• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] 10 Signs that you are an ISTP

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like ISTP's :happy: You guys are like a better prepared, more quiet and more handyman-like version of us ESTP's :D My girlfriend is hard to type because she has a serious balance between feeling and thinking, but I think she leans more towards being ISTP'ish most of the time. She's AWESOME :happy:
When her computer keyboard broke down, the only button still working was "L", she opened it up and fixed the damn thing o.o How many people usually do that?! :shock:
Aside from the fact that she can wrestle me down. (i'm about exactly twice her size) :shock: Little McGuyver chick. And cute. :D

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I like ISTP's :happy: You guys are like a better prepared, more quiet and more handyman-like version of us ESTP's :D My girlfriend is hard to type because she has a serious balance between feeling and thinking, but I think she leans more towards being ISTP'ish most of the time. She's AWESOME :happy:
When her computer keyboard broke down, the only button still working was "L", she opened it up and fixed the damn thing o.o How many people usually do that?! :shock:
Aside from the fact that she can wrestle me down. (i'm about exactly twice her size) :shock: Little McGuyver chick. And cute. :D

The feeling's mutual. :cheers:

Your girlfriend sounds awesome. The fact that she fixed her keyboard is quite impressive. My lazy ass probably would've just bought a new one.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think so. The bold words in your post seem indicative of an artisan.

How abstract are the subjects she studies/reads about?
I'd say she reads almost evenly from abstract/concrete and with practical application and no such application, but talks almost only about the practical. It's not common-sense folk-logic practical tho, it's more like information learned through studying or reading.

She don't have a mission against the "abstract" as some people do, tho, instead she seems to have an appreciation of it, especially if it triggers her imagination.

She's much more action orientated (concrete) than philosophical, and according to personalDna test we took, a bit more imaginative and less practical than me, tho she's practical allright.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I'd say she reads almost evenly from abstract/concrete and with practical application and no such application, but talks almost only about the practical. It's not common-sense folk-logic practical tho, it's more like information learned through studying or reading.

She don't have a mission against the "abstract" as some people do, tho, instead she seems to have an appreciation of it, especially if it triggers her imagination.

She's much more action orientated (concrete) than philosophical.

There's a good chance she might be an ISTP then. Although they bore me to death I have nothing against abstract subjects. Besides without those abstract thinkers many scientific advances might never have been.

One more question. How controlling is she?

ISTPs are VERY assertive but most couldn't care less about controlling other people provided those people don't try to control the ISTP.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
There's a good chance she might be an ISTP then.

One more question. How controlling is she?

ISTPs are VERY assertive but most couldn't care less about controlling other people provided those people don't try to control the ISTP.
Okay, then :)

Extremely anti-controlling. As far as she's concerned, anyone may do anything they damn well please, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. She's rather unhappy about other people's disruptive behavior though, but she doesn't expect much of others. Edit: and yeah, she doesn't care much about what others think of her, and speaks without hesitation when she feels like it. So it isn't just about being humble and submissive.

Edit 2: and as she's very independent and autonomous, she thinks that most stuff that people do doesn't concern anyone else.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Okay, then :)

Extremely anti-controlling. As far as she's concerned, anyone may do anything they damn well please, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. She's rather unhappy about other people's disruptive behavior though, but she doesn't expect much of others. Edit: and yeah, she doesn't care much about what others think of her, and speaks without hesitation when she feels like it. So it isn't just about being humble and submissive.

That's becuase the disruptive behavior is encroaching on her personal space.

My vote is for ISTP. Although I could be wrong.

:Cheers:

istpunk

MBTI Type
istp
this is an awesome list.

also, justdave. get off the internets, go out and do some damage! i noticed you posted in your own thread a dozen times.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
this is an awesome list.

also, justdave. get off the internets, go out and do some damage! i noticed you posted in your own thread a dozen times.

What can I say? I'm a builder and a breaker.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius has a sign of ISTPness to add to JustDave's list:

You relate to Meursault in Camus' The Stranger.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Falcarius has a sign of ISTPness to add to JustDave's list:

You relate to Meursault in Camus' The Stranger.

Done.

FWIW, realizing that the world isn't fair is what made me the man I am today.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I purposely chose not to respond to the inquiry since it would only be a repeat of what others such as Random have said. BTW I can see myself in only 45% of the bullets, which is why I would like to offer my thoughts. In their booklet “The 16 Personality Types: Descriptions for Self-Discovery”, Dr. Linda v. Berens and Dario Nardi said that there is a logic behind the names given in their system. The first word in the name is the inside view, how we often see ourselves and what others don’t see. The second word in the name is the outside view, how others see us and what we may not see in ourselves. Thus as an Analyzer Operator, I see the Analyzer (one who examines methodically by separating into parts and studying their interrelations) in myself, however I am oblivious to the Operator (one who operates a machine, apparatus, or the like). As such others may see us highly capable of operating tools but we do not see it in ourselves, resulting in non-relation to that aspect of who we are.

This is most likely the case of all introverted types resulting in INTPs seeing the Designer but not the Theorizer, INFJs seeing the Forseer, but not the Developer and so on. I do question and have raised this inquiry of enthusiasts of the system, as to whether extraverts would actually relate to the second word, but not the first since they have a more vested interest in the external world. Ergo ESTPs could see themselves as Expeditors, but fail to see the Promoter, ENTPs notice the Inventor, but not the Explorer, ENFPs see the Advocate, but not the Discoverer and so on.

Back on topic, I have battled with Isabel Briggs Myers and Peter Myers description in “Gifts Differing”. In the second paragraph of the Introverted Thinking Supported by Sensing type, they comment, “With non-technical interests the ISTP can use general principles to bring order out of confused data and meaning out of unorganized facts. The capacity of sensing to absorb fact and detail can be very useful to ISTPs who work in the field of economics, as securities analysts or as market and sales anaylyts dealing with statistics in any field.” This seems perplexing since the examples that she provides seem to also deal with technical information as well. Keirsey makes the distinction that NTs are technically oriented, whereas SPs are technique oriented, which derive from the same root word “tech”. Did she inadvertently misuse the word technical and may have meant to say “non-mechanical” interests? There is very little information on her distinction, but it would seem that the ISTPs found on the forums relate to the non-technical and appear more INT-like.

HanoverFist

MBTI Type
istp
^
^^
^^^
^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^^^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

What a perfectly good way to ruin a topic, with serious, educated, introspective crap

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah...please don't shun this post

how do you guys act when you like someone or dislike them? what are signs to look for...since usually, you send a lot of mixed signals! lol it'd be nice to be able to discern what ISTPs do when they're attracted to someone and also how they liked to be approached and what they're attracted to in a person of "the opposite sex," unless you're gay of course.

HanoverFist

MBTI Type
istp
when I like someone I talk to them. When I don't like someone I don't talk to them. Even if they work right next to me. I've been called an Asshole for some reason. Not sure why. LOL

I'm not allowed to be attracted to someone, so I can't speak on that. My wife would kick my ass.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well that's good to know, glad your wife keeps you in check like that! she sounds like she rules.

i guess what i'm trying to decipher is how to tell when an ISTP likes you as more than a friend. I talk to this guy online, who i think is ISTP, on almost a daily basis while we're both at work. we don't really hang out or talk much outside of work, though we have hung out and text each other back and forth, though i've initiated conversation for the most part. it's been going on for a good while.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol wow, i just realized i'm the "feeling type" you're talking about on your signature trying to make conversation!

HanoverFist

MBTI Type
istp
Well If he's willing to waste his time talking and texting you then he probably likes you. I can't speak for other ISTP's, but I'm not really much on relating to other people, unless I'm gonna try to get something out of the deal.

My wife "Lookin4theBestNU" says I should change "waste his time" to "invest his time". I'm not sure why though.