• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Do people still drive motorcycles?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This would be a good question to ask this forum,

You always see motorcycles as a stereotype of the STP people.

Or maybe just ISTP, but i think it's lame to ask a question to only one portion of an audience. so we'll throw ESTPs into the bag.

The only people I've ever seen riding motorcycles were a lot of old ZZ-top redneck men with women grabbing onto their backs-- all have white beards. The velocity of the air moving by them creates an energy in their body that gradually turns their bear the color of Santa claus' hair. & the women always have unusual-shaped bodies.

You can't call them fat, you can't call them skinny, but it's like they're a mixture of different bodily characteristics.

Does anyone here drive a motorcycle?

my question is, does anyone drive a motorcycle? Any one in the world?

Last edited by a moderator:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I would, if I had the balls. But the engineering related stuff is awesome :D

26223.jpg

KDude

Not really. I might mess around on friends' dirtbikes, but not streetbikes. It's kind of cool, but not something I thought I had to do. Streetbikes tbh kind of freak me out. Two of my friends wiped bad. One is dead. Ideally, that's not the kind of death for me. I want to leave a pretty corpse. I don't know why that matters to me.. I mean, even though I'd be dead, it still seems kind of embarassing.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In California, guys (younger ones) do this when a car is impractical for them. For instance, I knew a guy who lived in an apartment with roommates and there was very limited parking there. He had an awesome looking sportsbike. I noticed it and complimented him on it and he was beaming and super proud. lol They're only a fraction as common as cars though. Of course there are the old guys who ride Harley's like you described in the OP. There are tons of them riding in groups but only on weekends because I think it 's more of a leisurely thing for them.

KDude

I think if I lived in Europe or maybe Asia, I'd get a lot more use out of a bike. The roads just seem made for it (not necessarily the autobahn.. but also the just the way the cities are built). I live in Texas... it's just highways all over the place. Nothing has that bike (or even pedestrian) friendly feel that Europe or Asia has. Besides that, people drive like crap.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah in the USA it's mostly a leisurely thing, a small percentage of folks ride as much as possible during the nicer weather out of choice (I'm one of them), and an even smaller percentage ride out of necessity (can't afford a car, no good parking for one, etc).

Scooters, i.e. small automatic-transmission motorcycles are a whole 'nother category, I actually ride a very large scooter (Yamaha Majesty 400cc) and those larger scooters are mostly an old-person thing (I'm 30, so, not quite there yet, but found the technology and utilitarian design very appropriate for my commuting needs) but the smaller 50cc scooters are usually nicknamed "DUI mobiles" ..... I usually find those closer to town, it's probably economical for people who live in town but don't want to buy a big car they'll never use all that often.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can I get a STP club card?

Sure the hell do! <3

To be clear, I ride a bike, I don't drive it.

<-- does not look like a member of ZZ top.
<-- does not have random shaped women riding on the back.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When/if I move to a bigger city, I want a scooter!

KDude

My highschool English teacher apparently jammed with ZZ Top a lot. He even looked like one of them. Kind of like the 5th Beatle. Except, not the Beatles. But ZZ Top. He drove a car though. I know this because he'd strangely go sit in his car during lunch sometimes. I accused him of smoking weed.

BTW, I think ZZ Top rode bikes, but they didn't have the chicks on the back. They had the sidecar.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would if I didnt have a kid. I have to much responsibility to die stupidly.

edit: My younger years I enjoyed the freedom of a truck, and the tinkering with a turbo charged car. It could only do 135MPH and there was a point where anytime I hit the highway I was doing 100+. Didnt normally race anyone, just drove fast. This is how I handle my jet ski. Full throttle at ALL times. So no motorcycles for me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a beat up old bike that I would ride for a while when I was in school... it was a lot of fun just to feel the wind in my hair :cheese:

however, I'm not a dude, nor am I oddly shaped (I'm pretty average) :thumbdown:

I had it just as a fun option to my car... it met its unfortunate demise after my neighbor got drunk and backed over it with his truck :sadbanana:

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always thought if I got rid of my Yamaha I'd probably look into getting a dual-sport ... the kawasaki KLR650 seems like a nice one for hitting the gravel roads/state forest roads around the nearby mountains

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my chemistry teacher in highschool rode a bike and he looks nothing like zz top and didn't have a woman wrapped around him, he actually looked like the sterotypical nerd

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would love to, but I very much doubt I'd ever buy one, because A) they are very dangerous, and the danger is not completely averted even by being a superb driver, which I am not and B) living somewhere with only ~4-6 months of acceptable weather makes it very impractical/very expensive/not a possible car replacement. The second reason is more important to me than the first.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In California, guys (younger ones) do this when a car is impractical for them. For instance, I knew a guy who lived in an apartment with roommates and there was very limited parking there. He had an awesome looking sportsbike. I noticed it and complimented him on it and he was beaming and super proud. lol They're only a fraction as common as cars though. Of course there are the old guys who ride Harley's like you described in the OP. There are tons of them riding in groups but only on weekends because I think it 's more of a leisurely thing for them.

Yep. Practical uses like beating traffic :laugh:. I mean, i went to S.F. for the day when they were doing something with the bridge.... was stuck in traffic for a while.

[MENTION=13370]FunnyDigestion[/MENTION] street bikes are A LOT more common then you think. It is just the ratio between cars and motorcycles seem so big. I do see Harleys and the like, but most of the people that ride them are the older generations... I think.

Will I ever ride one? Who knows. It usually does rain here half the year. Just because I am quite capable doesn't mean others are.

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My ISTJ daughter married an INTP who owns a motorcycle.
He rides with some friends and they also "race" in closed-course competitions.

My ISTP son was into race cars and Drifting for a long time, but a few months ago he sold his race car and bought a motorcycle.
He LOVES it and was sorry he hadn't got one sooner!

ZtX

MBTI Type
ISTP
I ride. And I don't agree with people claiming they'd die if they rode. Just because you straddle a machine with a high power-to-weight ratio doesn't mean you immediately lose all ability for risk assessment. If you're stupid or if you lack respect for the dangers involved, you'll place yourself in bad situations, and if you place yourself in a bad enough situation without sufficient protection, you'll probably hurt yourself. So wear your gear and don't be stupid. But don't avoid riding.

EDIT:
Most bikers will tell you that learning how to ride has made them better/safer drivers too. You start thinking a couple of additional steps ahead, and you get a better grasp of the physics involved in staying on the road.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think I may get a motorcycle someday.

I'd save a lot of money on fuel.