User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 24

  1. #1
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default Physical Feats, Consciousness, and Technique

    Before I start, I apologize for the thread title. It sounds stupid. Or pretentious. Or both.

    I was just wondering when any of you pull off something physically smooth, would you chalk it up to practice or technique? It could be a perfect dive, manuevering out of a dangerous hydroplane spin, landing a new bike trick, hitting someone with a solid WWF style drop kick. Whatever I'm just curious if you assume a lot of control in all of this, or does it kind of seem like luck? I've pulled off some cool things, but I kind of wonder if I'm actually any good.. they just seem like they happen. Like instinct almost. It's like when someone is about to drop a plate and you slide in and catch it. Are you really that cool, or did your hands kind of think for you? Personally, I think I've just been lucky. My mind goes blank in the process of some of this stuff. Maybe people are right. I'm not SP. Maybe I'm some kind of fraud with a little luck on my side.

  2. #2
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Before I start, I apologize for the thread title. It sounds stupid. Or pretentious. Or both.

    I was just wondering when any of you pull off something physically smooth, would you chalk it up to practice or technique? It could be a perfect dive, manuevering out of a dangerous hydroplane spin, landing a new bike trick, hitting someone with a solid WWF style drop kick. Whatever I'm just curious if you assume a lot of control in all of this, or does it kind of seem like luck? I've pulled off some cool things, but I kind of wonder if I'm actually any good.. they just seem like they happen. Like instinct almost. It's like when someone is about to drop a plate and you slide in and catch it. Are you really that cool, or did your hands kind of think for you? Personally, I think I've just been lucky. My mind goes blank in the process of some of this stuff. Maybe people are right. I'm not SP. Maybe I'm some kind of fraud with a little luck on my side.
    I always sprain my left wrist or left ankle when I try to do stuff like that. Then I whine about it like a little girl for weeks.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I always sprain my left wrist or left ankle when I try to do stuff like that. Then I whine about it like a little girl for weeks.
    OK, why is it the left?

    Are you left handed? I'm left handed, but I've broken my right ankle a couple of times.

  4. #4
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    I consider it to be a freak occurrence since I'm rather notably klutzy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #5
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    OK, why is it the left?

    Are you left handed? I'm left handed, but I've broken my right ankle a couple of times.
    I'm left handed, yes, so I throw my left hand behind me if I fall. I don't know why my left ankle keeps going out on me, kind of a cycle, I think one of the tendons is loose.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #6
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I consider it to be a freak occurrence since I'm rather notably klutzy
    Yeah, freak occurance. Kind of what I mean. Enough to where I can comment sort of detached from it. "Holy shit, did you see that?!" I bet someone could misconstrue that as bragging - but actually, I'm not even talking about myself. It's some other guy.

  7. #7
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    When it comes to action in a clearly dangerous situation, the adrenaline rush creates a clarity of mind that's surreal. Everything is crystal, crystal clear and yes, it does feel like time slows so you have the time to do the right thing where thoughts are ripping through your mind but you're ice cold calm. Even thoughts like "I'm going to die" don't create any emotional resonance.

    As far as luck or skill, no idea. The thought becomes action, how, who knows?

  8. #8
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    The thought becomes action, how, who knows?
    Lenore Thomson talks a lot about Se-Ti being a lot of "body based logic"... that it's not exactly abstracted logic, but turned on with physical interaction with objects.

    So, that's a type related "theory" to all of this, I guess.

  9. #9
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    When it comes to action in a clearly dangerous situation, the adrenaline rush creates a clarity of mind that's surreal. Everything is crystal, crystal clear and yes, it does feel like time slows so you have the time to do the right thing where thoughts are ripping through your mind but you're ice cold calm. Even thoughts like "I'm going to die" don't create any emotional resonance.

    As far as luck or skill, no idea. The thought becomes action, how, who knows?
    THIS. +1!!

    In general, I have very fast reflexes.
    If I drop anything, or if anyone near me drops something, I catch it a majority of the time, and not with alot of effort.
    It's almost like a game at this point.
    Last night I was making myself a drink and a piece of ice fell out of the ice tray and started falling toward the floor.
    I cannot bend forward at the waist since I just had a spinal fusion surgery on October 12th.
    So, using my age old soccer skills, I tapped the ice cube upward off the tow of my sneaker and caught it with my hand as it was in the air above my waist.
    I didn't even flinch.
    I tossed the ice cub in the sink and looked at my wife.
    She smiled, shook her head and said "Dear God, you didn't even think about that!" and walked away chuckling.

    As Jenaphor said, alot of this is adrenaline driven.
    I happen to be a person of massive adrenaline output.
    Part of this phenomena is simply "motivation." Do you care if what you drop hits the floor? If you don't then it will fall. If you do, you will try to catch it.
    Another part of such phenomena is indeed skill, because anything that you put concentrated, repeated effort into becomes less a facet of luck, and more a facet of skill over time, IMHO.
    Can you get lucky even if you are skilled? YES.
    Can people who are not skilled get lucky? YES.
    But, on any given day, I'd rather be a person who is well trained and well prepared to deal with what comes my way, rather than someone who expects Lady Luck to be the keeper of their well being.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    What I have read is you focus on what you have to do ("Drive between the jackknifed truck and guardrail") and do not think about the failure ("Don't hit the truck!").

Similar Threads

  1. Consciousness and sensory perception
    By Infinite Bubble in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 03:42 AM
  2. Backpacking Gear and Techniques
    By JAVO in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM
  3. Physics, chemistry, biology and wisdom of life
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
  4. academic politics and curriculum decisions: physics
    By Gabe in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO