User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I tested as 9w8. sx/sp So there's a whole new perspective on the matter.

I'm not sure any of the enneagram types fit me really well. Whereas with MBTI I relate to pretty much all descriptions of ISTP really well.

As far as enneagram goes, I don't know, I see a lot of nine, some eight, some seven, some five, some three. Who knows.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    the way I see it INTPs are more vicarious and less involved they can see the bigger picture and get into certain details and ideas without getting into the activity. ISTPs need to be inside the activity to see the details they are much more involved. So when I'm involved I see all the details. It's the argument of what actually is as oppose to what "theoretically" is. I can see a type 5 defiantly being IXTP in my opinion any Ti dom is no doubt a strong candidate for type 5. I remember last week I was pumping gas and I can't stand when the pump just stops at full, so I tend to push the pump even when it's stopping. I kept pushing and pushing the pump because I knew my tank would fill up more gas and that its actually not completely full. For the most part I get a few more leters of gas in my tank by doing this, however I filled it so much that time the gas just burst out of my tank and I was like shit. Theoretically the gas tank was full when the pump stopped however in actuality the tank did have some more room to take more gas in. This is similar to how S and N minds work, one prefers the theoretical while the other prefers the actual. In order to get the world of the "actual" you need to be more involved physically. I guess "details" is kind of a shallow way to describe it.
    Yes.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This is very very untrue, quite the opposite If anything INTPs are the ones who don't care much about the little details. When I want to learn a skill I look at every single possible angel even if it takes seeing the bigger picture.I think ISTPs are much more "nitpicky" than INTPs. Every watch James bond when he says "shaken not stirred" that's kind of how we are. Your view is pretty narrow there.
    I don't know much about INTPs, but I do know ISTPs.

the way I see it INTPs are more vicarious and less involved they can see the bigger picture and get into certain details and ideas without getting into the activity. ISTPs need to be inside the activity to see the details they are much more involved. So when I'm involved I see all the details. It's the argument of what actually is as oppose to what "theoretically" is. I can see a type 5 defiantly being IXTP in my opinion any Ti dom is no doubt a strong candidate for type 5. I remember last week I was pumping gas and I can't stand when the pump just stops at full, so I tend to push the pump even when it's stopping. I kept pushing and pushing the pump because I knew my tank would fill up more gas and that its actually not completely full. For the most part I get a few more leters of gas in my tank by doing this, however I filled it so much that time the gas just burst out of my tank and I was like shit. Theoretically the gas tank was full when the pump stopped however in actuality the tank did have some more room to take more gas in. This is similar to how S and N minds work, one prefers the theoretical while the other prefers the actual. In order to get the world of the "actual" you need to be more involved physically. I guess "details" is kind of a shallow way to describe it.
    Yeah, I don't know much about enneagram admittedly, but I think 5 sometimes might be a little too deep for how some ISTPs function. I see ISTPs as just wanting the end results, and however that can be accomplished most successfully, is what they will do, not really desiring to go to the depths of theory at all, but staying more in the real world to get the job done. It's almost like they are so proficient with Ti that they don't need to delve any deeper than that, and their Se tethers them in the real world prohibiting it (unless they get stuck in some Ti/Si or Ti/Ni loop of course). I guess that's why I feel like they lean more toward the body center of enneagram.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    but the nature of 5 is that they are caught up in their heads because they fear the real world. ISTPs are grounded. most of them are very intelligent and analytical, but not in an academic way like a 5. analyzation and action are connected for an ISTP (a rare combination which can make them brutally effective) not so for most 5s. analyzation is for it's own sake is the motivation of a 5
    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I usually agree with all your posts, K, but I'd have to disagree here. I don't see most ISTPs having that kind of patience or interest to devote to in depth analysis of something, to find "ALL" the evidence. A few pieces to point in the right direction is all it takes. What works is usually good enough. Finding all the myriad tendrils and fleshing them out is Ne, and might be used by an ISTP, but only is he is gifted with righteous amounts of Ne for some reason.
    2 things -

1) Why are an ENFP and an INFJ more likely to be right about what ISTPs are like than ISTPs ourselves?

2) Why on earth is it hard to imagine that a Ti dom would be prone to detaching and overanalyzing everything? It boggles the mind....

I think you guys either have a very warped idea of what a 5 is, or a very warped idea of what an ISTP is. I actually suspect both are the case.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    2 things -

1) Why are an ENFP and an INFJ more likely to be right about what ISTPs are like than ISTPs ourselves?

2) Why on earth is it hard to imagine that a Ti dom would be prone to detaching and overanalyzing everything? It boggles the mind....

I think you guys either have a very warped idea of what a 5 is, or a very warped idea of what an ISTP is. I actually suspect both are the case.
    Oh come on Random! You're all just counterphobic 6w7's prone to STD's and overdosing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned

I don't know much about INTPs, but I do know ISTPs.

I see ISTPs as just wanting the end results, and however that can be accomplished most successfully, is what they will do, not really desiring to go to the depths of theory at all, but staying more in the real world to get the job done. It's almost like they are so proficient with Ti that they don't need to delve any deeper than that, and their Se tethers them in the real world prohibiting it (unless they get stuck in some Ti/Si or Ti/Ni loop of course). I guess that's why I feel like they lean more toward the body center of enneagram.
    I think you have a narrow view concerning the S and N world I agree that an S type would want to get the ends result but with the ends comes the means as well. For an ISTP type they would probably want to learn theory to achieve some kind of practical or visible end result while an N type would learn thoery for the sake of "theory" however both types are still learning theory in the process. The essence of a type 5 is to become more competent not necessarily to indulge in theory. If theory is something that makes a type 5 more competent than theory is merely a useful tool to achieve competence.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    2 things -

ISTPs can be 5's. Just saying (if you read further along in the thread) it's a different flavor than and N 5. That's all. And I still assert most ISTPs are more likely another enneagram type. Maybe a Type C poll is in order?

I'd agree with you on your 2nd thing, but my ISTP was thoroughly normal and not warped at all. So, if anything I know normal ISTP, not warped ISTP.

EDIT: If a Type C poll shows most ISTPs to be enneagram type 5, I will capitulate graciously.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

ISTPs can be 5's. Just saying (if you read further along in the thread) it's a different flavor than and N 5. That's all. And I still assert most ISTPs are more likely another enneagram type. Maybe a Type C poll is in order?

I'd agree with you on your 2nd thing, but my ISTP was thoroughly normal and not warped at all. So, if anything I know normal ISTP, not warped ISTP.
    Okay, you know one normal ISTP pretty well. Great. I know one normal ISTP pretty well, too. 5 seemingly "normal" ISTPs have posted and not one agrees that 5 is an unusual enneagram for an ISTP. I'm not a statistician, but I'm pretty sure 5>1. And that's not counting any experience we have with other ISTPs.

I did read the thread. The two of you assert that 5 is an uncommon enneatype for ISTPs because we aren't "deep" enough. I'm telling you that A) we are more analytical than you think, even if it's not as obvious to an observer as an INTP is and B) 5s may include a subset of ivory tower string theory dead-to-the-world brain-in-a-box people, sure, but you don't have to be anywhere near that extreme to be a 5! 5s are essentially just people who think too much, and ISTPs can definitely fall into that category, even if the one ISTP you know doesn't. Not every ISTP is a 5, and it sounds like your ex wasn't, but it's hardly an unexpected enneatype for a Ti dom....

edit: I'm 6w5 if it matters. From my understanding, 6 is one of the most common types for people in general, regardless of MBTI type. So given that, I'd guess that ISTPs would be most likely to be 5, 6 or 7. (and probably with 6 wings if a 5 or 7)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

There is a thread out there on common enneatypes for MBTI complete with graphs. I don't think 5 is too uncommon if I remember right.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.