123 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Are ISFPs more N-ish than INFPs?

this is just speculation, but the more I look at them, the more ISFPs look like Ns and INFPs sometimes look more S
    the vibes I get from generally go something like this

INFP
    - I want to help people
    - I want to make the world a better place
    - why don't people help each other more?
    - I do what I think is right, but I would prefer it if we all just got along
    general theme: people

ISFP
    - I am independent, I march to the beat of my own drum
    - do your thing, fuck the haters, they don't matter (albeit, they don't explicitly say this, it's very subtly implied, but definitely there)
    - I do what I think is right, if that makes me a rebel, so be it. conformists irritate me
    general theme: independence

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson). with ISFPs, it's almost the first vibe I get from them

general trend: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd because they are highly introspective. INFPs can sometimes seem like Sensors because they tend to be service oriented and cooperative
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is one of the things I noticed when I was reading Keirsey is that I related more to the SFP independence than the NFP human resources/social work...god I mean really??...but I really don't think that being fiercely independent is an "N" thing and no it doesn't make sense to say ISFPs are more N than INFPs.

Being independent or different doesn't really have anything to do with being an N. That's one of the wonderful misconceptions of the Internet, and why soooo many Sensors are mistyped as Intuitives because they've been told that N = SMRT and UNIQUE.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

lol what? no. and according to your lists i'm an isfp (i'm not).

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    this is just speculation, but the more I look at them, the more ISFPs look like Ns and INFPs sometimes look more S

INFP
    - I want to help people

ISFP
    - do your thing, fuck the haters, they don't matter (albeit, they don't explicitly say this, it's very subtly implied, but definitely there)
    - I do what I think is right, if that makes me a rebel, so be it. conformists irritate me

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson)

conclusion: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd
    I don't know if they are more "N", however, ISFP's have struck me as the "N"est S's- sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between the two. ISFP's have that daydreamy quality to them.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

No, I don't think the "independence" thing has anything at all to do with being N.

I thought at first that this thread said something like "are ISFPs the most N of the SPs," which I might well have agreed with.

The whole N/S thing can be so nebulous and very hard to pick up on in another person, particularly if you don't know them well.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

INFP
    - I want to help people

ISFP

I'm not saying that INFPs are not independent (they're usually very independent) but ISFPs seem like they're more adamant about their independence most of the time. INFPs to me seem more cooperative and communal; ISFPs are lone wolves most of the time (even ISFPs who are Social subtype like Michael Jackson)

conclusion: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd

The difference you describe appears to be a cooperative vs. pragmatic thing rather than a S vs. N thing. Kiersey describes NFs and SJs as cooperative and SPs and NTs as pragmatic.

I have seen ISFPs care alot about other people and wanting others to get along as well as INFPs who stick to their values regardless of what others think. So this cooperative/pragmatic difference isn't everything.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Only my opinion of course and there's a whole spectrum within type..... but one thing I have noticed with INFP's I know irl is that they seem to be more particular, and prone to routine than ISFP's - i.e. liking to go and do the same things without tiring of it, and liking things done in certain ways, even if they don't verbalize that preference. It's like, you know that preference is there. So in that sense ISFP's I think come across more laid back and in some ways, more experimental/open/flexible to change in their lives.

I always attributed this to Si in INFP's which results in preference for familiarity and in some cases resistance to newness, vs. Se in ISFP's. This isn't to say some of that in INFP's isn't counterbalanced by Ne, but it's just a peculiar thing I've noticed about INFP's - not obvious, as on the surface they seem very laidback - but rather, when you get to know them more, it seems they are very rigid and, well, particular in certain details and things. Also seem to not need the 'newness' of experience nearly as much as ISFP's; so externally INFP's can seem more routine. Routine in action; I'm not speaking of internal world/thought.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I don't know if those are really S/N things you've listed. How is independence a more intuitive thing?

However, generally types that lead with T or F, will have closer S and N. And vice versa. Like, ESxJ's for example that lead via Te or Fe, usually demonstrate pretty equally in Si and Ne.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Only my opinion of course and there's a whole spectrum within type..... but one thing I have noticed with INFP's I know irl is that they seem to be more particular, and prone to routine than ISFP's - i.e. liking to go and do the same things without tiring of it, and liking things done in certain ways, even if they don't verbalize that preference. It's like, you know that preference is there. So in that sense ISFP's I think come across more laid back and in some ways, more experimental/open/flexible to change in their lives.

I always attributed this to Si in INFP's which results in preference for familiarity and in some cases resistance to newness, vs. Se in ISFP's. This isn't to say some of that in INFP's isn't counterbalanced by Ne, but it's just a peculiar thing I've noticed about INFP's - not obvious, as on the surface they seem very laidback - but rather, when you get to know them more, it seems they are very rigid and, well, particular in certain details and things. Also seem to not need the 'newness' of experience nearly as much as ISFP's; so externally INFP's can seem more routine. Routine in action; I'm not speaking of internal world/thought.
    Agreed! Having dated an INFP for many years, this is one of the traits that used to piss me and my Se off at times.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    The difference you describe appears to be a cooperative vs. pragmatic thing rather than a S vs. N thing. Kiersey describes NFs and SJs as cooperative and SPs and NTs as pragmatic.

I have seen ISFPs care alot about other people and wanting others to get along as well as INFPs who stick to their values regardless of what others think. So this cooperative/pragmatic difference isn't everything.
    I think this is it. pragmatic comes across as more N to me even though it's not and S comes across as more cooperative (ESPs at least come across as cooperative, ISPs don't)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire