User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    To be clear, I ride a bike, I don't drive it.
    lol...I was going to clarify this point also. I ride dirt on occasion. Saving for a street bike now.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

I would if I didnt have a kid. I have to much responsibility to die stupidly.

edit: My younger years I enjoyed the freedom of a truck, and the tinkering with a turbo charged car. It could only do 135MPH and there was a point where anytime I hit the highway I was doing 100+. Didnt normally race anyone, just drove fast. This is how I handle my jet ski. Full throttle at ALL times. So no motorcycles for me.
    Im out, its been fun

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I had a beat up old bike that I would ride for a while when I was in school... it was a lot of fun just to feel the wind in my hair

however, I'm not a dude, nor am I oddly shaped (I'm pretty average)

I had it just as a fun option to my car... it met its unfortunate demise after my neighbor got drunk and backed over it with his truck
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I always thought if I got rid of my Yamaha I'd probably look into getting a dual-sport ... the kawasaki KLR650 seems like a nice one for hitting the gravel roads/state forest roads around the nearby mountains
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    yupp

my chemistry teacher in highschool rode a bike and he looks nothing like zz top and didn't have a woman wrapped around him, he actually looked like the sterotypical nerd
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would love to, but I very much doubt I'd ever buy one, because A) they are very dangerous, and the danger is not completely averted even by being a superb driver, which I am not and B) living somewhere with only ~4-6 months of acceptable weather makes it very impractical/very expensive/not a possible car replacement. The second reason is more important to me than the first.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    In California, guys (younger ones) do this when a car is impractical for them. For instance, I knew a guy who lived in an apartment with roommates and there was very limited parking there. He had an awesome looking sportsbike. I noticed it and complimented him on it and he was beaming and super proud. lol They're only a fraction as common as cars though. Of course there are the old guys who ride Harley's like you described in the OP. There are tons of them riding in groups but only on weekends because I think it 's more of a leisurely thing for them.
    Yep. Practical uses like beating traffic . I mean, i went to S.F. for the day when they were doing something with the bridge.... was stuck in traffic for a while.

@FunnyDigestion street bikes are A LOT more common then you think. It is just the ratio between cars and motorcycles seem so big. I do see Harleys and the like, but most of the people that ride them are the older generations... I think.

Will I ever ride one? Who knows. It usually does rain here half the year. Just because I am quite capable doesn't mean others are.
    Last edited by Rail Tracer; 01-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ

My ISTJ daughter married an INTP who owns a motorcycle.
    He rides with some friends and they also "race" in closed-course competitions.

My ISTP son was into race cars and Drifting for a long time, but a few months ago he sold his race car and bought a motorcycle.
    He LOVES it and was sorry he hadn't got one sooner!

MBTI
    ISTP

I ride. And I don't agree with people claiming they'd die if they rode. Just because you straddle a machine with a high power-to-weight ratio doesn't mean you immediately lose all ability for risk assessment. If you're stupid or if you lack respect for the dangers involved, you'll place yourself in bad situations, and if you place yourself in a bad enough situation without sufficient protection, you'll probably hurt yourself. So wear your gear and don't be stupid. But don't avoid riding.

EDIT:
    Most bikers will tell you that learning how to ride has made them better/safer drivers too. You start thinking a couple of additional steps ahead, and you get a better grasp of the physics involved in staying on the road.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think I may get a motorcycle someday.

I'd save a lot of money on fuel.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."