• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP- Taking Things Apart

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
no i feel bad. I'll go mock some nfs again they at least dont fight back :D

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Purposely ? No. But when your mind is faster than your hands at times you forget things like plugged in connectors :D. Last time I nearly shortwired and electrical cars battery. Had about 10 Amperes that would have been the end :/

Bamboo is correct. Current kills. You can have volts without current (amps) but you can't have current without volts. You never know what that lethal level is for people. You were lucky ;)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ah come on ! you have to let me win from times as well or this aint fun xD

I could beat you with my pet electric eel. do you like to swim?

Last edited:

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If that were coming from a man, I'd take it to be a very crude sexual statement.

That's [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION]. It is one crude sexual statement after another with her.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha I am. It was late and I was tired and I forgot to put "electric" in front of the word eel. My jokes get even cornier when I'm tired.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
i posted this in my blog too but this is great.

i know next to rubbish about electronics but this video was amazing.

[YOUTUBE="l2vvsexdguQ"]Analyzing and messing with a headlamp[/YOUTUBE]

i've always really enjoyed electronics design, micro-architecture. i found that out taking apart my old laptops to change the fluorescent screen tubes and taking apart my cell phones to replace cables. if you find the right supplier you can buy a part for $1 with $5 shipping straight from Hong Kong and fix things.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I used to be very into overclocking my CPU which I achieved with some success, now I'm into over clocking my monitors refresh rate.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm not an istp but I seem to have an urge to take things apart to see what makes them work. I've dismantled all sorts of stuff but am not always able to put them back together again.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love to reverse engineer stuff. Its like second nature to me. Thasts actually hw i look at problems, to start by reverse engineering it. then follow it by forward engineering ;)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I played with trains and legos as an ISTP child. Never got more mechanically inclined than that.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was fascinated with the first family computer, and every few weeks I'd do something to it late at night to tweak/explore some new configuration or OS for it.. and sometimes bring it to a broken state. What got me good though is trying to get it running again before my Dad woke up. Rinse, repeat.

Do you have any failed projects sitting around?

:yes: Thats how I learned. I would crash it accidently while parents were at work and had to gte it running before they came home.

I used to take everything apart as a kid. My toys with motors would end up in the trash and I would keep the motors. I loved transformers...the kind that you plug into walls, not the toys...well I liked the toys, but thats not what I meant. Anything electronic caught my eye and I wanted to be an electrical engineer since I was really young. Then I worked with engineers and changed my mind.

i posted this in my blog too but this is great.

i know next to rubbish about electronics but this video was amazing.

[YOUTUBE="l2vvsexdguQ"]Analyzing and messing with a headlamp[/YOUTUBE]

i've always really enjoyed electronics design, micro-architecture. i found that out taking apart my old laptops to change the fluorescent screen tubes and taking apart my cell phones to replace cables. if you find the right supplier you can buy a part for $1 with $5 shipping straight from Hong Kong and fix things.

That reminds me of my electronics class in college. The analog portion was so much math...while I like math, I dont like it enough to do THAT MUCH calculations. I much prefer digital because its less math and more logic.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Question for the ISTPs who take things apart - assuming money was not an issue, would you ever hire someone else to fix something for you that you knew how to fix yourself?

Yes, unfortunately I've found it to be necessary for some things that require special tools. If I had an unlimited, bottomless toolbox, I'd never call anyone. :) Well, I might make an exception for crawling around in the space under the house, which I find rather unpleasant, or if I am short on time. Or if it's a BIG project that I can't do alone. I also "let" my wife handle any copper pipe work, as she is quite good at it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, unfortunately I've found it to be necessary for some things that require special tools. If I had an unlimited, bottomless toolbox, I'd never call anyone. :)

Seriously. That's really what it comes down too. Spend a fortune getting specific jobs done that you end up being able to do all sorts of jobs. :)