User Tag List

123 Last

Default ISTP- Taking Things Apart

Do you do this? I've read this elsewhere, but I'll go for a quick link: ISTP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are notorious for taking apart a device to see how it works before considering whether they can put it back together
    I think I might be better at this than anything to do with craftmanship. I lost my first Nintendo this way. I have guitar and audio gear laying around that never gets any work done. Some I promised to fix for friends. It's also how I learned a lot about computers. I was fascinated with the first family computer, and every few weeks I'd do something to it late at night to tweak/explore some new configuration or OS for it.. and sometimes bring it to a broken state. What got me good though is trying to get it running again before my Dad woke up. Rinse, repeat.

Do you have any failed projects sitting around?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Nope.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

No. I don't take stuff apart. But then I don't think I am a mechanical ISTP. I'm not sure of the specific sub-divisions of ISTPs but I'm thinking some are more mechanically minded and some are more mastering of a craft minded. Well, from the ones I know, that is what i see.

Riva

ISTPs have the most unfortunate descriptions of MBTI types.
    They are described as mechanics, bikers and even carpenters most of the times.
    Quite unfortunate.
    I am yet to see an ISTP description which puts them in favourable/admirable light.

ISTPs are the best at what they do.
    I believe this is the best way to describe them.

But they suck at communication (especially their feelings), has lower energy and have short fuses.
    Soooooo..... if they are as I said the-best-at-what-they-do they could probably turn these traits around.

But those are very very rare sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    ISTPs are the best at what they do.
    I believe this is the best way to describe them.
    And people say I have a romanticized view of types.

I'm constantly learning. I wouldn't get good at anything unless I was critical about my own work, made mistakes, and picked up the pieces for another shot. Definitely would not consider myself the best. Besides, the whole idea of Se is adapting as things unfold. This assumes some level of ignorance, commiting to performance itself (rather than preparation), and not being the best by default.

"I'm the best at what I do" sounds like a line from a movie. I know I've heard it somewhere. I can't pinpoint it. In any case, I'm not a cartoon character myself.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Do you do this? I've read this elsewhere, but I'll go for a quick link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISTP_(p...nsing_.28Se.29

I think I might be better at this than anything to do with craftmanship. I lost my first Nintendo this way. I have guitar and audio gear laying around that never gets any work done. Some I promised to fix for friends. It's also how I learned a lot about computers. I was fascinated with the first family computer, and every few weeks I'd do something to it late at night to tweak/explore some new configuration or OS for it.. and sometimes bring it to a broken state. What got me good though is trying to get it running again before my Dad woke up. Rinse, repeat.

I have a few have finished projects around. The wheel in this mouse is gone because I took it out to fix it and never got around to it. I learnt about computers like you, breaking and fixing them.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Question for the ISTPs who take things apart - assuming money was not an issue, would you ever hire someone else to fix something for you that you knew how to fix yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Question for the ISTPs who take things apart - assuming money was not an issue, would you ever hire someone else to fix something for you that you knew how to fix yourself?
    I'd do that if I could earn more doing something else, was feeling lazy, or thought I could learn something...

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Jobs I find useless/pointless, but somehow.. have to be done. Like mowing the lawn. I can't work it out in my own head why that even needs to be done. Seems more like a ritual than a necessity, but whatever. Not cutting the grass pisses too many nosy people off.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Do you do this? I've read this elsewhere, but I'll go for a quick link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISTP_(p...nsing_.28Se.29

My ISTP sure does! He plays in a band once a week and is constantly buying or trading up guitars, basses, amps, etc. but I think he buys these things just to have lots of junk laying around to take apart. Every single time he buys something (even new!) he instantly finds something "off about it" to create this need to take it apart. Many times these things sit for months. He has also taken apart both of our mountain bikes (didnt get to ride much this summer) two computers and you should just see the home restoration projects we've got lying around unfinished. He wanted to re-do our flooring because underneath the cheap carpet was some very old, nice hard wood. 4 months. I eventually paid a crew to come out and finish it. (He wasnt happy). So yes, I totally see this.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts