User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 55

  1. #31
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    lololololololololololol

    If this is true then I guess I better start creating some threads asking for lots of external guidance on what type I am.
    that's not quite the same thing. I'm talking about an emotional attachment to what people think. it's like the difference between

    "I hope he likes me" vs
    "I don't care if he likes me or not, but I want to know if he likes me"

    it's caring about knowing what people think rather than the actual opinion itself.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  2. #32
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    general trend: ISFPs seem adamant about most of the things that Ns are all about like independent thinking and not following the herd because they are highly introspective. INFPs can sometimes seem like Sensors because they tend to be service oriented and cooperative
    Well there's your problem. You have a piss-poor idea of what N is and what S is. Doesn't that seem more plausible than "ISFPs are more N than an N"?

    It is true that ISFPs will usually show more Ni than INFPs, and INFPs will usually show more Si than ISFPs. But N is not solely Ni, and S is not solely Si.
    -end of thread-

  3. #33
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that's not quite the same thing. I'm talking about an emotional attachment to what people think. it's like the difference between

    "I hope he likes me" vs
    "I don't care if he likes me or not, but I want to know if he likes me"

    it's caring about knowing what people think rather than the actual opinion itself.
    Ehl oh ehl. I care about what very few people think of me. The few that I do care about, I care about a great deal... but it still doesn't replace how I think and feel about myself. If a close family member or friend says, "dude, wtf are you doing here in this situation?" I will take their observation under consideration and check it over to see if there is something I need to address. If I don't see a reason to modify my behavior, then I don't. But if I see, oh duh! I have been so blind to this side of myself, I need to up my A game, etc... then I will take it seriously and work at being better at it.

    And with your example... how does that even apply? If someone is interested in someone else they usually are hoping that the person reciprocates regardless of personality type, it's human nature.

  4. #34
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Well there's your problem. You have a piss-poor idea of what N is and what S is. Doesn't that seem more plausible than "ISFPs are more N than an N"?

    It is true that ISFPs will usually show more Ni than INFPs, and INFPs will usually show more Si than ISFPs. But N is not solely Ni, and S is not solely Si.
    I think you got that impression because I worded the thread title terribly (which is my fault)
    I was going to name it "Do ISFPs exhibit more directly observable N characteristics and seem more outwardly N than INFPs" but I got lazy and made the thread title was is now.
    my thoughts currently are that the Tertiary Function is probably used more deliberately and doesn't have the subtle, natural quality of the Auxilary and Dominant functions which can manifest in more subtle, less obviously apparent ways. of course, this is just a theory
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  5. #35
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I think you got that impression because I worded the thread title terribly (which is my fault)
    I was going to name it "Do ISFPs exhibit more directly observable N characteristics and seem more outwardly N than INFPs" but I got lazy and made the thread title was is now.
    my thoughts currently are that the Tertiary Function is probably used more deliberately and doesn't have the subtle, natural quality of the Auxilary and Dominant functions which can manifest in more subtle, less obviously apparent ways. of course, this is just a theory
    My main point was that you are expressing ideas about what "directly observable N characteristics" are that are well, wrong. Pretty much none of the things you mentioned in your OP are S or N traits.
    -end of thread-

  6. #36
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Ehl oh ehl. I care about what very few people think of me. The few that I do care about, I care about a great deal... but it still doesn't replace how I think and feel about myself. If a close family member or friend says, "dude, wtf are you doing here in this situation?" I will take their observation under consideration and check it over to see if there is something I need to address. If I don't see a reason to modify my behavior, then I don't. But if I see, oh duh! I have been so blind to this side of myself, I need to up my A game, etc... then I will take it seriously and work at being better at it.

    And with your example... how does that even apply? If someone is interested in someone else they usually are hoping that the person reciprocates regardless of personality type, it's human nature.
    actually that's sort of what I was trying to get at. my theory is that INFPs desire opinions from less people but take them more seriously while ENFPs desire to get opinions from several people but view it more impersonally. in a sense, ENFPs view the opinions like subjective data and aren't particularly attached to the opinions one way or the other, they just want to see what other people think and why they think that way. at the route of it, the desire is purely to see if anyone can provide them with more useful information. INFPs seem to want more "guidance" than data points. of course, like I said, this is just a theory
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  7. #37
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My main point was that you are expressing ideas about what "directly observable N characteristics" are that are well, wrong. Pretty much none of the things you mentioned in your OP are S or N traits.
    I didn't specify that correctly either (sorry, my Ti sucks. I really need to work on it lol)
    I was stating traits that show correlations with S/N more than traits directly related to S/N.
    for example, a much lower percentage of Intuitive types "follow the herd" if you will. that's not saying that Sensors are herd animals that run off the cliff together, but what it is saying is that Intuitive types are more introspective (this trait however is a direct result of Intuition, though it can also come from Ti or Fi). introspective people are more likely to come to their own decisions and thus follow the crowd much less of the time.
    Sensors on the other hand, aren't necessarily blind followers, but they are more likely to think "no need to reinvent the wheel" so to speak. thus, it might seem more logical to follow the decisions of the group in less important situations as long as it works.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  8. #38
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I didn't specify that correctly either (sorry, my Ti sucks. I really need to work on it lol)
    I was stating traits that show correlations with S/N more than traits directly related to S/N.
    for example, a much lower percentage of Intuitive types "follow the herd" if you will. that's not saying that Sensors are herd animals that run off the cliff together, but what it is saying is that Intuitive types are more introspective (this trait however is a direct result of Intuition, though it can also come from Ti or Fi). introspective people are more likely to come to their own decisions and thus follow the crowd much less of the time.
    Sensors on the other hand, aren't necessarily blind followers, but they are more likely to think "no need to reinvent the wheel" so to speak. thus, it might seem more logical to follow the decisions of the group in less important situations as long as it works.
    .....

    I understand what you're saying, but it's still not true....
    -end of thread-

  9. #39
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Ni seems more "N" than Ne does - to me, at least. Ni digs in deep to extract the entire meaning, whereas Ne seems to bounce around and skim the surface. ISFP has Ni, INFP has Ne.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  10. #40
    Tier 1 Member LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    ^ I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier. There is still sometimes the mistake of looking out for something more Ni-ish when looking for an N preference. What they are really looking for is any introverted function, not iNtuition. And then with ISFPs having Ni as tertiary, there is sometimes the mistake of "Ohh wow look at this person's really deep, mysterious side. They must be very intuitive!" Whereas the same untrained eye might not pick up on the N preference of the ENxP saying things like "ooh! look how awesome....let's see what happens if I do this!" Ne is about breadth and externally dependent by definition, and sometimes those things are mistakenly assoicated with Sensing. Someone with this bias might ironically mistake an INFP on the mode of sillybounciness and looking for adventures with other people an an SP. So ya...

    N =/= depth
    N =/= independence
    S =/= ditsy and superficial
    S =/= adventures and "sensation seeking"

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-30-2015, 12:18 AM
  2. [NF] Are INFJs more idealistic than INFPs?
    By RandomINTP in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Are NTJs more like NFPs than NTPs?
    By Elfboy in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
  4. [E8] Are Js more "8" than Ps?
    By yenom in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 11:55 PM
  5. are you more or less logical than you think?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO