• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFP is not an art appreciator

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
from http://sn.im/281bwq
ISFP

• Among the highest persisters in college.

Ok.

• In national sample “Leisure Activities,” overrepresented in “Watching TV 3 or more hours per day” and “Watching TV for leisure”

Yep.

• Underrepresented in “Reading,” “Working out/exercising,” “Writing,” “Appreciating art,” and “Taking classes, going to school.”

Sure.

SCREEEEEEECHHHHHHHH...

Wait a minute! If this is called the SP Arthouse for a good reason, then why is the ISFP underrepresented in "appreciating art"?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a feeling that may mean fine art, like the very conceptual/abstract stuff.

My ISFP step-dad doesn't have a lot of interest in fine art. However, he is a cartoonist and enjoys cartoons & illustration a lot (which is often unfairly NOT categorized as a fine art). I don't think it's that he couldn't appreciate fine art, it's just that he doesn't pursue it. He doesn't go to art museums or create it himself.

The thing about the survey is we don't know how they phrased questions. I mean, if you were to ask many of the ISFPs I know if they like "art", they would say yes, and many would be including such things as cartoons in that definition. If you were to ask them if they knew much about fine art, they would probably say no.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
...aren't a lot of visual artists SFPs?

I don't think all ISFPs like cartoons and comic books. There are people like Sophia Coppola and Salvidor Dali.

I find it very strange that ISFPs would be underrepresented in reading, writing, art, and exercise. Even Keirsey stereotypes ISFPs as being either artists or great novelists. Se also tends to be associated with either the arts or sports or athleticism.

I think something is rotten in Denmark. I've seen stats that say ISFPs are prone to dropping out of college, and this says they're one of the highest persisters.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I were to go by statistics alone on this page I would presume I were an INFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I were to go by statistics alone on this page I would presume I were an INFP.

A lot of ISFPs probably mistype as INFP for this reason. I can imagine many ISFP e4s, for example, mistyping as INFP & not identifying with this list either.

I also wasn't implying all ISFPs only like cartoons. I just mean to illustrate that some may like art in less formal terms, and if the questions asked were not worded to include these, then the results may misrepresent their interests.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...aren't a lot of visual artists SFPs?

I don't think all ISFPs like cartoons and comic books. There are people like Sophia Coppola and Salvidor Dali.

I find it very strange that ISFPs would be underrepresented in reading, writing, art, and exercise. Even Keirsey stereotypes ISFPs as being either artists or great novelists. Se also tends to be associated with either the arts or sports or athleticism.

I think something is rotten in Denmark. I've seen stats that say ISFPs are prone to dropping out of college, and this says they're one of the highest persisters.

That page says both, in a way. The ISFP is a persister who is underrepresented in taking classes. Apparently, once they decide to attend school they stick with it.

(Edited)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A lot of ISFPs probably mistype as INFP for this reason. I can imagine many ISFP e4s, for example, mistyping as INFP & not identifying with this list either.

I also wasn't implying all ISFPs only like cartoons. I just mean to illustrate that some may like art in less formal terms, and if the questions asked were not worded to include these, then the results may misrepresent their interests.

I can see what you're saying, as many people in the general population probably prefer popular art of some kind rather than fine art, unless they happen to have a specific interest in that. There are also quite a lot of sensing feeling types, aren't there? So everyone gets all lumped in together, while there are less N types.

I thought it was weird that ISFJs were likely to be heroin addicts, if they chose to do hard drugs.

MorningCoffee

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I was good at writing in high school, even today I write sometimes, although i have to admit that laziness stops me often. I also wouldn't say that i'm not art appreciator, i go to art exhibitions, visiting theaters... True, i maybe prefer underground art, or more unconventional artists than those who are mainstream, i appreciate experimental art also.

I'm not out of school either, just one year more and i will finish college. Let me be honest, i'm not some great student, but i'm not bad. I promised to myself that i will finish this. I'm having hard time with studying but i don't think i'm stupid because i deal better with practice than with theory and i often delay my obligation, waiting for last moment to finish task... but, i always do it somehow at the end.... My hobbies are helping me a lot because doing things i like makes me happy and optimistic about everything, even about studying.

Well, i'm quite new in this, but if tests are right and i'm really ISFP, then i can't confirm that we aren't interested in art or that we don't study at all. But, in my case i can say that i'm more familiar with unconventional forms of art and education that with regular one. I like to see new, uncommon, interesting.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
of the 3 isfp's i know best, one went to art school as a furniture major for one year and dropped out, one is taking painting and ceramics classes for fun, and the other isn't into art but is very into clothes, makeup, etc.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe they naturally appreciate art so well they have no need for piffling classes on the subject...

MorningCoffee

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
of the 3 isfp's i know best, one went to art school as a furniture major for one year and dropped out, one is taking painting and ceramics classes for fun, and the other isn't into art but is very into clothes, makeup, etc.

I consider clothes and make up to be some form of art too... Some clothing designers can be real artists and make amazing things with textures and colors in order to create clothes...

Sunny Ghost

I didn't see anything on who or what put together this poll. I also agree that a lot of ISFP's are mistyped as ENFP, INFP and even INFJ.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most ISFPs I know enjoy art in some form. If its not visual art, then its something else like music or dance.

There are several ways to appreciate art. I think ISFPs might be less inclined to look at the deep symbolism behind it unless they have strongly developed Ni. They might be the ones more likely to appreciate it because it looks beautiful or appreciate it for the mastery in technique used to make it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most ISFPs I know enjoy art in some form. If its not visual art, then its something else like music or dance.

There are several ways to appreciate art. I think ISFPs might be less inclined to look at the deep symbolism behind it unless they have strongly developed Ni. They might be the ones more likely to appreciate it because it looks beautiful or appreciate it for the mastery in technique used to make it.

Most, but not all. If there are exceptions, then art is not a defining characteristic of the type. Nature boy/girl seems closer to a validly defining trait. Like the Double Rainbow Guy.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do think art is a defining trait, just that some ISFPs might not categorize cosmetics, hair styling, fashion, music, acting, dancing, cake decorating, cooking, or whatever as "art appreciation."

Double Rainbow guy is an ENFP, dude.

gromit

likes this
He is totally appreciating that art.

couch-potato-kid.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do think art is a defining trait, just that some ISFPs might not categorize cosmetics, hair styling, fashion, music, acting, dancing, cake decorating, cooking, or whatever as "art appreciation."

Double Rainbow guy is an ENFP, dude.

Could be, but I'm thinking about this quote from PersonalityPage.Com:

"ISFPs have a strong affinity for aesthetics and beauty. They're likely to be animal lovers, and to have a true appreciation for the beauties of nature. "

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Could be, but I'm thinking about this quote from PersonalityPage.Com:

"ISFPs have a strong affinity for aesthetics and beauty. They're likely to be animal lovers, and to have a true appreciation for the beauties of nature. "

Yep that totally makes sense, it's just that Fi/Se (or Se/Fi) tends to appreciate aesthetics in general or at least sensory impact, so I'm pretty sure with many ISFPs that goes beyond nature.

I like this ISFP description, which is a mix of Keirsey with input from several other sources, and it pretty much makes ISFP sound like what one would call "the artistic temperament" in an old fashioned sense of the word i.e. a very emotional, passionate, sometimes too impulsive or reactive person who is strongly aware of their senses. The Exuberant Personality. I very much relate to this description, more than any I've ever read.

On the other hand, I'm sure many t.v. watching couch potatoes are ISFPs too, and since there are SO MANY ISFPs, obviously they're going to have different levels of intelligence and education.

I like the nature child thing, though, don't get me wrong. It's one of the primary things I like/resonate with about non-cognitive ISFP descriptions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, but being a fat couch potato doesn't necessarily equate to ISFP. :D

Agreed. That kid could be a lazy ISFJ who is comfortable in his routine, or an INxx who is addicted to anime cartoons.