User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Not much of a difference. I've always been thought of as more male than some of my male co-workers. I've been described as tough and practical. I can look pretty hot in makeup and heels tho...Scares them mostly

In relationships, I'm softer than anyone would think and most people would be shocked at my behavior toward my SO. It's much different than how I interact with everyone else. They are privy to my softer side and it can be pretty mushy, not with words, but in a playful way.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I know an ISTP woman, I'm pretty sure, right now. I work with her. She reminds me a lot of me, but she's more thinker-ish and composed. She's studying philosophy at university, and she's struggling with it, because she's a self-described "very analytical" person who likes to "pick tiny things apart" (Ti much?) but that she's used to being "active" and it's hard for her to "sit still for philosophy." Like there's two sides of her, like the Se and Ti don't quite match up. Her end consensus? "I've been studying for my philosophy midterm, I need to get laid, I'm going on a date." LOL.

I'm also casually seeing an ISTP male, more like a FWB type thing, and he's younger than me. He also reminds me of me (derp) at least when I first met him about two years ago I thought he was actually an ISFP. He's a SLEEPING CHAMP. And he's in love with music and the Internet and is insanely private about all of the crazy shit he's doing and thinking. He's really paranoid about his friends and family knowing how wild he really is, or something. He's really adventurous, a great lay, and a good stabilizing influence for me when I'm upset, because he tries to reason me out of it. He doesn't handle intense feelings well, though, and I think my Fi surprised him the first time he saw it. People IRL who live around me every single day don't see what you guys see so openly on-line, people IRL are SURPRISED when they finally see me get intense about things. It can take six months, a year. Really. Or you have to have a very intimate relationship with me. But he can get intense too, I've seen him punch a wall once.

I think Thinker females in general are a lot more trained to be "feeler-ish" and traditionally female. I tend to think this about many, many thinker women, with rare exceptions.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The OP made me think that this was like a reverse type me thread... "well I have my type down, I just have to figure out my gender, can you guys help me out here with some descriptions?" lol
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I know an ISTP woman, I'm pretty sure, right now. I work with her. She reminds me a lot of me, but she's more thinker-ish and composed. She's studying philosophy at university, and she's struggling with it, because she's a self-described "very analytical" person who likes to "pick tiny things apart" (Ti much?) but that she's used to being "active" and it's hard for her to "sit still for philosophy." Like there's two sides of her, like the Se and Ti don't quite match up. Her end consensus? "I've been studying for my philosophy midterm, I need to get laid, I'm going on a date." LOL.

I'm also casually seeing an ISTP male, more like a FWB type thing, and he's younger than me. He also reminds me of me (derp) at least when I first met him about two years ago I thought he was actually an ISFP. He's a SLEEPING CHAMP. And he's in love with music and the Internet and is insanely private about all of the crazy shit he's doing and thinking. He's really paranoid about his friends and family knowing how wild he really is, or something. He's really adventurous, a great lay, and a good stabilizing influence for me when I'm upset, because he tries to reason me out of it. He doesn't handle intense feelings well, though, and I think my Fi surprised him the first time he saw it. People IRL who live around me every single day don't see what you guys see so openly on-line, people IRL are SURPRISED when they finally see me get intense about things. It can take six months, a year. Really. Or you have to have a very intimate relationship with me. But he can get intense too, I've seen him punch a wall once.

I think Thinker females in general are a lot more trained to be "feeler-ish" and traditionally female. I tend to think this about many, many thinker women, with rare exceptions.
    Yeah. Both sound pretty ISTP to me. My cousin (and one of my best friends) is an ISFP. We're similar in so many ways, but there's always been kind of a disconnect when we talk about in-depth things. The things we want to talk about deeply are just really different. I get a little uncomfortable when she talks about things that really cross her values and upsets her (Fi power!), and whenever I bitch about something (which is usually dumb and minor and I don't really care about) , for instance, some how she seems to translate it into Fi language and responds as such-- which again, is kind of bewildering to me. Fortunately we're both great listeners, so it really hasn't been an issue.

I do agree about the Thinker females being trained to be more "feeler-ish" though... to an extent. I feel expected to act that way, but I never really feel comfortable with it. Maybe it will change with age. But when I'm around a group of women that are primarily F's, sometimes I feel like an ogre (Lol.) when they talk about feeler type things and I either a) don't know how to respond or give input or b) feel like I'm put on the spot. And if I'm around a group of guys, and they make some asinine blanket statement about women, blah, blah, blah... it usually ends up with me punching them.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I agree with most of what is being said here. Of course the gender response was pretty great too: as in the picture. I relate to feeling out of place with emotional discussions. I also take a while to warm up to people: which means that I think I can trust them. I think I am very friendly. I do not share everything with everyone, so yes there are layers of trust. For a long time I didn't know that when people shared personal stories that I was supposed to share one of mine also. I definitely feel the pull of trying to fulfill stereotypical male tj roles. I can take stuff apart, and put it back together. I really don't like the "Mechanic" description. Not because of it's maleness, but because it puts a blue collar feel to a personality. I know there is nothing wrong with blue collar, it just feels like an insult to my intelligence, and to everyone else who might fit that label. Yes, it's true I like working with objects rather than people. Working with people is occasionally fun. However, that's me at work. Primarily I am an introvert. I do think we are shaped by society to an extent. I think that accounts for a lot of the difference in the male, and female, istps. Of course we all have varied upbringing, and that shapes us as well. I don't really think that the personality we started off with can survive life unchanged. My 2 cents.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mountainofdew View Post
    I agree with most of what is being said here. Of course the gender response was pretty great too: as in the picture. I relate to feeling out of place with emotional discussions. I also take a while to warm up to people: which means that I think I can trust them. I think I am very friendly. I do not share everything with everyone, so yes there are layers of trust. For a long time I didn't know that when people shared personal stories that I was supposed to share one of mine also. I definitely feel the pull of trying to fulfill stereotypical male tj roles. I can take stuff apart, and put it back together. I really don't like the "Mechanic" description. Not because of it's maleness, but because it puts a blue collar feel to a personality. I know there is nothing wrong with blue collar, it just feels like an insult to my intelligence, and to everyone else who might fit that label. Yes, it's true I like working with objects rather than people. Working with people is occasionally fun. However, that's me at work. Primarily I am an introvert. I do think we are shaped by society to an extent. I think that accounts for a lot of the difference in the male, and female, istps. Of course we all have varied upbringing, and that shapes us as well. I don't really think that the personality we started off with can survive life unchanged. My 2 cents.
    Keirsey calls ISTPs Crafters instead of Mechanics. But I know what you mean, this is where some of the lame stereotypes about sensors come from are these dumb names which lead people to think "aha! I read, I'm educated, I'm not working class I must be an iNtuitive." I remember posting about this a long time ago on this forum, observing that some people had almost made type a distinction between not only IQ but level of education or social class. 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Keirsey calls ISTPs Crafters instead of Mechanics. But I know what you mean, this is where some of the lame stereotypes about sensors come from are these dumb names which lead people to think "aha! I read, I'm educated, I'm not working class I must be an iNtuitive." I remember posting about this a long time ago on this forum, observing that some people had almost made type a distinction between not only IQ but level of education or social class. 0_o
    Yeah, I don't think many ISTPs would call themselves crafters or mechanics either, but some would have the tools or means to handle many things like it if it came up. Wouldn't mean they made a career out of it. Personally, I'd like to fix things well enough so I don't have to think about it. I don't want to think about working and being a "crafter" all the time. I'm happily lazy, unless a problem comes up. If I could build robots to automate my life, I would.

Not entirely related, but I think anything's possible as far as females go. If I could use a famous person to buck a stereotype, I'd choose Famke Janssen. I can't think of any other type for her but ISTP.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pTihqyG8PU].[/youtube]

She might have *some* masculine traits, but she's not "butch". There's another interview I ran into where she did talk about some pressures in being a female though. She mentioned divorce, but suddenly found herself happy to be independent. Funnily, she did mention some "crafter" stuff. Like she was glad to learn a lot of that and do things herself, without depending on some man around. There might be a lot of females in similar situations. My mom is an ST, but she's always been this way herself. She couldn't depend on my dad. He's actually the clumsy one.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah, I don't think many ISTPs would call themselves crafters or mechanics either, but some would have the tools or means to handle many things like it if it came up. Wouldn't mean they made a career out of it. Personally, I'd like to fix things well enough so I don't have to think about it. I don't want to think about working and being a "crafter" all the time. I'm happily lazy, unless a problem comes up. If I could build robots to automate my life, I would.
    Yesss. When people hear "fix things" they think of mundane, everyday things. To be honest, I'm probably pretty average at fixing actual objects just because I'm always around someone better at it than me. Growing up, I had a handy INTX dad, and I've had two long term NTP boyfriends that are actually pretty handy (the only boyfriend I was more handy than was an ESTJ believe it or not ). But as a programmer, I'm a good troubleshooter. I like to fix things, and I like to make things work better. When I was a majoring in math in school, I kind of viewed solving problems in a ISTP putting together/taking apart sort of way. I might not have cared too much about the really deep theories, but I enjoyed understanding how it all fit together and taking problems apart and putting them together again. I would work backwards and forwards a lot, until I understood how it worked.

On a sort of unrelated note, I probably figured out I was an ISTP as opposed to INTP so quickly when I picked up Meyer's Briggs because of the INTP I dated in college. When we worked on math or physics stuff together, our approach was pretty night and day. We both liked the subject, but for really different reasons. And we focused on really different parts.

To make this more relevant to the OP, I would guess that it's less common for female ISTPs to be handy than males, but I really think it just comes to how they were raised and the environment they were in. If you felt more pressure to be feminine, you'd probably be more feminine. If you felt more pressure to be masculine, you'd probably be more masculine. Really, I'd guess a good 90% of male/female differences is due to that.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post

On a sort of unrelated note, I probably figured out I was an ISTP as opposed to INTP so quickly when I picked up Meyer's Briggs because of the INTP I dated in college. When we worked on math or physics stuff together, our approach was pretty night and day. We both liked the subject, but for really different reasons. And we focused on really different parts.
    I'm noticing more and more differences now between ISTPs and INTPs myself. I notice INTPS appear more "goofy" and less grounded. I work with one and he seems to over think simple facts while I'll just brush off simple facts and not over think them. When it comes to dealing with "in the moment" opportunities and decision making they aren't so keen on using the objects/variables that are thrown right in front of them. They are rather fixated on their original plan/idea.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I'm noticing more and more differences now between ISTPs and INTPs myself. I notice INTPS appear more "goofy" and less grounded. I work with one and he seems to over think simple facts while I'll just brush off simple facts and not over think them. When it comes to dealing with "in the moment" opportunities and decision making they aren't so keen on using the objects/variables that are thrown right in front of them. They are rather fixated on their original plan/idea.
    I'm just throwing this out there, but I think it may because they trust their Ti more than us. We may be heavily dependent on Ti too, but Se allows us to "chart the course" and adapt