IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default ISFP is not an art appreciator

from http://sn.im/281bwq
    ISFP

• Among the highest persisters in college.

Ok.

• In national sample “Leisure Activities,” overrepresented in “Watching TV 3 or more hours per day” and “Watching TV for leisure”

Yep.

• Underrepresented in “Reading,” “Working out/exercising,” “Writing,” “Appreciating art,” and “Taking classes, going to school.”

Sure.

SCREEEEEEECHHHHHHHH...

Wait a minute! If this is called the SP Arthouse for a good reason, then why is the ISFP underrepresented in "appreciating art"?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have a feeling that may mean fine art, like the very conceptual/abstract stuff.

My ISFP step-dad doesn't have a lot of interest in fine art. However, he is a cartoonist and enjoys cartoons & illustration a lot (which is often unfairly NOT categorized as a fine art). I don't think it's that he couldn't appreciate fine art, it's just that he doesn't pursue it. He doesn't go to art museums or create it himself.

The thing about the survey is we don't know how they phrased questions. I mean, if you were to ask many of the ISFPs I know if they like "art", they would say yes, and many would be including such things as cartoons in that definition. If you were to ask them if they knew much about fine art, they would probably say no.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

...aren't a lot of visual artists SFPs?

I don't think all ISFPs like cartoons and comic books. There are people like Sophia Coppola and Salvidor Dali.

I find it very strange that ISFPs would be underrepresented in reading, writing, art, and exercise. Even Keirsey stereotypes ISFPs as being either artists or great novelists. Se also tends to be associated with either the arts or sports or athleticism.

I think something is rotten in Denmark. I've seen stats that say ISFPs are prone to dropping out of college, and this says they're one of the highest persisters.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If I were to go by statistics alone on this page I would presume I were an INFP.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    If I were to go by statistics alone on this page I would presume I were an INFP.
    A lot of ISFPs probably mistype as INFP for this reason. I can imagine many ISFP e4s, for example, mistyping as INFP & not identifying with this list either.

I also wasn't implying all ISFPs only like cartoons. I just mean to illustrate that some may like art in less formal terms, and if the questions asked were not worded to include these, then the results may misrepresent their interests.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    ...aren't a lot of visual artists SFPs?

I don't think all ISFPs like cartoons and comic books. There are people like Sophia Coppola and Salvidor Dali.

I find it very strange that ISFPs would be underrepresented in reading, writing, art, and exercise. Even Keirsey stereotypes ISFPs as being either artists or great novelists. Se also tends to be associated with either the arts or sports or athleticism.

I think something is rotten in Denmark. I've seen stats that say ISFPs are prone to dropping out of college, and this says they're one of the highest persisters.
    That page says both, in a way. The ISFP is a persister who is underrepresented in taking classes. Apparently, once they decide to attend school they stick with it.

(Edited)
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    A lot of ISFPs probably mistype as INFP for this reason. I can imagine many ISFP e4s, for example, mistyping as INFP & not identifying with this list either.

I also wasn't implying all ISFPs only like cartoons. I just mean to illustrate that some may like art in less formal terms, and if the questions asked were not worded to include these, then the results may misrepresent their interests.
    I can see what you're saying, as many people in the general population probably prefer popular art of some kind rather than fine art, unless they happen to have a specific interest in that. There are also quite a lot of sensing feeling types, aren't there? So everyone gets all lumped in together, while there are less N types.

I thought it was weird that ISFJs were likely to be heroin addicts, if they chose to do hard drugs.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I was good at writing in high school, even today I write sometimes, although i have to admit that laziness stops me often. I also wouldn't say that i'm not art appreciator, i go to art exhibitions, visiting theaters... True, i maybe prefer underground art, or more unconventional artists than those who are mainstream, i appreciate experimental art also.

I'm not out of school either, just one year more and i will finish college. Let me be honest, i'm not some great student, but i'm not bad. I promised to myself that i will finish this. I'm having hard time with studying but i don't think i'm stupid because i deal better with practice than with theory and i often delay my obligation, waiting for last moment to finish task... but, i always do it somehow at the end.... My hobbies are helping me a lot because doing things i like makes me happy and optimistic about everything, even about studying.

Well, i'm quite new in this, but if tests are right and i'm really ISFP, then i can't confirm that we aren't interested in art or that we don't study at all. But, in my case i can say that i'm more familiar with unconventional forms of art and education that with regular one. I like to see new, uncommon, interesting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

of the 3 isfp's i know best, one went to art school as a furniture major for one year and dropped out, one is taking painting and ceramics classes for fun, and the other isn't into art but is very into clothes, makeup, etc.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Maybe they naturally appreciate art so well they have no need for piffling classes on the subject...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte