• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Impact!

wolfy

awsm
They say that an SP needs to have an impact. I can see that... as a start... I can get down on myself a bit when the amount of impact doesn't hit right. Like a missed chord in Angus Young's final solo of the night. But I really love the rush of trying and when it works it really works. Anyway...

How do you guys understand the need to have an impact. Do you relate to it?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
My desire for impact is a long-term one. I want to make a difference in the world, somehow. To contribute to the progress of life on Earth. In practice, this means having a career and doing quality work in my chosen field: science.

wolfy

awsm
My desire for impact is a long-term one. I want to make a difference in the world, somehow. To contribute to the progress of life on Earth. In practice, this means having a career and doing quality work in my chosen field: science.

That's cool. I've been looking into Holland's Codes again and noticed how I always get realistic/artistic as the top two. The others sit a little bit lower but I can do them. I see that a lot of what see as worthwhile in my work and life can be summed up in those two.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to have an impact in a more immediate sense. In social situations with people I know well I like to be noticed and well known for inappropriate dry comments and stories of wild behaviour.

In sport I play team sports but it is always important for me to have an impact and shine on the pitch.

As the type descriptions say I definitely love having an impact. I crave it. To be without impact is to be without oxygen. I love to shock and surprise. I love to effect people. I love to make girls fall for me.

Interested to see the different ways SPs crave to have an impact. Is it a general SP thing or specific to ISTP?

wolfy

awsm
I like to have an impact in a more immediate sense. In social situations with people I know well I like to be noticed and well known for inappropriate dry comments and stories of wild behaviour.

In sport I play team sports but it is always important for me to have an impact and shine on the pitch.

As the type descriptions say I definitely love having an impact. I crave it. To be without impact is to be without oxygen. I love to shock and surprise. I love to effect people. I love to make girls fall for me.

Interested to see the different ways SPs crave to have an impact. Is it a general SP thing or specific to ISTP?

I like impact in an immediate way. I enjoy performing, it feels good to impress with a skill. I love to effect people also. Those are pretty fundamental motivators for me I think.

KDude

I used to be wild, but not so much now. Stories are usually someone else's doing, and then I have to correct them.. maybe even with a facepalm. On some casual level, I guess I can be decisive/pushy/maybe more adventurous than some though. It's not about attention, but if I think some opportunity or something problematic presents itself, I find myself cutting through a lot of bullshit quicker than others. Maybe that's impact. I don't know.

As for sports, I think I focus on what's fun or not. I have friends who are way more competitive than I am. Performance is also something I'm not doing for anyone else's sake. I like playing music, but I'd rather be like.. I dunno.. Jimmy Page or something. I also hate when too many people are around and I'm just jamming or practicing with other musicians. The first thought that comes to mind isn't to want to perform for them. Like, "Cool, people are here!" I have to fight off the urge to tell them to go away. I hate it when I'm just working out the kinks in something and people are around.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I don't care about impressing people at all. It's only when I feel I need to impress that I'll do it, like dressing up nice for a job interview.

Kuchisake

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't really understand the whole impact thing (because English isn't my native language and I'm not entirely sure what is meant by it).

But I do like to "stand out", even though some times I hate it.
Makes sense?

KDude

I can't help from standing out a little, physically, but I've never welcomed too much attention by choice. I'm 6'5" and half Asian, and I'm aware that it's different enough where I live. For better or worse.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My desire for impact is a long-term one. I want to make a difference in the world, somehow.

Me too.

Standing out- don't really care to. Don't really need attention, except from one person.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like impact in an immediate way. I enjoy performing, it feels good to impress with a skill. I love to effect people also. Those are pretty fundamental motivators for me I think.

I'll just cheat off wolfy's paper and say "Me too." Even one person laughing at a joke I make or telling me they loved something I made, that keeps me buzzing for a while. I'm not hard to please but it needs to be a quick reaction or I feel bad that nobody responded. That's why I tend to like one-on-one chat stuff on the net better than message boards because there's more immediate reaction.

The downside of course is that if I do get lots of immediate reactions then it's like crack, I don't want to quit and I end up not getting any sleep and hurting my work situation. :blush:

wolfy

awsm
I'll just cheat off wolfy's paper and say "Me too." Even one person laughing at a joke I make or telling me they loved something I made, that keeps me buzzing for a while. I'm not hard to please but it needs to be a quick reaction or I feel bad that nobody responded. That's why I tend to like one-on-one chat stuff on the net better than message boards because there's more immediate reaction.

The downside of course is that if I do get lots of immediate reactions then it's like crack, I don't want to quit and I end up not getting any sleep and hurting my work situation. :blush:

That reminds me of something a friend said to me the other day, she said 'You are the type that grows with praise' I think that is how it would be in English. The literal Japanese translation would be 'You stretch with praise'. Actually, it's kind of devious if you realise it about me 'cause it is easier to get me to try harder if you praise me a bit. Criticism doesn't hurt my pride as much as it can move me into my head and damage some forward momentum. And ambivalence can either makes me ramp it up or move on.