• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTPs growing up

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am now 28 years old and I feel unrecognisable as the out of control 18 year old I was ten years ago. I am so much more mature, I have developed a capacity to feel and have emotions (rarely but sometimes) I think about the consequences of my actions and I consider other people. I guess it is normal for any type to become more mature as they age, although its only really over the last year i have noticed it.

I guess it is making me a more rounded individual and in general a better person.

Anyone else want to expand on how they have changed as they have got older? I guess this will be similar for all SPs.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yeah I'm able to carry out smooth conversations now than I did 10 years ago as a teenager, i'm not so socially awkward as I used to be. I found my Se really started to really develop in my 20's and Iam able to take more risks. I'm also able to express my opinions and feelings alot better without feeling to hurt or annoyed.

KDude

I'm probably ISXP. I guess I would say it took a few crisis situations for me to change. I was out of control too. I didn't come about changes over time though. It was more like "Enough of this shit!"

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not ISTP, but I can relate to your experience. When I was a young girl, I kept to myself, was quiet and moody, studious and at the same time out doing a bunch of things at once. But it was always to accomplish something. Now I can relax and enjoy the moment a bit more. I enjoy other people's company and working with them. If you saw me at 18, you never would have thought I would turn out the way I have.

Nicodemus

I think we should keep them small so that they can fix machines from within.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The major difference between my teens and early twenties is that now I have a soul.

I'm only half kidding.

I was incredibly selfish and dismissive of anything I didn't consider important (other people's feelings/reactions) when I was younger. Probably because I didn't care about my own.

I'm 32 now. I've experienced enough ups and downs to be able to "put myself in their shoes". I can empathize with others. That's only due to first hand experiences and having put myself outside my comfort zone a time or two. I'm just a kinder person.

It's all relative. Emotionally speaking - a kinder, gentler ISTP still looks like this, let's say, to an ENFP: :marionette:

;)

KDude

It's all relative. Emotionally speaking - a kinder, gentler ISTP still looks like this, let's say, to an ENFP: :marionette:

;)

For real.

I don't know why I even consider myself F sometimes. Maybe internally it seems that way sometimes, but habits/actions say something else. I've snapped out of the worst of it, for sure, but I can never seem to get to the point others do. Even if I do something more "selfless", I might let it be known how much it sucks.

I don't know if people are full of shit, but the level of niceties they suggest or live by still come hard to me. Sometimes I think it's them who needs to grow up. lol

jixmixfix

Permabanned
For real.

I don't know why I even consider myself F sometimes. Maybe internally it seems that way sometimes, but habits/actions say something else. I've snapped out of the worst of it, for sure, but I can never seem to get to the point others do. Even if I do something more "selfless", I might let it be known how much it sucks.

I don't know if people are full of shit, but the level of niceties they suggest or live by still come hard to me. Sometimes I think it's them who needs to grow up. lol

I think cognitive functions are the best way to figure out type, so If you look into Fi and Ti try to think about which one best suits your "essence".

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmm... Topic seems almost a "no-brainer" which is intended to be a "pun" making light of the following information.

Part of human development is the evolution between the Limbic "primative" brain; and "Pre-Frontal Cortex".

The Limbic region places no moral value or judgements; it only understands whether something's pleasurable or needed. So for example; ever try to get a three year old to share their toys? :doh:

Brain development continues through the mid-twenties; with most wrapping up around 27. By that time, people are generally at a whole different space. Often those who may have struggled with higher education during their late teens/early twenties. Can surprise themselves by successfully resuming such pursuits at a later stage in life.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
hmm... Topic seems almost a "no-brainer" which is intended to be a "pun" making light of the following information.

Part of human development is the evolution between the Limbic "primative" brain; and "Pre-Frontal Cortex".

The Limbic region places no moral value or judgements; it only understands whether something's pleasurable or needed. So for example; ever try to get a three year old to share their toys? :doh:

Brain development continues through the mid-twenties; with most wrapping up around 27. By that time, people are generally at a whole different space. Often those who may have struggled with higher education during their late teens/early twenties. Can surprise themselves by successfully resuming such pursuits at a later stage in life.

I fucking hate school, and I love learning more than anything but I hate school with a passion.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I fucking hate school, and I love learning more than anything but I hate school with a passion.

oh jixtah' tell'z us how u really feel! :horor:

Know what you're saying. Seems I'm always teaching myself new things; or exploring topics of interest. Relentlessly.

I have 12 university level courses I was credited for through purely self-study.

hmm...I wonder if well, ISTP's aren't just the "masters" at teaching themselves new things? hmmm

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I come here occasionally to read some of my old posts, just to get some insights. Hell, posts from 8 months ago seem like they were written by a totally different person.

People develop, that's for sure.

Specific changes I've observed include:
- better insight into my ability to make intuitive judgments - when to trust - and when not to trust, my instinct. this is partially just from going through repeated trials, obviously, but with significant improvements in terms of understanding what is possible for people in general. I have better focus on critical details.
- better goal setting and goal fulfilling behavior (with much room for improvement)
- changed views/aspirations/acceptance/non-acceptance of behavior in self/others
- considerable improvement with social negotiations, playing politics, working with a group and understanding group dynamics.
- improved capacity to observe environments.

similar people are likely to try to fix similar deficiencies over time, but none of this is really that specific.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A wise man once asked: Exactly, at which growth stage is a Rose not perfect?

Kuchisake

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well, to be honest, I'm still in my teens. So my insight might be light.
I do know though, that when I was a kid 2-9 I used to be very curious as to how things were put together, I went to the TV with a knife and tried to open it up too check how it looked like on the inside.
As I got older, I kept looking at broken objects (mainly techno logic objects) and tried to put them together so that they'd work.
Obviously, all sort of different results came out.

Now that I'm older I'm not as curious about it, as I've figured most things out, (I don't know what any of the things in a computer are called though, clever, right?)

I also notice that when I was at age 0-8 I was much more outgoing and active, I was always playing with boys and cars, and getting bruised and upbeat.
Now that I'm older I've gotten a bit lazy "I don't see the purpose in doing that or this" etc. which sort of bothers me, it's probably just the irregularity in hormones though and I'm trying to lift my spirits up so that I won't end up like a slob.

And there's a lot more that has changed during my teenage years, like when I was 14 etc I didn't really know how to communicate at all, now I do know how to, but I don't normally see a reason to do so unless someone seems fairly interesting.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I feel like my maturity level has increased, but damn... I'm still fucking retarded in some ways.

Do people (normal people) really call others just to check up and say hi? Nobody does that with me, but someone suggested it because I'm "really bad about staying in touch."

......... :dry:

redhotchips

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi, first time poster here:

So for the female ISTPs, around the 25yo age, what finally made you want to settle down in a committed relationship? (I've read the comments about waiting til 40!)

Did it matter if you had the "perfect" guy in front of you, yet you still wanted to explore your freedom and date around because you were still youngish? So nothing could change your mind at that time period, even if it meant putting that guy up for loss?

Is actually experiencing things (for better or worse), the ONLY way you are willing to live and break out of your shell?

Obviously I have my own situation I am trying to get insight on, I may start a new thread on it soon, don't want to derail.

[blah, I ended up making it here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51855&pagenumber= ]

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel like my maturity level has increased, but damn... I'm still fucking retarded in some ways.

Do people (normal people) really call others just to check up and say hi? Nobody does that with me, but someone suggested it because I'm "really bad about staying in touch."

......... :dry:

People like to know that you are thinking about them...that you care about them...that you haven't forgotten about them or abandoned them. If you do care (and determining if you really care is the hard part) think about the various ways you can show someone this. If you are doing none of these then they may request for you to stay in touch with them by way of giving them some sort of attention, any sort of attention. The attention that takes the least amount of effort is just to say "hi, how are you doing?"

I do agree, however, that the effort should be mutual though.