• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP- Taking Things Apart

KDude

To answer [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION], I guess I am kind of DIY, but I'm not skilled at a bunch of things where I actually am doing everything myself. For example, I know more about computers than cars. I think I could learn more about cars to get to that point, but I only know basic things, just because it's a ripoff if you don't. Same thing with guitars (or other instruments). It costs an arm and a leg to just to get basic work done. I only paid for an amp repair once, and I think it was over a hundred bucks or something. So I bought guitar/amp maintenance manuals (it sounds like i'm just being practical, but it also became kind of fun too).

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Question for the ISTPs who take things apart - assuming money was not an issue, would you ever hire someone else to fix something for you that you knew how to fix yourself?

It depends. If I could take my time getting to the job, then no. I'd probably fix it myself. If I needed it right away and I didn't feel like doing it and I'm rich? Yeah. Let someone else do it.

I really never liked taking something apart for the sake of taking something apart. If I had an idea/clue of why it wasn't working and I thought I could fix it? Yeah. I'd go in for a look to see if I was right or wrong.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
It depends. If I could take my time getting to the job, then no. I'd probably fix it myself. If I needed it right away and I didn't feel like doing it and I'm rich? Yeah. Let someone else do it.

I really never liked taking something apart for the sake of taking something apart. If I had an idea/clue of why it wasn't working and I thought I could fix it? Yeah. I'd go in for a look to see if I was right or wrong.

For me as well in that I enjoy getting some kind of end result if I take something apart. I would rather put something together than take something apart for the sake of it.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me as well in that I enjoy getting some kind of end result if I take something apart. I would rather put something together than take something apart for the sake of it.

Yeah. I like the gratification behind diagnosing the problem then getting in there and realizing I was right or getting in there and realizing it was something else. The 'something else' teaches me more. I guess I learn more that way than just wildly dissecting things because I see an effect and learn a different cause than the one I thought. Sticks in my brain.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yeah. I like the gratification behind diagnosing the problem then getting in there and realizing I was right or getting in there and realizing it was something else. The 'something else' teaches me more. I guess I learn more that way than just wildly dissecting things because I see an effect and learn a different cause than the one I thought. Sticks in my brain.

On the fly problem solving.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

[MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION]
Yeah the same. I agree with MDP I wouldn't take it apart just for the hell of it, but if it was broken and I had an idea how to fix it then I would definitely go for it. If I didn't have time or didn't feel like i had sufficient knowledge then I would just pay someone to do it.
The bed broke fairly massively the other day. (Strangely enough we weren't actually doing anything, just lying there when it happened!) It wasn't my bed but because we actually needed to sleep in the bed, it had to be fixed so I just got to it, pulled the mattress up and started pulling the slats up and then replacing them and got a hammer and some nails and soon had it in working order. I have made beds before so it all seemed very easy to me how to fix it.
The INTJ i was with took one look at it and declared we had to sleep on the floor and then later said she was fascinated with how i just knew how to fix it and got it done. So yeah i guess maybe fixing things comes naturally but it helps if it is something I have some knowledge about!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I fixed a toilet before! Boy, was I proud of myself afterwards. :D The bulb inside of the tank (or whatever you call those things) broke and I took it apart and replaced it. It took me about 5 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store (lol!), whereas it probably would have taken someone more mechanically inclined less than 1 hour.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I fixed a toilet before! Boy, was I proud of myself afterwards. :D The bulb inside of the tank (or whatever you call those things) broke and I took it apart and replaced it. It took me about 5 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store (lol!), whereas it probably would have taken someone more mechanically inclined less than 1 hour.

Good for you. It would probably take me awhile too, because I've never fixed a toilet before (luckily, never needed to - knock on wood).

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Very impressive Ms Giggly :newwink:

jixmixfix

Permabanned

yeah i hate when that happens, happened to me a few times.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There isnt much left on the World I havent taken apart. Still working together with the underworld to get me a corpse and take that apart !

Bad jokes aside, my istp dad doesnt lay hands on shit he doesnt know about. I think he's a coward :D

but to set things straight, he at least hadnt touched alternating current lines for 3 times already. I am convinced when I survive the forth one, I'll carry on a more significant brain damage that time :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People have suggested that I'm an ISTP because fiddling with things is a hobby of mine. I don't take things apart that are working, usually, but I get gleeful when things break that I really wanted to get into. Sometimes I manage to fix them, too. If not, I play with their guts.

KDude

There isnt much left on the World I havent taken apart. Still working together with the underworld to get me a corpse and take that apart !

Bad jokes aside, my istp dad doesnt lay hands on shit he doesnt know about. I think he's a coward :D

but to set things straight, he at least hadnt touched alternating current lines for 3 times already. I am convinced when I survive the forth one, I'll carry on a more significant brain damage that time :D

You purposely touch current lines? Why? :thinking:

I shouldn't talk though. I've purposely shocked myself with a stun gun once.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You purposely touch current lines? Why? :thinking:

I shouldn't talk though. I've purposely shocked myself with a stun gun once.

Purposely ? No. But when your mind is faster than your hands at times you forget things like plugged in connectors :D. Last time I nearly shortwired and electrical cars battery. Had about 10 Amperes that would have been the end :/

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP

heh that's like a 20 minute job when you've seen it before but props for taking it on.

Purposely ? No. But when your mind is faster than your hands at times you forget things like plugged in connectors :D. Last time I nearly shortwired and electrical cars battery. Had about 10 Amperes that would have been the end :/

The voltage hurts but it's the current that kills you.

Also household 110 isn't that bad. Remember kids: when you pull the outlet out of the wall don't handle the sides.

---

also, i just bought some nice jeans from the thrift store and i've realized they have a button fly which was probably pretty cool before they invented the zipper. if i was better with a sewing machine i'd take the fly off my "patch jeans" (the pair I keep around to make patches out of) and sew it in there but i'm not skilled enough. maybe if i destroy this pair then i'll try it out.

i should have been a seamstress.

of course by then i'll have figured out how to use these easily enough.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
in germany household is 230 V.... son i am disappoint xD