User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: ISTP Motto

  1. #31
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    One thing is that it's almost impossible for me to tell the difference between someone who doesn't react emotionally and someone who feels apathetic.
    It's hard for me to express the type of emotiveness some want, even if I'm not apathetic. Hard to explain, I guess. You could give a simple "yes" or "no" answer in support for someone, and they can still be sensitive about it. "Fine, just tell me you don't care."

    Well, maybe not that sensitive, but it can be something along those lines. What it is though is someone seeking Fe, I think. And I suppose IFPs can still express that, if necessary. ITPs, not so much.

  2. #32
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    It's hard for me to express the type of emotiveness some want, even if I'm not apathetic. Hard to explain, I guess. You could give a simple "yes" or "no" answer in support for someone, and they can still be sensitive about it. "Fine, just tell me you don't care."

    Well, maybe not that sensitive, but it can be something along those lines. What it is though is someone seeking Fe, I think. And I suppose IFPs can still express that, if necessary. ITPs, not so much.
    I see. I dunno, with some people (like yourself and jix) I can tell that it isn't apathy but more a lack of a reaction. With others I can't tell so much. In those cases, I think maybe there's nothing there. It's hard to explain. Sometimes you can not react or say anything but a sentiment permeates the air somehow. Body language and the eyes are a big communicator too.

  3. #33
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I see. I dunno, with some people (like yourself and jix) I can tell that it isn't apathy but more a lack of a reaction. With others I can't tell so much. In those cases, I think maybe there's nothing there. It's hard to explain. Sometimes you can not react or say anything but a sentiment permeates the air somehow. Body language and the eyes are a big communicator too.
    I know what you mean when there's nothing there too. My advice is just pay attention to people's overall actions to you. Not just react to how they are on the surface/in the moment. If you have a friend that isn't very expressive, but still helpful in general, then don't doubt it. Otherwise, to hell with everyone else.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I don't think ISTPs are very "sensitive" people, I think they are sensitive when somebody crosses the line they are more in tune with their environment so they might notice it more than other people. For the most part ISTPs are known to be quite emotionally stable and aloof. In terms of acting disrespectful as long as you understand the other persons boundaries and the other person understands your boundaries then that is all that matters which is not dependent on type.
    hmm...maybe that's why people who have such varying emotional states. uh, "drama" wig me out.

  5. #35
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Fi or Ti has little to do with emotional stability. It's irrelevant.

    Also, my cat is aloof. Maybe I'll type her ISTP too. If only she had a 44 magnum and a giant swinging dick.. like Clint Eastwood or something. Then she'd be picture perfect.

  6. #36
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Fi or Ti has little to do with emotional stability. It's irrelevant.

    Also, my cat is aloof. Maybe I'll type her ISTP too. If only she had a 44 magnum and a giant swinging dick.. like Clint Eastwood or something. Then she'd be picture perfect.
    It does have something to do with emotional stability. I had an ISFP friend on my soccer team who always went ape shit when things got intense on the field. I find F types react to other people emotions and get too emotional themselves. With me when things get intense I still try and keep my cool, this is more T type behaviour. It's not that I'm not feeling the intensity of the game or people around me it's more that I'm not paying attention to it because I know it will screw up mental state, so I'll repress it for the time being.

  7. #37
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    It does have something to do with emotional stability. I had an ISFP friend on my soccer team who always went ape shit when things got intense on the field. I find F types react to other people emotions and get too emotional themselves. With me when things get intense I still try and keep my cool, this is more T type behaviour. It's not that I'm not feeling the intensity of the game or people around me it's more that I'm not paying attention to it because I know it will screw up mental state, so I'll repress it for the time being.
    Not sure I can address sports. I've never really been that intense about them. They've primarily been for fun. When I was younger, I'd get down about losses, but never the opposite.. never intense about winning. Even besides sports, if it was something I could just do for myself. Like skateboarding.. I kind of intentionally limited my skills there, and just did what I thought was fun.

    I'm getting off the point though. I can still go apeshit when my competence is questioned about things I care about. It just has to be personal. I think anyone is susceptible to this. Maybe your friend is more personal about sports. For the rest of us, it could take something else. It's hard to believe you wouldn't have any motivation for flipping out on someone. That you're the same way no matter what the issue.

  8. #38
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Not sure I can address sports. I've never really been that intense about them. They've primarily been for fun. When I was younger, I'd get down about losses, but never the opposite.. never intense about winning. Granted, some of the team sports were sort of forced/expected from my dad.. but even when I chose my own, I paced myself. Like skateboarding.. I almost intentionally limited my skills to things I only found fun. I liked jumping gaps and high ollies, but sucked at kick/hellflips, and had little intention to better myself. I have a friend who was super intense about learning.. the kind of guy who'd sit around for hours until he got it right. He was annoying when he did this. I just wanted to skate, then go home for awhile, and whatever. Not ever be the best.

    I'm getting off the point though. I can still go apeshit when my competence is questioned about things I care about. It just has to be personal. I think any is susceptible to this. Maybe your friend is more personal about sports. For the rest of us, it could take something else. It's hard to believe you wouldn't have any motivation for flipping out on someone. That you're the same way no matter what the issue.
    I think you've kind of missed my point, which is F types react and are more sensitive to other peoples emotions more so than T types. F types really pay attention to emotions and will ignore reason over it. This is why women are so predominately F, they have to be because they need to react to their child's needs accordingly, It's crucial for their children's survival. When things get personal I can and cannot keep my cool it all depends, I know when I was younger I wasn't able to keep cool as I am today. I know there were alot of times when I've suppressed alot of my emotions because my mind took over and said "this is a stupid thing to do right now" so I followed that voice even when things got really intense. In a way I admire F types because they seem more free, they express themselves more freely.

  9. #39
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    This is why women are so predominately F, they have to be because they need to react to their child's needs accordingly, It's crucial for their children's survival.
    lol.. if only my mom was one of these women. i might have learned better survival skills. j/k

    When things get personal I can and cannot keep my cool it all depends, I know when I was younger I wasn't able to keep cool as I am today. I know there were alot of times when I've suppressed alot of my emotions because my mind took over and said "this is a stupid thing to do right now" so I followed that voice even when things got really intense.
    Yeah, I'm much better too. I think it's a mix of being afraid of law, with some internal motivation. I did not know how to suppress very much when I was young though. Very impulsive. Stupid shit would put my pride on the line, and I'd convince myself something had to be done/said right then.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    That's the definition of "sensitve" I am using. So when I said "sensitive", that's what I meant.
    I couldn't agree more. I hate the stereotypes that ISTP's can't be sensitive, and it is absolutely not my experience. After being romantically involoved with an ISTP for 5 years, living with him for 4, being very close to his ISTP best friend and the best friends wife, I have a much different view of ISTP. I have learned a few things.

    1) I don't take much of what others say about ISTP's seriously, especially when it comes to ISTP depth. THis type is the most difficult I've ever encountered to get to know on a very deep level. Hell, I think many ISTP's don't even know themselves on a deep level. Just because someone is uncomfortable or even incapeable of understanding and articulating their own emotions, DOES NOT mean they cease to exist. ISTP's (especially e9's) are HIGHLY sensitive to their own inner world, seaking peace and harmony at almost any cost. THe problem lies in their defense mechanism of disassociating. And again, just because they dissassociate DOES NOT mean that those emotions cease to exist, even though it might seem this way to ISTP and all on-lookers. No No No, they are still there, and tend manifest is some very pecular, REPRESSED ways.

    I was about 3 years into my relation before I caught this intuitively. Prior to that I blindly bought this emotionless malarkey the profiles cast off. And this next bit is not meant to be egotistical, know it all, "I have the key" shit.. but I absolutely believe that the ONLY reason I've been able to see into my ISTP as much as I have is because I am NF e4, who is tremendously motivated to understand the emotional landscape of those close to me, extract these findings and offer them up for self growth and actualization for my partner. Many other types are just not that motivated to put in this kind of time, energy, and understanding.. especially with ISTP because ISTP themselves wan't to operate at face-value.

    2) It is my experience that ISTP 9's are far less likely to scrap, argue or involove themselves in anykind of hostile situation, moving back to that peace and harmony at any cost bit. However, E6 CP's DO. Since I only know 1 ISTP e6 CP fairly well, I don't feel like I have enough insight to add alot to this. All I can say is that there is a marked difference that seems to lie in e-type.

    3) ISTP e9'and ISTP PH 6 is not usually the lone-wolf autonomy junkies that the profiles indicate. Every ISTP I've known has quite a history of relationships, and long term at that. While the descriptions claim ISTP's tend to seek out those that operate similarly this is not what I've observed. Many ISTP's are drawn to partners that exhibit qualities the ISTP subconsciously lacks in themselves. Especially Extroversion and feeling. However, they do draw to people with similar life styles, especially hobbies. Hunting, automechanics, musical pursuits, hiking and sports, etc. You could say this about anytype though.

    4) As far as ISTP's being egotistical, I disagree on this as well. What ISTP's DO have is a strong and unwavering belief that they are just as deserving as anyone else, and that NOBODY has a right to fuck with their inner mojo. THIS is why ISTP's can come across as uncaring and disconnected. Because if they see you cramping their style through needs, demands, or anything they deem inauthentic to themselves, they will lose you regardless of how much they care deep down. And its not hard for them because when it gets uncomfortable they just disassociate any negative feelings your causing. Yes they can drop you like a hot tato and NOT look back.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTP motto
    By jixmixfix in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 03:49 AM
  2. [ISTP] ISTP Sites
    By sassafrassquatch in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
  3. [ISTP] ISTPs... I have a question.
    By INTJMom in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
  4. [ISTP] ISTP description for hiddenpsyche
    By meanlittlechimp in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
  5. [ISTP] Question for ISTPs on a painful/awkward issue...
    By anii in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO