User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: ESTPs are actually rare?

Away with the fairies Array Southern Kross's Avatar
    4w5 so/sp

I'm surprised at that statistic. Maybe it just seems like there's more ESTPs because the have more of a presence and impact, while all the INFPs are busy hiding in the library.

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Most statistics put ISTP males at about 9%, and I've seen ESTP males at anywhere from 6-12% (which shows just how shaky these numbers are). Considering there are 16 types, anything over 5% is not all that rare.

What makes the total of STPs surprisingly "low" is that few women are STP; female ISTPs are only at about 3%. It seems the NFP statistics have less of a gap between male & female numbers, which makes the total average of NFPs similar to the total of STPs (depending on your stats; some show STPs double the number of NFPs), but the number of NFP males are much lower than the number of STP males. I think this is what affects perspective. STP seems quite common for male personalities, but NFP is not all that common for men. When it comes to women, STPs are somewhat unusual, but not much more than INFP women (ENFPs seem the most common, often about 8% or so). So the way the types are distributed amongst gender affects how they appear amongst the population, IMO. STP will seem very typical for men (over 5% most of the time), whereas NFP is still a bit atypical for men and INFP women (under 5% most of the time).
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Artisan Conquerer Array Halla74's Avatar
    7w8 sx/so

For the Record...

Your Cognitive Functions:
    Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 13.4
    Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.99
    Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.54
    Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.75
    Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||||| 8.77
    Extroverted Thinking (Te) |||||||||||||| 6.47
    Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||| 4.02
    Introverted Intuition (Ni) || -0.42

Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is very developed.
    Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
    Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
    Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is poorly developed.

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
    Most Likely: ESTP
    or Second Possibility: ISTP
    or Third Possibility: ISFJ

Your cognitive functions are, in order of preference:
    Se - Ti - Si - Fe - Ne - Te - Fi - Ni
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

"If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

3w4 sp/so

*sees Halla's pic avatar*
    *now understands why no one wants to see him pissed*

3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    Lawful Evil

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

As usual, Alex is dominating this thread! Keep up the good work, buddy!

re: rarity of ESTPs

It is my belief that xxTPs in general are made, and not born. This isn't necessarily a good thing, either - talk to one of us, and you'll likely find that a life circumstance forced us to become hard in certain ways. Much of the time, it may be that for various reasons (in my case, neurological), connecting with people had been difficult growing up. So, our energy goes toward connecting the pieces of the non-human world, seeing how those fit together, and trying to apply that to human relations. IMO, this is where Dom/Aux Ti originates from. In the end, though, we all seek the love and stability of a family that understands us, one that in many circumstances, will never be the one we were born to.

If an INTP drew her education from the natural world, she will likely resemble her ISTP brother in many ways, including an earthy sensibility about things that grounds even the most abstract of conversations. Of course, the earlier the access to human knowledge, the earlier the two types' interests begin to diverge.

ESTPs and ENTPs aren't necessarily like that. In fact, upon first glance, you'd likely not notice any significant differences between the types. In an informal context, both dress comfortably, have little regard for social rules and conventions, and have a wide range of interests that they would freely discuss without judgment. Both develop into real people-persons, and are witty and charming in their interactions. Both express a core optimism about the world. Both are incredibly competitive, always seeking to win in some way (or develop a situation into a win-win. This can drive Te nuts: we don't accept that there has to be a loser if there is a winner). Both love their toilet humor (oh lawd, do we ever). In fact, I'd estimate that 75% of self-described ENTPs are actually ESTPs. It's just that there's no way to distinguish between Se and Ne as a dominant function from one's own perspective.

The key means of distinguishing the two, in my experience, has been this: when an ESTP communicates, she is effortlessly clear, concise, practical and comprehensible. An ENTP, on the other hand, will communicate well when the conversation involves basic socializing, but when trying to explain an idea, begins to stumble over direct explanations. Instead, she will search for an analogy or other means of relating the idea, rather than explaining it and making it clear. The ESTPs I have known do not normally speak in analogies, preferring to communicate in a straightforward, effective manner. Now, this manner may involve all kinds of ornate and interesting language and figures of speech, but it does not involve conveying the idea that the essence of something is the same as something else. Meanwhile, the latter is the ENTP's preferred method of relating ideas, since the idea likely does not exist in the tangible world.

So, here's a list of people/characters commonly listed as ENTPs but whom I believe are actually ESTPs.
    - Theodore Roosevelt: the man defined "the value is in the doing."
    - Capt. Jack Sparrow: clever, witty, and utterly in the moment
    - Julia Child: her calling in life involved the sensory experience of taste. She explained how to cook with effortless clarity. A case of "ESTPs are all pretty" bias
    - Jon Stewart: witty and hilarious. However, his humor arises from pointing out absurdities in the world. Compare to George Carlin, who reveled in and ravished those absurdities.

As Mrcockburn said, we were not making assumptions. 'I was' implying that you don't come across as a typical ESTP. And that you give a ESFP friendly mellow vibe. Therefore taking you as an ESTP example and looking for others who are like you in real life and assume that they are ESTPs is not the thing to do. I also pointed out that you are an ESTP and that it is evident when you get annoyed. But less evident in general circumstances due to you been more mature than most of us due to your age.

We weren't making any assumption.

Oh I have to correct myself. I wasn't making any assumtions but some others were . But I was the one who dragged you to the subject. So I guess I was the starting point.

Ps -Lolz, Halla an ESFJ. That's a good one. Hmmm.... maybe maybe.

Pps - Thank you for the Bio Data Halla. I shall contact you if I ever need help and my friends are not in my reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes I agree that halla seems less annoyed. I thought that was due to Te.
    That has to be due to his Fe, not his Te. Te is ultimate 'I'm pissed' function ;-).

Then again Fe doms get annoyed too. It's the way they react which is different. So I guess it has nothing to do with the functions. Maybe it's simply maturity, and the lessons you've learned in deeling with issues. If you're 37 years old, married with children you're less likely to fire up the way you used to when you were a teen or when you were in your early 20s.

But after he gets annoyed he does act in the typical xSTP manner. Not in a ESFP manner which he behaves most of the time.

Te s when annoyed (Which they often do ), tend to point out the weakness of the argument. Could be since Te is a logical functions devoid of feelings. Whereas Se s when annoyed, tends to get spacy and point fingers at you. This could be due to Se being a function that perceives (circumstances or people.) So if the circumstance is wrong the people is wrong. Whereas when it comes to Te, if the actions is wrong what you did was Stupid.