User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default ISTP/INFP Relationship

In socionics, the relations between an ISTP and an INFP is of a Super-Ego relations. And it seemed that ISTP and INFP find each other an enigma (through typelogic's relationship pairs). I find it amusing, because the ISTP/INFP friendship I share, fits the descriptions, almost. I find him amusing and interesting, although he seemed distant. But it seemed that he looks out for me, subtlety, not the in your face kind, and vice versa. I respect and admire him as a person, too. Our friends thinks we don't talk to each other at all. Well, we don't really, but through our ENFP best friend, somehow we always managed to conference call together, and also we can effectively work together to piss our ENFP friend. And somehow when I have secrets or private thoughts I seldom tell to others, yet I don't mind letting him know these things. It feels like I can trust him. But then I tell him through our ENFP-ISTP-INFP conference.

So I was just wondering what's your impression of each other and vice versa? And do you mind sharing details about your relationship (friend or love)?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I can be friendly with them, they're mostly very nice people, but I've never had a non-superficial relationship with one. The ones I've known in RL have been too out of touch with reality for me to really respect them (they've all made the most irrational choices in life). Of course no disrespect intended to anyone here, as most of the INFPs here seem quite sane.

ps my mom is one too, so I have in-depth experience with at least one.

heart on fire

I have an ISTP relative. He has a good heart. I can take him a lot better than many of the in-laws, BUT I don't understand him and how he makes decisions at all. He has really done some illogical, even self destructive things for the unfathomable reasons. The ISTJ relative is easier to understand their motivations for their actions but they are more prickly and sharp than the ISTP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

i like ISTPs. they're their own person, like their space, are curious and eager to learn about things that interest them and hope to figure things out or fix them. if they're healthy individuals they usually keep busy and are very "hands on" and "in the moment" and can be quite literal. they definitely do have a good heart regardless if they appear like they're assholes. in reality they're harmless and good individuals.

MBTI
    INFP

I had a friendship with an ISTP girl once. It sounded similiar tothis, we would get aong well in the company of others and it was somewhat cordial when we were alone. It basically ended when I was having a tough time one week and she was patronizing as hell to me (other friends agreed). So stopped talking to her (still got birhdaycards from her though). Id say just go with your gut, it tells you a lot.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by lookoutbelow84093 View Post
    I had a friendship with an ISTP girl once. It sounded similiar tothis, we would get aong well in the company of others and it was somewhat cordial when we were alone. It basically ended when I was having a tough time one week and she was patronizing as hell to me (other friends agreed). So stopped talking to her (still got birhdaycards from her though). Id say just go with your gut, it tells you a lot.
    The ISTP I know does this to people too, calls it "tough love" yet when the chips are down for them it is a very different story. It seems to be a blind spot for them, this person cannot see the hypocrisy. There's no seeing the larger picture either and when conversation heads there, they just tune out with a smug look on their face. If I get abstract, this person just cracks a lot of low level jokes which I try to just tolerate with good humor. Other than that though they are easier to talk to than many of my other in-laws.

My INFJ husband has a harder time letting certain things roll off his back with this person and usually will face the ISTP down about being smug or stubborn. I don't see the point, isn't anything going to get through the filter, so I just appreciate the things I can share with the ISTP and try to avoid them when they are feeling down because it is hard for me not to point out their hypocrisy in seeking sympathy when they don't give it out themselves to other people in similar situations. Better to just avoid them at those times than start a pointless controversy that won't help anything. Of course doing so has limited my contact with this person because they pretty much only seem to have a use for me as sympathetic ear!

MBTI
    INFP

I posted what follows on a different thread, but I think it belongs here instead:

>>Another INFP in praise of ISTPs here. Their friendship is a lot like our love: hard to earn, lasts and lasts, unconditional. When it works both ways, this can be a very "tight" (as in lasting, not constricting) bond. And when we're all the patient, IxxP listeners we typically are, the communication isn't half-bad either. This combo can really enjoy life together & have a lot of fun. I know one INFP/ISTP couple who've been married for years and are among the most humorous, sensual, happy people I've seen.

MBTI
    ENFP

A pattern i noticed with INFPs is that they want to make themselves into a damsel in distress. Very sexual beings who want to be taken advantage of. I like how some of them look sad just to attract attention, it makes me want to victimize them and do sexual things with them.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post
    I like how some of them look sad just to attract attention, it makes me want to victimize them and do sexual things with them.
    Dude, you're a predator!
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post
    A pattern i noticed with INFPs is that they want to make themselves into a damsel in distress. Very sexual beings who want to be taken advantage of. I like how some of them look sad just to attract attention, it makes me want to victimize them and do sexual things with them.

lol dude, where do i sign up?