• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTPs are actually rare?

rav3n

There's a side to Halla that you're not seeing, scb. Try pissing him off one day and then, if you're still breathing, tell us again about his bleeding heart! :devil:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's a side to Halla that you're not seeing, scb. Try pissing him off one day and then, if you're still breathing, tell us again about his bleeding heart! :devil:

:laugh:

I think we're working on it, typestalking him the way we are. x)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

For real, yo.

lol. It's kind of creepy that we're all discussing his type when he's not here. Eventually he's going to come back and :wtf:

.... respond in Size 6 font in 4 different primary colors and use no less than 23 emoticons. :smile:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For real, yo.

.... respond in Size 6 font in 4 different primary colors and use no less than 23 emoticons. :smile:

You mean like this?

:steam: :violin: :angry: :smoke: :eek: :duel: :rules: :BangHead: :jofticon_1: :tongue10: :nono: :dry: :thumbdown: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :worthy: :thelook: :strawman: :girlfight: :redherring: :2ar15: :chillpill::moodeath: :jesus: :spam_laser: :popc1: :2up: :yay:

ok ok....I need to fuck off TypoC and get my arse back to work. :ninja:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's enjoyable doing that, isn't it?
We love him for it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello my beloved Hooligans! :cheese:
I was somehwat surprised that my "ESTP-ness" has been scrutinized on so many levels, LOL! :laugh:
For those of you who KNOW me, there is nothing I must explain about myself. :coffee:
For those of you who have OBSERVED my behaviors on this site (and hopefully read some of the many posts I have written over the years) but never CONVERSED with me via PM or telephone about anything going on in our lives, or just a quick "Hey, What's up?!" phone call, you know far less of me than you might believe.

So, since there has been a good amount of debate, I will offer "Halla 101" to clear up a few misconceptions: :newwink:
(1) I do not blindly believe in MBTI or any other personality theory, but will admit that certain aspects of my personality are fairly accurately represented by a combination of three type descriptions: (a) ESTP, (b) SLE, and (c) 7w8.

(2) I know very little about cognitive functions or their convulted interactions with one and other. I'd rather cook radioactive food and drink ether than get mired down in all that. BUT - the parts of cognitive function theory that seem to stick to me (IMHO) are most certainly specific to Se, Ti, and Fe. "Te" is not a big part of my being. My ESFP friend is all about "Te" and he is an irritable fellow at times, and I am hardly ever as such.

(3) I am an optimist, I am an idealist, I am a creature that belives in the categorical imperative of duty, I believe in merit and not preference, I am not racist/sexist/or otherwise prejudiced, as I am a citizen of the world, and a child of the universe. All of us are God's children, leave the damn details alone already.

(4) I am hardly a bleeding heart, but I do have sympathy and empathy for people enduring hard times, and go out of my way to help them when I can, as I have a very blessed life, and the least I can do to show my thanks for all I have and all the wonderful people in my life, is to help those in need when I cross their path.

(5) Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I would say I am both assertive and aggressive, but I reserve the use of aggression for moments wwhere assertion is of limited utility, namely when I am dealing with irrational and ignorant people. I do not start fights, I finish them. There is no need for violence, but I will not be abused or mistreated by anyone for any reason, nor will I allow others to be abused or mistreated in my presence. I have been given strength, courage, and the will to stand up for what I believe in, and I will always use those gifts for the betterment of my family, myself, and the greater good.

(6) There is no friend greater than me that you can find in this life; I have given so much to so many and never asked for anything in return, because the biggest reward to me is the joy expressed by someone who has been helped at a time when they needed it, and when they had the least faith that someone cared enough to do so.

(7) There is also no greater enemy than me that you can find in this life if you hurt anyone dear to me, or wrong me beyond a threshold that I am unable to let go of. I do not have a bad temper. I do not have a short fuse. If anything I have a very long fuse, but once I am pushed past a certain limit the thinking and reasoning in my mind is over, and I have but one objective: End the confrontation as quickly and completely as possible with no room for error. I don't "push", I don't "mouth off", if I'm going to engage in any type of violent behavior at all, it's going to be over very quickly, I assure you. In clsoing though, I would like to say that I hope I never have to get violent with anyone again for the rest of my life, but if life puts in me in such a circustance, I will handle it, and I will not lose a wink of sleep over it.

(8) Someone was correct in stating that I am very protective of those dear to me. My friends and family are the treasure of my life.

(9) Look in my footer to see that I am near balanced on N/S, and almost perfectly balanced on J/P, but very high on "E" and "T." Also, I am older (37) and maybe my maturity further distorts some of the "ESTP-isms" that many seem to think I should be exhibiting but do not.

(10) I do not, and will not ever give a damn of what others think of me. I am a well intended, hard working, professional and socially polite person. I always put my best foot forward, and if that is not good enough for someone, then I am not going to waste my time with dealing with them. Love me or hate me, I am what I am, and I am the same on the WWW or IRL. :yes:

I must go to class now. I'll come back later and vandalize this thread with more colored font and emoticons, OK? ;)

Cheers to you all!

-Alex

rav3n

Yup, bighearted but not a bleeding heart. But then in so many ways, you're a larger than life guy! :)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol, yeah. I didn't intend to make any assumptions about Halla, though it came off that way. I don't know him from Adam, I've only seen his posts around.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup, bighearted but not a bleeding heart. But then in so many ways, you're a larger than life guy! :)

That is an extremely nice compliment, thank you very much my dear Jenaphor. :hug: I am honored to have so much in common with you, and to be friends with the undisputed Queen of Badassery in addition to one of the universe's most powerful fashionistas! Thank you so much for making my perspective on life better by sharing yours with me. Keep kicking ass, it's damn fun for me to watch from afar, LOL! :rock: :worthy: :solidarity:

lol, yeah. I didn't intend to make any assumptions about Halla, though it came off that way. I don't know him from Adam, I've only seen his posts around.

Hey there, Mr. Cockburn! (LOL! So funny to write that!) I know you were not making any assumptions about me, or stating anything negative/derogatory about me. I was merely trying to answer all the questions/statements/comments about me and my "ESTP-ness" that somehow manifested here in one fell swoop. I'm not pissed at anything anyone said, if anything I am honored to serve as an atypical (in many ways) member of our MBTI type. I have always enjoyed your posts, your humor, and your extremely blunt nature. Keep up the good work, Sister! :hi-five:

-Halla

P.S. Your doggy avatar has a very clean butthole, LOL! :rofl1:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look in my footer to see that I am near balanced on N/S, and almost perfectly balanced on J/P, but very high on "E" and "T." Also, I am older (37) and maybe my maturity further distorts some of the "ESTP-isms" that many seem to think I should be exhibiting but do not.

What were you like when you were younger? Has anything changed?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm surprised at that statistic. Maybe it just seems like there's more ESTPs because the have more of a presence and impact, while all the INFPs are busy hiding in the library.

:peepwall:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most statistics put ISTP males at about 9%, and I've seen ESTP males at anywhere from 6-12% (which shows just how shaky these numbers are). Considering there are 16 types, anything over 5% is not all that rare.

What makes the total of STPs surprisingly "low" is that few women are STP; female ISTPs are only at about 3%. It seems the NFP statistics have less of a gap between male & female numbers, which makes the total average of NFPs similar to the total of STPs (depending on your stats; some show STPs double the number of NFPs), but the number of NFP males are much lower than the number of STP males. I think this is what affects perspective. STP seems quite common for male personalities, but NFP is not all that common for men. When it comes to women, STPs are somewhat unusual, but not much more than INFP women (ENFPs seem the most common, often about 8% or so). So the way the types are distributed amongst gender affects how they appear amongst the population, IMO. STP will seem very typical for men (over 5% most of the time), whereas NFP is still a bit atypical for men and INFP women (under 5% most of the time).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For the Record...

Your Cognitive Functions:
Extroverted Sensation (Se) |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 13.4
Introverted Thinking (Ti) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.99
Introverted Sensation (Si) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.54
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) ||||||||||||||||||||| 9.75
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||||| 8.77
Extroverted Thinking (Te) |||||||||||||| 6.47
Introverted Feeling (Fi) |||||||||| 4.02
Introverted Intuition (Ni) || -0.42

Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is very developed.
Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is moderate.
Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is moderate.
Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is poorly developed.

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ESTP
or Second Possibility: ISTP
or Third Possibility: ISFJ

Your cognitive functions are, in order of preference:
Se - Ti - Si - Fe - Ne - Te - Fi - Ni

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*sees Halla's pic avatar*
*now understands why no one wants to see him pissed*

;)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
As usual, Alex is dominating this thread! Keep up the good work, buddy!

re: rarity of ESTPs

It is my belief that xxTPs in general are made, and not born. This isn't necessarily a good thing, either - talk to one of us, and you'll likely find that a life circumstance forced us to become hard in certain ways. Much of the time, it may be that for various reasons (in my case, neurological), connecting with people had been difficult growing up. So, our energy goes toward connecting the pieces of the non-human world, seeing how those fit together, and trying to apply that to human relations. IMO, this is where Dom/Aux Ti originates from. In the end, though, we all seek the love and stability of a family that understands us, one that in many circumstances, will never be the one we were born to.

If an INTP drew her education from the natural world, she will likely resemble her ISTP brother in many ways, including an earthy sensibility about things that grounds even the most abstract of conversations. Of course, the earlier the access to human knowledge, the earlier the two types' interests begin to diverge.

ESTPs and ENTPs aren't necessarily like that. In fact, upon first glance, you'd likely not notice any significant differences between the types. In an informal context, both dress comfortably, have little regard for social rules and conventions, and have a wide range of interests that they would freely discuss without judgment. Both develop into real people-persons, and are witty and charming in their interactions. Both express a core optimism about the world. Both are incredibly competitive, always seeking to win in some way (or develop a situation into a win-win. This can drive Te nuts: we don't accept that there has to be a loser if there is a winner). Both love their toilet humor (oh lawd, do we ever). In fact, I'd estimate that 75% of self-described ENTPs are actually ESTPs. It's just that there's no way to distinguish between Se and Ne as a dominant function from one's own perspective.

The key means of distinguishing the two, in my experience, has been this: when an ESTP communicates, she is effortlessly clear, concise, practical and comprehensible. An ENTP, on the other hand, will communicate well when the conversation involves basic socializing, but when trying to explain an idea, begins to stumble over direct explanations. Instead, she will search for an analogy or other means of relating the idea, rather than explaining it and making it clear. The ESTPs I have known do not normally speak in analogies, preferring to communicate in a straightforward, effective manner. Now, this manner may involve all kinds of ornate and interesting language and figures of speech, but it does not involve conveying the idea that the essence of something is the same as something else. Meanwhile, the latter is the ENTP's preferred method of relating ideas, since the idea likely does not exist in the tangible world.

So, here's a list of people/characters commonly listed as ENTPs but whom I believe are actually ESTPs.
- Theodore Roosevelt: the man defined "the value is in the doing."
- Capt. Jack Sparrow: clever, witty, and utterly in the moment
- Julia Child: her calling in life involved the sensory experience of taste. She explained how to cook with effortless clarity. A case of "ESTPs are all pretty" bias
- Jon Stewart: witty and hilarious. However, his humor arises from pointing out absurdities in the world. Compare to George Carlin, who reveled in and ravished those absurdities.

R

Riva

As Mrcockburn said, we were not making assumptions. 'I was' implying that you don't come across as a typical ESTP. And that you give a ESFP friendly mellow vibe. Therefore taking you as an ESTP example and looking for others who are like you in real life and assume that they are ESTPs is not the thing to do. I also pointed out that you are an ESTP and that it is evident when you get annoyed. But less evident in general circumstances due to you been more mature than most of us due to your age.

We weren't making any assumption.

R

Riva

Oh I have to correct myself. I wasn't making any assumtions but some others were ;). But I was the one who dragged you to the subject. So I guess I was the starting point.

Ps -Lolz, Halla an ESFJ. That's a good one. Hmmm.... maybe maybe.

Pps - Thank you for the Bio Data Halla. I shall contact you if I ever need help and my friends are not in my reach.

R

Riva

Then again Fe doms get annoyed too. It's the way they react which is different. So I guess it has nothing to do with the functions. Maybe it's simply maturity, and the lessons you've learned in deeling with issues. If you're 37 years old, married with children you're less likely to fire up the way you used to when you were a teen or when you were in your early 20s.

But after he gets annoyed he does act in the typical xSTP manner. Not in a ESFP manner which he behaves most of the time.

R

Riva

Te s when annoyed (Which they often do ;)), tend to point out the weakness of the argument. Could be since Te is a logical functions devoid of feelings. Whereas Se s when annoyed, tends to get spacy and point fingers at you. This could be due to Se being a function that perceives (circumstances or people.) So if the circumstance is wrong the people is wrong. Whereas when it comes to Te, if the actions is wrong what you did was Stupid.