complex mechanisms which form a personality or give you your current mood.

I have been down for a year and it was just due to a change in my life situation which demanded more social activity from me that I started to feel better. I always had the impression that I felt good but now looking back I knew I never felt that good back then and basically was rotting in my basement. Then again too much social interaction can be draining as well. Especially when you have some expectations towards people, which they do not fulfill. Expectations like being a good partner for enlighting discussion and not an emergency brake who screams stop when you just go 50...

EXTPs have one thing and that is Ti. Which means that the function with which we take time to think about ourselves and about our lives and where we want to go actually is introverted. So when we do that its not uncommon that we want time alone and will shut people out. I had an intense phase of that when I went to university; sadly that ruined a lot of hot parties for me, but the things I have learnt about myself thru introspection and the intrinsic absorption of new information made me grow up.

I know that doesnt help you with your problem, I just wanted you to look beyond your own backyard and figure that life is way more complex as if introversion or extroversion could be ever pinpointed down that easily.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

I have a ton of energy. Usually I feel awesome, I listen to epic loud music, and I drive fast (in my wrangler). Thing is, for a while now I've felt I was an introvert. I'm so high energy that I feel like I tend to run out of energy after a while. It almost feels like an energy drink crash. I'll be at my friends house surrounded by friends, and I'll be the center of attention, but after a while I just lose it and start to peter out and I won't have any energy to talk to people anymore so I'll go play video games for the rest of the night. I'll want to hang out with them, but I lose energy so fast it makes me feel introverted even though I want to still hang out with them. I still can't seem to figure out if its because I need food, or if I'm an introvert. Ideas?

I notice when I'm around a group of people it's usually the opposite, I'll stay on the down low first and observe my surroundings. Then if I feel comfortable I'll engage in conversation and become social. I usually have to get a feel of what's around me before I become social with people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I notice when I'm around a group of people it's usually the opposite, I'll stay on the down low first and observe my surroundings. Then if I feel comfortable I'll engage in conversation and become social. I usually have to get a feel of what's around me before I become social with people.

I am glad you said this, cause its exactly the same for me and it made me think if I am an introvert for a while.

Disregardless of public opinion, I am having for quite some time the theory that estps aint THE epitome of the life of a party and social extroversion. Cause I think that p types can lack initiative in situations when they dislike the social dynamic or the people and if you want the title 'life of the party' I think you have to show that initiative in any given situation. I'ld rather give that title to a J-type.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ESTPs running out of energy? Balderdash.

... all kidding aside, yes, ESTPs run out of energy (every once in a while). But what you describe sounds pretty introverted. ESTPs usually absorb energy from social interaction, while it can be draining for introverts.

The reason I bring food up and question whether its people or not, is because a year ago I went on an expedition. We'd hike for 8 hours and I'd get exhausted and just trudge along like a zombie (everyone did). Then I would eat a meal and suddenly start to leap around, smile and joke again. Whether or not people were there, I'd go off prancing in the snow by myself somewhere and completely exhaust myself at the high altitude then in about 20 minutes I'd be a zombie again after expending all the energy. So I had to actually learn to control my energy. I'd tell people, "naw I'm not going to go do that, I need to save my energy for the trip." I have an extremely high metabolism and i'm constantly eating everything. Trail mix, ice cream, doritoes, sandwiches etc. If I don't eat carbs I run out of energy and get tired. My jokes get un-funny, I lose my enthusiasm and I start to dampen everyone's enthusiasm.

So at first I used to think, "oh I get tired when I'm near people" but the same exact same thing happens when I don't eat, and when I'm with friends I'm typically not eating. So this is why its difficult for me to understand my introversion or extroversion.

I start getting hyperactive when I learn new things and reach new epiphanies in myers briggs, or make "progress" in my life. When I accomplish a goal I get hyperactive and want to accomplish more goals NOW!

However I identify a lot with the socionics SLE (ESTp), which, from what I gather, tend to look a lot more cold and cutting than myers briggs ESTP's.

Jaguar

EXTPs have one thing and that is Ti. Which means that the function with which we take time to think about ourselves and about our lives and where we want to go actually is introverted. So when we do that its not uncommon that we want time alone and will shut people out. I had an intense phase of that when I went to university; sadly that ruined a lot of hot parties for me, but the things I have learnt about myself thru introspection and the intrinsic absorption of new information made me grow up.

I know that doesnt help you with your problem, I just wanted you to look beyond your own backyard and figure that life is way more complex as if introversion or extroversion could be ever pinpointed down that easily.

On another forum, an ESTP doctor was talking about himself and his ISTP brother, who is also a doctor. The ESTP said he has to literally go off and shut out the world to think about things, by himself. He's not an introvert. But his thinking is.

And even if I hadn't seen his post, I would have agreed with you about Ti.

Focusing only on Extroversion and Introversion, my test results are usually right in the middle. In our family, my extroverted mother called me introverted, and my introverted father called me extroverted. It's all relative and in the end, a matter of degree.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
On another forum, an ESTP doctor was talking about himself and his ISTP brother, who is also a doctor. The ESTP said he has to literally go off and shut out the world to think about things, by himself. He's not an introvert. But his thinking is.

And even if I hadn't seen his post, I would have agreed with you about Ti.

Focusing only on Extroversion and Introversion, my test results are usually right in the middle. In our family, my extroverted mother called me introverted, and my introverted father called me extroverted. It's all relative and in the end, a matter of degree.

^^ Glad you agree and I agree as well. If I was to ask around in my circle of friends, they'ld prolly all call me introvert. When I asked people around here, I barely was called an introvert.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Interesting. During my 5 years at a service academy there were times when my mind would get so cluttered full of things to think about that I actually started to have audible hallucinations, almost like my brain was overheating. I would actually force myself to go to the common living room when it was completely empty, and I would talk out loud to myself quietly in order to sort out my thoughts. Thing is this was never something I wanted to do, but it was important for my health and well being. I can't think to myself unless everyone is gone. or unless there is some loud white noise blocking everything out.

Well, before MBTI came along I always dubbed myself as an "Ambivert." But it would be nice if I fit into a category, because I'd at least know how to meet people who were just like me, which is pretty rare. The only friends I have who "stick around" are a plethora of INFJ's, one ISTJ and one ISTP. The rest are all acquaintences, and I have many, many acquaintances.

If I wanted to I could stay indoors by myself for about a week and talk to no one, but I usually get really bored of that and have to at least skype or call someone on the phone eventually.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am ISTP and I never run out of energy. I just get bored.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. During my 5 years at a service academy there were times when my mind would get so cluttered full of things to think about that I actually started to have audible hallucinations, almost like my brain was overheating. I would actually force myself to go to the common living room when it was completely empty, and I would talk out loud to myself quietly in order to sort out my thoughts. Thing is this was never something I wanted to do, but it was important for my health and well being. I can't think to myself unless everyone is gone. or unless there is some loud white noise blocking everything out.

Well, before MBTI came along I always dubbed myself as an "Ambivert." But it would be nice if I fit into a category, because I'd at least know how to meet people who were just like me, which is pretty rare. The only friends I have who "stick around" are a plethora of INFJ's, one ISTJ and one ISTP. The rest are all acquaintences, and I have many, many acquaintances.

If I wanted to I could stay indoors by myself for about a week and talk to no one, but I usually get really bored of that and have to at least skype or call someone on the phone eventually.

Hmm, I don't know. Maybe you are extroverted.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an antisocial extrovert in most cases... I feel comfortable talking to anyone but if left to my own devices I tend to choose to be alone... similar to what jaguar said, my coworkers think that I'm rather antisocial and my parents (both serious introverts) think that I'm a social butterfly :laugh:

I can't really think unless I'm bouncing ideas off of others though... thinking by myself isn't as productive... not that I necessarily LISTEN to the other people that I'm using for idea bouncing, but it's just the act of getting things out there so that I can see the entire picture and how everything relates that makes it make sense... if I try it by myself I have to speak outloud and usually write things down, which can be rather awkward if in public :ninja:

extroversion and introversion are weird things :thinking:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OP, you sound a lot like me. I love hanging around people and interacting with them...but only for a while. After a while I start to get seriously drained and need to withdrawal and go do my own thing. If I'm not allowed to do that, then I start to get agitated and annoyed, and that's not pretty :(

As far ESTPs, my ESTP roommate works two jobs and has a boyfriend she likes to spend time with. When she's not with him or at work, she's the epitome of sloth. She very much appreciates the fact that I keep cleaning up after her (even if that appreciation isn't reciprocated).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

based on this and some of your other posts, I think you are extremely ISTP :yes:

Sloth

MBTI Type
INTP
It's all relative and in the end, a matter of degree.

I agree.

To the XSTP in question, have you considered that it may just be a phase? I have an ESTP friend that is always bouncing off the walls, but even she eventually burns out. I'm very much I and she is very much E, and the main difference between when we burn out on people is how quickly it happens. 99% I will tire faster than she, but depending on the situation it might be easier for me to keep energized. Some of that also has to do with the differences between our NT and SP more so than our I and E differences, but that's another post.

It's a spectrum, but if you're really curious about it. Ask some of the people you know to take the MBTI (if you haven't already, and also try to find one that gives percentages) and see which ones come up as extroverts and introverts. That should give you a good idea where you stand.

For instance, I heard once that one way to tell an N from an S is by eye movement. N's tend to move their eyes around more. It isn't always easy to peg my ESTP friend as an S by that standard until you sit her next to her very good INTJ friend and then it becomes very clear.

S

Society

right on the mark..

and it also goes the other way around: when i'm social my Ne/Fe blossom, when i'l in soltitude my Ti/Si have their moments, although i am happier and more energized when i am in good company.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
based on this and some of your other posts, I think you are extremely ISTP :yes:

I was an ISTP for the last few years, until recently I took socionics and came out as SLE-Se and Enneagram 8w9 which I agree with both. So now I'm starting to second guess my type, because MBTI just seems so shallow compared to Socionics. Its hard to ignore a system that tells you exactly what clothes you wear, and also tells you you're a gymnast (I am).

MBTI is really shallow (you look like an introverted, that makes you an I, you look like a sensor, that makes you an S... etc.) So I have a feeling I could very well appear to be a myers briggs ISTP but deep down the gears turning inside of me are ESTp. I dunno its confusing. I'm reminded of the quote, "the more you know, the more you realize you know nothing."