User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    IDK
    Posts
    92

    Cool How do you tell the difference between an ISFP and ISTP?

    Ive been learning about this personality typing stuff for about two years and I tend to go through these phases where I think I'm an INFP, ENFP, INPT, ENTP, ISTJ, INFJ, etc. But no matter what, I always end up returning to the ISxP categories. I've researched Ti and Fi before and I feel like I relate to both. Its almost like I'm either a soft ISTP or a hard ISFP.

    Some of the things that make me think I'm an ISTP would be
    -the fact that I love math, puzzles, riddles, etc. I love a mental task/challenge.
    -i have a natural knack for putting things together (like furniture and whatnot) and i do like to use tools.
    -i'm a natural at computer programming (even though i find it to be really boring).
    -i've spent most of my life being considered the "smart" one and a "problem solver".
    -when i get it arguments, i try to solve the problem logically and keep emotions to a minimum so that things don't get out of hand for no reason.
    -i tend to be somewhat tomboyish, which seems to be somewhat common for female ISTPs.

    Things that make me thing I'm more of an ISFP would be
    -the fact that I'm soft-hearted. I am more sensitive than most people realize, although sometimes I do show it to the people I'm closest too.
    -I also love babies and animals and feel very protective over them, even if i don't know them.
    -I want to be a teacher (probably a math teacher) and I really like the idea of helping kids get a good education and maybe having some kind of positive influence.
    -I tend to analyse myself a lot. I'm always trying to figure out what I really want and what I'm really all about.-
    I haven't heard too much ISTPs talking about these kinds of things, but I have seen ISFPs talk about them.



    So, if there are any clear-cut differences between ISTPs and ISFPs that might help clear things up, I'd love to hear them.


    also, if it makes any difference, I think I'm an enneagram 6w5.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    The Interaction and Communication Styles are very different for the two types.

    ISFP= Behind the Scenes with an Informing communication style.
    ISTP= Chart the Course with a Directing communication style.

    Go here, and scroll down to the grid:

    http://www.interactionstyles.com/

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    IDK
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The Interaction and Communication Styles are very different for the two types.

    ISFP= Behind the Scenes with an Informing communication style.
    ISTP= Chart the Course with a Directing communication style.

    Go here, and scroll down to the grid:

    http://www.interactionstyles.com/
    According to this I relate more to ISTP. I like to have a basic plan of action when I'm doing something. It doesn't have to be set in stone, but an idea at least. I don't usually try and tell people what to do, but if no one else is willing to make a decision or a plan I can take control of the situation and be directing.

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Um one is an Fi dom and one is a Ti dom.

    Look for clear differences between Fi and Ti.

    I think you might be ISTP.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

    ISTP= Chart the Course with a Directing communication style.

    Go here, and scroll down to the grid:

    http://www.interactionstyles.com/
    Very true about me. I haven't seen this site before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAlwaysSunny View Post

    -I am more sensitive than most people realize, although sometimes I do show it to the people I'm closest too.
    -I also love babies and animals and feel very protective over them, even if i don't know them.
    maybe having some kind of positive influence.
    -I tend to analyse myself a lot. I'm always trying to figure out what I really want and what I'm really all about.-
    These are also true about me.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  6. #6
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    for some reason, you give off an INFP vibe to me, but nothing I would really go off of
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    for some reason, you give off an INFP vibe to me, but nothing I would really go off of
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS THREAD WHICH SHOWS ACTUAL FACTUAL BRAIN CORRELATION TO FUNCTIONS

    No more vibes, no more extreme guessing, let's embrace the factual evidence of function theory.
    Likes e.lee.sa liked this post

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    IDK
    Posts
    92

    Default

    any other ISTPs out there who relate to some of that stuff that made me consider ISFP?

  9. #9
    The Destroyer Colors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    It's hard to say when almost everything you list has nothing to do with either Ti or Fi:

    "Some of the things that make me think I'm an ISTP would be
    -the fact that I love math, puzzles, riddles, etc. I love a mental task/challenge.
    -i have a natural knack for putting things together (like furniture and whatnot) and i do like to use tools. Putting together furniture is not exactly rare in the IKEA sense, can anyone actually have a "knack" for that? This statement also says nothing for your judgment process.
    -i'm a natural at computer programming (even though i find it to be really boring). Unrelated to type.
    -i've spent most of my life being considered the "smart" one and a "problem solver". Says more about other people than it does about yourself
    -when i get it arguments, i try to solve the problem logically and keep emotions to a minimum so that things don't get out of hand for no reason. Who the hell would want to admit they solve problems illogically? Says more about your social values rather than the process you actually use to solve problems.
    -i tend to be somewhat tomboyish, which seems to be somewhat common for female ISTPs. What exactly makes you "tomboyish"? Again has nothing to do with Ti/Fi.

    Things that make me thing I'm more of an ISFP would be
    -the fact that I'm soft-hearted. I am more sensitive than most people realize, although sometimes I do show it to the people I'm closest too. What does this mean? Isn't everyone secretly "soft-hearted"?
    -I also love babies and animals and feel very protective over them, even if i don't know them. Humans feel protective over babies, it's so we take care of them even though they are helpless and annoying, objectively.
    -I want to be a teacher (probably a math teacher) and I really like the idea of helping kids get a good education and maybe having some kind of positive influence. This is a personal statement, but says nothing about your mental process.
    -I tend to analyse myself a lot. I'm always trying to figure out what I really want and what I'm really all about.-Okay, this is somewhat helpful. You're introspective, elaborate on this.
    I haven't heard too much ISTPs talking about these kinds of things, but I have seen ISFPs talk about them."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    IDK
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    It's hard to say when almost everything you list has nothing to do with either Ti or Fi:

    "Some of the things that make me think I'm an ISTP would be
    -the fact that I love math, puzzles, riddles, etc. I love a mental task/challenge.
    -i have a natural knack for putting things together (like furniture and whatnot) and i do like to use tools. Putting together furniture is not exactly rare in the IKEA sense, can anyone actually have a "knack" for that? This statement also says nothing for your judgment process.
    -i'm a natural at computer programming (even though i find it to be really boring). Unrelated to type.
    -i've spent most of my life being considered the "smart" one and a "problem solver". Says more about other people than it does about yourself
    -when i get it arguments, i try to solve the problem logically and keep emotions to a minimum so that things don't get out of hand for no reason. Who the hell would want to admit they solve problems illogically? Says more about your social values rather than the process you actually use to solve problems.
    -i tend to be somewhat tomboyish, which seems to be somewhat common for female ISTPs. What exactly makes you "tomboyish"? Again has nothing to do with Ti/Fi.

    Things that make me thing I'm more of an ISFP would be
    -the fact that I'm soft-hearted. I am more sensitive than most people realize, although sometimes I do show it to the people I'm closest too. What does this mean? Isn't everyone secretly "soft-hearted"?
    -I also love babies and animals and feel very protective over them, even if i don't know them. Humans feel protective over babies, it's so we take care of them even though they are helpless and annoying, objectively.
    -I want to be a teacher (probably a math teacher) and I really like the idea of helping kids get a good education and maybe having some kind of positive influence. This is a personal statement, but says nothing about your mental process.
    -I tend to analyse myself a lot. I'm always trying to figure out what I really want and what I'm really all about.-Okay, this is somewhat helpful. You're introspective, elaborate on this.
    I haven't heard too much ISTPs talking about these kinds of things, but I have seen ISFPs talk about them."
    Yeah, I don't need a lecture on the fact that these don't relate to Ti or Fi. I've read over Ti and Fi many times and I think I slightly prefer Ti, but relate enough to Fi where I'm not sure if it could be my eighth (demonic) function.

    Thats why I was asking for concrete differences in the way the two types think or even live there lives.


    To answer some of your questions though:
    What exactly makes you "tomboyish"?
    I'm not interested in a lot of the things that most of the girls/women I know are. They are much more into make-up, clothing, jewelry, gossip, social status in relation to other girls, talking about how annoying guys are, etc.. I don't know how else to explain it, but I feel like I'm more tomboyish and always have felt that way.

    Who the hell would want to admit they solve problems illogically?
    Obviously, nobody is going to admit to being illogical, but it baffles me how I can be arguing with someone and trying to solve the problem, but the problem becomes completely irrelevent because the other person is now claiming that their feelings are hurt. When my feelings get hurt I don't use it to guilt trip people, I just silently deal with it. The only reason I argue is to fix whatever the problem is so that we never have to argue again.

    What does this mean? Isn't everyone secretly "soft-hearted"?
    I don't know. Are they? A lot of people on various ISTP forums act like they're made of stone. How am I supposed to know what everoyone secretly is?

    Okay, this is somewhat helpful. You're introspective, elaborate on this.
    Well, this is where the whole Fi/Ti confusion comes in sometimes. I think I'm at a point in life where I'm really trying to figure out who I am and because of it I'm always analayzing myself and trying to figure out what I want. That kind of sounds like something that an Fi dom might do, but then again wouldn't they already know what they want? Maybe its Ti thats making me so analytical. I honestly don't know.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 01:13 AM
  2. [NT] How do you tell the difference between an INTP and an INTJ?
    By FFF in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM
  3. How do you tell the difference between the NT types?
    By TypologyCentral in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
  4. [MBTItm] ESFP or ISFP - How do you tell the difference?
    By Thalassa in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO