User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    intellectualism is an N activity. Sensors can certainly be intellectual, but they are using their N function heavily to do so
    Care to quantify why that is so then? I've never read any such thing in any typology books I've read. Or is this your Intuition telling you this? If so, enlighten me. What makes that intuition more reliable than decades worth of work done not just by Jung or Myers, but at this point, by a commitee?

Or is MBTI something you think you're free to interpret.. like a philosophy or something? Feel free, I guess, but I wonder.. why borrow other people's system and mangle it at random? Wouldn't it be easier (maybe even more profitable) to create your own personality theories?

That all out of the way, if Sensors are using N in these realms (and I don't necessarily deny that), then how is Ni playing out specifically for ISPs? What is it about Ni that makes this remarkable? Results done by a typical "down to earth" type of intellectual shies away from Ni. For example, it could be the plodding, investigative work of a field researcher.. someone who's keen about facts and evidence. That, or someone who could be very hands on and encyclopedic about many facts in their field.. like a botanist, for example. Someone who disciplines themselves to avoid any far flung conclusions they haven't found support for. You'd be hard pressed to say there's a lot of Ni in their perceptions. Some of these people might even bore some N types... yet they may both be intellectual in their own right.

Or are you saying that just the idea of someone even doing "research" is N in itself? Back to relegating us to eating hot dogs again. I guess.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Care to quantify why that is so then? I've never read any such thing in any typology books I've read. Or is this your Intuition telling you this? If so, enlighten me. What makes that intuition more reliable than decades worth of work done not just by Jung or Myers, but at this point, by a commitee?
    Ne and Ni deal with understanding and formulating concepts, which is essentially 80-90% of what intellectualism is. no complicated explanation necessary

Or is MBTI something you think you're free to interpret.. like a philosophy or something? Feel free, I guess, but I wonder.. why borrow other people's system and mangle it at random? Wouldn't it be easier (maybe even more profitable) to create your own personality theories?
    no, I'd type myself as an INFP or INTJ if I thought of it that way

That all out of the way, if Sensors are using N in these realms (and I don't necessarily deny that), then how is Ni playing out specifically for ISPs? What is it about Ni that makes this remarkable? Results done by a typical "down to earth" type of intellectual shies away from Ni. For example, it could be the plodding, investigative work of a field researcher.
    while it is still often a domain of the 5 (I'm assuming that's the point you're trying to make) pragmatic research is different than intellectualism.

someone who's keen about facts and evidence. That, or someone who could be very hands on and encyclopedic about many facts in their field.. like a botanist, for example. Someone who disciplines themselves to avoid any far flung conclusions they haven't found support for. You'd be hard pressed to say there's a lot of Ni in their perceptions. Some of these people might even bore some N types... yet they may both be intellectual in their own right.

Or are you saying that just the idea of someone even doing "research" is N in itself? Back to relegating us to eating hot dogs again. I guess.
    fair enough
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

while it is still often a domain of the 5 (I'm assuming that's the point you're trying to make) pragmatic research is different than intellectualism.
    This is where we disagree. A great majority of scientists are the pragmatic type. Yet, they're intellectual. Even if some are, say, INTPs, they know it must be done. Hell, the majority of Darwin's life was in the pragmatic realm. His theorizing wasn't even the half of it.

And a full blown Ne wouldn't even be that intellectual at times. Some ENTPs can't even sit down and think for longer than 10 seconds.

Exhibit A:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0GuglxtXA].[/youtube]

Permabanned

This is where we disagree. A great majority of scientists are the pragmatic type. Yet, they're intellectual. Even if some are, say, INTPs, they know it must be done. Hell, the majority of Darwin's life was in the pragmatic realm. His theorizing wasn't even the half of it.

And a full blown Ne wouldn't even be that intellectual at times. Some ENTPs can't even sit down and think for longer than 10 seconds.

Exhibit A:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0GuglxtXA].[/youtube]
    not all ENTPs are that bad. He looks like he has hardcore adhd.

True..but I don't think he's bad either. He's kind of funny.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Ne and Ni deal with understanding and formulating concepts, which is essentially 80-90% of what intellectualism is. no complicated explanation necessary
    Intellectualism is "devotion to the exercise of intellect or to intellectual pursuits". http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...ntellectualism A retard can be an intellectual, as long as s/he is devoted to intellectual pursuits. What you've written makes no sense. It must be nice to be N, where I could change the definitions of words to suit me.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

True..but I don't think he's bad either. He's kind of funny.
    He's extremely silly, ridiculous and annoying. Even Boxxy looks manly and laconic next to him.

Also:

They often don’t feel at home in the world, or even in their own bodies. If Type 4 feels like they were born into the wrong families, Type 5s feel like they were born onto the wrong planet. They feel alien, and indeed others can perceive them as a bit odd or eccentric.
    That is not ISTP at all. INFx are far often Type 5 than ISTPs. Those who believe that Type 5 is just a taste for intelect completely miss the point. 5s live primarly in their oniric world than in the real world, and ISTP are seldom like this.

Also, from Enneagram Blogspot:

(Type 5) •Myers-Briggs Equivalents

More Common:
    INTJ "The Free-Thinker" - Insightful, quick individualists who trust their own vision.
    INTP "The Wizard" - Develops unusual and complex ideas, challenging accepted truth.

Quite Common:
    ISTJ "The Reliant" - Systematic, painstaking, thorough, hardworking for commitments.
    INFP "The Dreamer" - Desire their world to be in line with their inner ideal vision.

(Type 7)•Myers-Briggs Equivalents

More Common:
    ESTP "The Adventurer" - Active, pragmatic, outgoing, fun, realistic accomplishers.
    ESFP "The Joker" - Sympathetic socialites generously meeting needs in a fun, lively way.
    ISTP "The Realist" - Quick adapter and planner, seeking freedom from strict structures.
    ENTP "The Innovator" - Adaptable, innovative, freeing self from structure for action.
    ENFP "The Visionary" - Love the fluid and changing, expressing creativity and charisma.
    That confirms what I said: ISTPs tend clearly more to be 7 than 5.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

I can see some things shared with 7 too, but often, it's almost described as extroverted most of the time. Very umm.. pleasure seeking, on the go, and led by their nose in a way. Which isn't Ti dominant either.

I'm sure there's some clever way of making it possible though, by rationalizing it with some instinctual or tritype idea. But if we're going to go that far, what's stopping an ISTP from being a 2 then? They could be Fe inferior, but just love to give.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    He's extremely silly, ridiculous and annoying. Even Boxxy looks manly and laconic next to him.

Also:

That is not ISTP at all. INFx are far often Type 5 than ISTPs. Those who believe that Type 5 is just a taste for intelect completely miss the point. 5s live primarly in their oniric world than in the real world, and ISTP are seldom like this.

Also, from Enneagram Blogspot:

That confirms what I said: ISTPs tend clearly more to be 7 than 5.
    Tertiary Ni and the resultant intuitive lack of awareness can come out quite strongly in some ISTPs. In the same way some INTPs get extremely anal about details in an Si manner, the reverse can also happen with ISTPs. I've seen it, so I know it happens.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

My good friend is an ISTP Ennegram 5. Not far fetched at all. You can live in your mind when you are alone and still be present in the real world when interacting with it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance