User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 150

  1. #21
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's okay, I agree with you
    I think it's a situation of: there has been alot of research on the subject. I also have a book here, "What Type Am I?" by Renee Baron, which claims that 5 is the most common enneagram type for ISTP, with 6 and 1 being less common. I personally think 5 fits ISTP quite well. I am action-oriented, at the same time, I spend most of my time doing things that would be considered non-active. I am not and have never been very physically-active. I share ALOT in common with 5's, as in, the way I get rid of fear is through knowledge. One of the reasons I came to mbti is because of my fears of people, and knowledge of mbti seems to rid me of the fear. In fact, when I test, I test as a 5.

    You seem to want to say that such an animal cannot exist, when apparently, it does, and often enough. I know people with enneagram types that supposedly occur less-frequently, like estj 7's and istj 9's. They just have conflicting interests within the same person, and it manifests itself in an interesting way.

    (In the estj's case, it's just a more rigid, law-bringing guy who likes getting massages and having parties, and hanging with friends. Actually, a good combination, because when you attend one of his parties, you know that you will be safe, no matter how much you drink.)
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  2. #22
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I think it's a situation of: there has been alot of research on the subject. I also have a book here, "What Type Am I?" by Renee Baron, which claims that 5 is the most common enneagram type for ISTP, with 6 and 1 being less common. I personally think 5 fits ISTP quite well. I am action-oriented, at the same time, I spend most of my time doing things that would be considered non-active. I am not and have never been very physically-active. I share ALOT in common with 5's, as in, the way I get rid of fear is through knowledge. One of the reasons I came to mbti is because of my fears of people, and knowledge of mbti seems to rid me of the fear. In fact, when I test, I test as a 5.

    You seem to want to say that such an animal cannot exist, when apparently, it does, and often enough. I know people with enneagram types that supposedly occur less-frequently, like estj 7's and istj 9's.
    I'm simply saying I don't think it's extremely common. I also think *ISTP 8s are much more common than ISTP 1s (I really have a hard time picturing a Perceiver type being prevalent among 1s except for maybe INFP) on the other hand, I can see a lot of ISTPs being 8s

    *Edit: ISTP 8s
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #23
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Not quite sure what you are talking about here, Jag, but I'm just sayin ISTPs aren't as likely to be 5's
    You are not an ISTP, nor is Elfboy. If you don't want to know what ISTPs report as, I'm not sure why you're in this thread. Personal opinions and "guesses" are irrelevant. What matters is what ISTPs actually are. Are they only 5's? No. They've reported as 3, 6, 7 and 9 as well. There's also a chance that some of those who report as a T at the time, are actually an F. Or their I could be an E. One has to consider the variables. There are many enneagram diagrams circulating the net. I merely posted one. In that particular diagram, it should be obvious what the 5's have in common. IT.


    Furthermore, the enneagram types for ISTPs have been discussed many times in this forum, and others, such as INTPc and INTJf over the years. There are also Enneagram forums. As far as this forum is concerned, we have an Advanced Search Function for a reason - to find prior discussions on topics, just like this one.

    Use it:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/search.php

    Here are 2 to get you started:

    ISTPs enneagram:
    ISTPs enneagram

    Most likely Enneagram types for ISTP?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ypes-istp.html

    I'll repeat what I said before, it is common knowledge ISTPs report as 5's.
    You may not be interested in what is true, but other members are.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I'm simply saying I don't think it's extremely common. I also think ISTPs are much more common than ISTP 1s (I really have a hard time picturing a Perceiver type being prevalent among 1s except for maybe INFP) on the other hand, I can see a lot of ISTPs being 8s
    I doubt your opinion is more valid than all of the people who are writing books and doing research, out there.

    At the end of the day, it seems by most data that istp's represent in many of the enneagram types, with 5 being simply the most-common one seen. INTP, however, seems to occur mostly with a 5 enneagram. So, for example, while there may be 3-5 out of 10 istp 5's, there are 10 out of 10 intp 5's. Yet, 5 is reported as being seen most-commonly with both types, because it is.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  5. #25
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    5s are typically associated with introverted thinkers.....

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    yes, but not liking to theorize would make one much less likely to be a 5. I'm sure there are a fair amount of ISTP 5s, but I don't think it's one of the more common types, they just come across as much more pragmatic than 5s (that aren't substantially integrated to 8)
    I disagree from what I understand about the 5's is that they are very much like 8's except more competitive with themselves then with others. I'm pretty sure I'm a 5 and I get really addicted to learning new skills, which is very much a 5 trait. Notice in the 5 description it says "new knowledge and skills" yes a skill is something that requires more than just thinking. I've never seen an ISTP 3.Introverted thinking doms all very much live inside their own head.

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I usually agree with all your posts, K, but I'd have to disagree here. I don't see most ISTPs having that kind of patience or interest to devote to in depth analysis of something, to find "ALL" the evidence.
    This is very very untrue, quite the opposite If anything INTPs are the ones who don't care much about the little details. When I want to learn a skill I look at every single possible angel even if it takes seeing the bigger picture.I think ISTPs are much more "nitpicky" than INTPs. Every watch James bond when he says "shaken not stirred" that's kind of how we are. Your view is pretty narrow there.

  8. #28
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    This is very very untrue, quite the opposite If anything INTPs are the ones who don't care much about the little details. When I want to learn a skill I look at every single possible angel even if it takes seeing the bigger picture.I think ISTPs are much more "nitpicky" than INTPs. Every watch James bond when he says "shaken not stirred" that's kind of how we are. Your view is pretty narrow there.
    I wonder if it's the type of details involved. Because I notice when presenting an idea, INTPs will cover a lot of bases. Like if it's a matter of intellectual integrity or something, they're kind of known for whole walls-o-text, covering a lot of paremeters. On a day-to-day basis though, I think it'd be different.

  9. #29
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Yea, the INTP that works with my S.O. sends walls 'o text like mad, that are unbelievable. He's more complicated than I am. When he is writing a program, he will cover everything that could ever possibly happen, up, down, and sideways. He includes many things within his programs that are more complicated than needed, and unnecessary. We are detail-oriented, but in a more practical way. For the purposes of writing code, my S.O. thinks others are better writers, because he is constantly making his programs do more than they need to, and my S.O. has to always tell him to stop writing more. He turns a very simple task into rocket science. And then sometimes when there are bugs, he is in trouble because he can't remember what he did, it's so complicated, and he can't fix it......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I wonder if it's the type of details involved. Because I notice when presenting an idea, INTPs will cover a lot of bases. Like if it's a matter of intellectual integrity or something, they're kind of known for whole walls-o-text, covering a lot of paremeters. On a day-to-day basis though, I think it'd be different.
    the way I see it INTPs are more vicarious and less involved they can see the bigger picture and get into certain details and ideas without getting into the activity. ISTPs need to be inside the activity to see the details they are much more involved. So when I'm involved I see all the details. It's the argument of what actually is as oppose to what "theoretically" is. I can see a type 5 defiantly being IXTP in my opinion any Ti dom is no doubt a strong candidate for type 5. I remember last week I was pumping gas and I can't stand when the pump just stops at full, so I tend to push the pump even when it's stopping. I kept pushing and pushing the pump because I knew my tank would fill up more gas and that its actually not completely full. For the most part I get a few more leters of gas in my tank by doing this, however I filled it so much that time the gas just burst out of my tank and I was like shit. Theoretically the gas tank was full when the pump stopped however in actuality the tank did have some more room to take more gas in. This is similar to how S and N minds work, one prefers the theoretical while the other prefers the actual. In order to get the world of the "actual" you need to be more involved physically. I guess "details" is kind of a shallow way to describe it.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Most Common Enneagram Types for Each SP
    By Random Ness in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM
  2. [NF] Top 5 enneatype + wing types for NFs
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM
  3. [SJ] Top 5 enneatype + wing types for SJs
    By Elfboy in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
  4. [NT] Top 5 enneatype + wing types for NTs
    By Elfboy in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO