• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Unlocking Your Inner Artist

T

ThatGirl

I know, I know, artisans arent all artistic, but I thought I would post this here. How does one become artistic?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Okay here's what you do. Cross yourself, honk your nips three times, and spin around counterclockwise. Should do the trick.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Draw, bitch.:smile:

Last edited:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here's the quickest way:

1 Notice yourself thinking something. Either something you feel or something relating to a personal belief or something you actually think is true (i.e. that what you're thinking is the correct thing to think-- this should be a resonant concept for 'rationals').

2 Examine why you think this. Illustrate the process of examination, the process of learning why you think certain things. Illustrate why you think this is a correct or reasonable or understandable thing to think (OR feel, if you perceive your inner functioning as being "feeling"). Or...

3 Dive into how what you're thinking is not necessarily the most 100% correct thing to think. Examine how you might be wrong. how what you're thinking is merely the expression of innumerable complicated mental-chemical functionings inside of you-- i.e. things that have HAPPENED to you, details that make up your perceptual world-- that what you're thinking is something you're thinking not necessarily because it's obviously true, but because you have PARTICULAR REASONS to think it-- i.e, you WANTED or HAD to think this. Namely, things that have happened to you. Things that demand a reaction.

4 Think of a way you might communicate this knowledge to others. i.e, maybe they've had similar things happen to them, & would know what the fuck you're on about if you dared go into it. Don't worry about whether what you're doing is right or wrong. Understand that things happen, & they happen for a reason, & no one can ever really completely know why things happen, or what they mean. But... the knowledge (or resemblance of knowledge) can't hurt you. Fearlessness (conceptual) is key.

rav3n

I'm not an artisan but for me, the only way to stimulate creativity is to do it, whether it's to draw, paint (rarely, too much mess to clean up, as well as not being good at it by anyone's standard's), write or take pictures.

My Se needs action to get it rolling.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

^^ by the way, that's actually the rigorous way of pursuing it. IE If you got arrested for your art, that's how you'd hav to explain yourself, to the police. In actuality, the best way is just to fuck shit up & run with the unending variety of life as barely mitigated chaos, because there's no way to fully control it.

If someone says the art you just made was a worthless piece of shit, what do you care? Regardless of whther it fucks up or not it was still most likely a valyable use of your time, especially as compared to other things you could be doing like freebase cocaine & bureaucratic taxwork & etc.

Why do you care? Because you spent time on it. But caring about it AND spending time on it will just make it more enjoyable, as well as incrementally make you better ait. Do you know how many pieces of artwork have been made before? Probably, millions. Over millions of pieces of art. So.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LoL, I was just being a little smartass, and it wasn't aimed at you personally.... forgive me just this once. hehe. I don't necessarily consider myself artistic, but.....I can explain what I do from an artisan perspective.
Actually, I use a combination of resources and practicing it.... I go by guides to learn the basics. I am learning inkscape right now, and I bought a prentice hall book. I love thoroughly-written, practical guides. After I go through 8 million tutorials, I can generally use the tools easily, and have application of them. Then comes the real creativity part.... when I have full use of the tools, creativity is easy. When drawing a penguin, for instance, I gather pictures of penguins, and knowledge of penguins, and decide from looking at styles how I want my penguin to look, and then use my tools and knowledge to draw him. Of course, I try to give him his own character....

I focus on acquiring full use of the tools, and gaining all of the knowledge I can consume about inkscape and creating art in inkscape.

It can get much more complex, of course, but there is a simple description.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just do it. (ermmm now this saying reminds me of IZthe411's avatar.)

Draw, write, listen to/create music, go out, do something, anything.

Creativity (and being artistic) is as big or as small as you make it to be.

T

ThatGirl

The problem is I just don't see it. I look at clothes, and I think they are ugly. I see it worn by someone, and I think it works. I see furniture, and I think it is ugly. Walk into someone's living room, and think it looks great. Nothing I draw looks even remotely like the idea I had in my mind. I can dream (literally in my dreams) symphonies but am completely tone deaf and cant play an instrument. I cant sing. If I write, I feel absolutely silly putting my thoughts into words.

It seems like whatever is in my mind never translates well into an art. When I was younger I used to dance, and was very good at ballet. I would start dancing and my mind would go completely blank, I could feel a rush of intense emotion with every move, until the music stopped and I was left with that lingering feeling that comes after watching a good movie, reading a good book, or listening to a specific piece of music. But, I am chubs now although even when I was skinny, my body isn't trained (which takes years) to move like it used to, and I get frustrated by limitation.

As far as arts go, I can recognize what is well done, but can't create anything. Photography could be cool, but I don't feel that would break through the creative block I have. I think I could be a lot less....feral....if I developed an art as an outlet. Maybe gain some fluidity of personality.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I know, I know, artisans arent all artistic, but I thought I would post this here. How does one become artistic?

Pick up an instrument!, I love my guitar and drum set and sometimes I'll come up with my own songs(which need some recording).

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The problem is I just don't see it. I look at clothes, and I think they are ugly. I see it worn by someone, and I think it works. I see furniture, and I think it is ugly. Walk into someone's living room, and think it looks great. Nothing I draw looks even remotely like the idea I had in my mind. I can dream (literally in my dreams) symphonies but am completely tone deaf and cant play an instrument. I cant sing. If I write, I feel absolutely silly putting my thoughts into words.

It seems like whatever is in my mind never translates well into an art. When I was younger I used to dance, and was very good at ballet. I would start dancing and my mind would go completely blank, I could feel a rush of intense emotion with every move, until the music stopped and I was left with that lingering feeling that comes after watching a good movie, reading a good book, or listening to a specific piece of music. But, I am chubs now although even when I was skinny, my body isn't trained (which takes years) to move like it used to, and I get frustrated by limitation.

As far as arts go, I can recognize what is well done, but can't create anything. Photography could be cool, but I don't feel that would break through the creative block I have. I think I could be a lot less....feral....if I developed an art as an outlet. Maybe gain some fluidity of personality.

I also get very frustrated by not being able to create something I want to create, and that drives me to read and practice, until I can. If I am not proud of my creation, I see no point in doing it.

I chose art forms based on my end goal.... which is to write games. I also enjoy makeup as an art form..... and I approached it in much the same way. It took a little while to enjoy it, but now I do. I think investing the time is difficult, but the rewards can be wonderful. I think if you spend some time doing the not-so-fun stuff (reading, practicing), it will pay off...... at least it has for me.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5

In all seriousness, with drawing at least, it sounds like your problem is control. A lot of beginners have specific images in mind that they want to create, and when their hands aren't trained enough to translate that to the paper, they feel like they have no control and give up. The solution to this - and this may sound fucking corny, but it's true - is to stop thinking of control. Simply draw for the sake of moving a pencil (or charcoal, or whatever) across a paper; learn to appreciate how objects really look and draw them intuitively and quickly without assessment or any focus on technique. A good book to work with on this is Nicolaides' "Drawing the Natural Way." He has beginners focus first and foremost NOT on technique, but rather on getting your mind right when you assess things visually (which is surprisingly a pretty counter-intuitive thing to do.)

You basically have to simplify things in your mind in order to gain the appropriate skill without getting frustrated (because, yeah, it's going to be frustrating if you keep judging your creations based on what you think they "should" look like.) Simply find pleasure in the act of drawing without judgment of the final result. Then you will gradually be able to "think" with your hand, and there won't be such a disconnect between the visions in your mind and your ability to produce them visually.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In all seriousness, with drawing at least, it sounds like your problem is control. A lot of beginners have specific images in mind that they want to create, and when their hands aren't trained enough to translate that to the paper, they feel like they have no control and give up. The solution to this - and this may sound fucking corny, but it's true - is to stop thinking of control. Simply draw for the sake of moving a pencil (or charcoal, or whatever) across a paper; learn to appreciate how objects really look and draw them intuitively and quickly without assessment or any focus on technique. A good book to work with on this is Nicolaides' "Drawing the Natural Way." He has beginners focus first and foremost NOT on technique, but rather on getting your mind right when you assess things visually (which is surprisingly a pretty counter-intuitive thing to do.)

You basically have to simplify things in your mind in order to gain the appropriate skill without getting frustrated (because, yeah, it's going to be frustrating if you keep judging your creations based on what you think they "should" look like.) Simply find pleasure in the act of drawing without judgment of the final result. Then you will gradually be able to "think" with your hand, and there won't be such a disconnect between the visions in your mind and your ability to produce them visually.

This.

Drawing is like every other "artistic" careers out there. It takes time, and for some, lots of time. It is probably why most tend to teach you first and foremost the images that are directly in front of you rather than the image that is in your mind.

Once you can draw consistently, drawing something that comes to mind is a bit easier. But you have to continually draw to get better. Don't worry about your mistakes and just continue drawing. If you are using graphite pencil, you can just erase your mistakes later (just make sure you don't draw hard.) Other than that, make lots of mistakes... it is good for people learning to draw.

The easiest example is figure drawing. Once you learn the body and continually draw a figure of someone... you begin noticing how to draw the parts without really needing an actual image and can rely on your mind instead. You start to notice what looks "right" and what looks "off."

Last edited:
T

ThatGirl

There is a small hole in the wall place that offers art classes. Looking through the window it looks like paintings and drawings. Now if I could just catch them while they are open....I may enroll.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

BTW I tried guitar. My hands are too small. Same for piano. I would either need to play trumpet or drums.

Jaguar

There is a small hole in the wall place that offers art classes. Looking through the window it looks like paintings and drawings. Now if I could just catch them while they are open....I may enroll.

BTW I tried guitar. My hands are too small. Same for piano. I would either need to play trumpet or drums.

Excuses. Excuses. Just do it. :moodeath:

T

ThatGirl

Lol! I intend to. The place may be out of business though. I'll look into other places as well. I wont commute though.

The hand thing is legit. Even stretching my fingers I couldn't hit all the keys. So...limitation.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Experiment!
Try painting. If it catches your interest, you'll find yourself doing it often and getting better at it. Before you know, you'll start buying and reading books about anatomy, just to improve. If painting isn't your thing, try playing an instrument, working with wood or clay, beads or wool. I discovered I hated beads and wool by experiment, and the same way I discovered I loved clay and paint.
Try to be creative at all times. Creativity improves with exercise. I've been inventing stories ever since I was bored at class. If I'm struck with a story, I'd take a pencil and sketch a character or a landscape. When even this doesn't catch my fancy, I'd go for a walk, or do something creative that's totally different. Write a romantic short story (my main genre is fantasy/science fiction). Draw a tree or a dragon. I almost never draw from life, even if I'm drawing an existing thing like a tree. I guess this comes from being a creative Ne user instead of a Se user (but I DO enjoy the touch of clay!) :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think in your case you need to embrace your feelings and right brain more, in general.

You should just take a day and do nothing but create by singing (alone if you don't want anyone to hear), drawing, coloring, cooking something fun, whatever.

No organizing or logic. Totally off limits. Stare at the sky and daydream.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
http://www.drawright.com/

Thinking that embracing your feelings will make you better at "art" is probably dumb. Structured practice will make you better, the only thing feelings do is give you motivation.