User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are ISFPs "daydreamers"?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, ISFPs love to daydream

27 81.82%
  • No, I don't believe ISFPs daydream very much at all, they're more realistic

1 3.03%
  • I'm not sure

5 15.15%
First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Another biggie is when I read a book, I tend to put myself into it.
    Fi

Why does daydreaming have to be pure fantasy? Couldn't it be just being 'lost in thought?' I mean even realistic types probably 'daydream' about things they are going to do, make plans in their minds etc. What's the difference?

My husband is an ENTJ and isn't typically 'daydreamy' though he admits to 'making plans in his mind?' But I'm more likely to think about myself as the character married to George Clooney in a movie. So am I daydreaming and he's not?

heart on fire

Dreaming and thinking/planning seem different to me.

They MIGHT be to me, but I'm not really sure HOW they are different.

For example, hubby and I are going to Chicago next month. If I get lost in thought about shopping in cool stores, going to the theatre, being at Navy Pier - am I daydreaming? Or does it need en element of 'couldn't really happen' - daydreaming about walking on the moon for example?

I know I'm splitting hairs (and I normally don't) but I think daydreaming means different things to different people.

My son daydreams about 'inventions' he could make with his Legos. Is that planning or a daydream?

MBTI
    INTJ

They MIGHT be to me, but I'm not really sure HOW they are different.

For example, hubby and I are going to Chicago next month. If I get lost in thought about shopping in cool stores, going to the theatre, being at Navy Pier - am I daydreaming? Or does it need en element of 'couldn't really happen' - daydreaming about walking on the moon for example?

I know I'm splitting hairs (and I normally don't) but I think daydreaming means different things to different people.

My son daydreams about 'inventions' he could make with his Legos. Is that planning or a daydream?
    Daydreaming seems more to me like something that is so far ahead in the future that nothing you could do today could have any (or much) effect on it - like a 14 year old daydreaming about the ideal man that she wants to marry some day.

Dreaming about all the shopping you'd like to do when you get to Chicago is sort of daydreaming, but it seems more tied down to that "realistic" aspect that N type daydreaming doesn't have to satisfy.

heart on fire

The more abstract the vision, the more I would consider it daydreaming and the more practical and applied to some solid preparation for a real world event I would consider it planning.

Ok, so if I saw George Clooney in real life, and he said "Hi." Then later I fantazised about our wedding - daydreaming or planning?

(just kidding)

I think daydreaming means different things to different personalities. JMHO

MBTI
    INTJ

Ok, so if I saw George Clooney in real life, and he said "Hi." Then later I fantazised about our wedding - daydreaming or planning?

(just kidding)
    Yes. That would be daydreaming.

I think daydreaming means different things to different personalities. JMHO
    Well, that just messes me all up.

heart on fire

Until he is down on his knees popping the question, it is all a daydream.

MBTI
    ISFP

I definitely daydream. As has been discussed, though, it usually isn't extremely fantasy oriented. I mostly think about idealistic plans, imagined conversations, etc. Also, if I'm in the middle of a crafty project, I'll think about that to the point that it could be considered daydreaming. When I was younger I had a more active imagination. I'd have ongoing daydreams with a complicated plot usually derived from a book or movie I had seen, and they were much more fanciful.

It seems to me that my habit of daydreaming gives people the idea that I'm much more "N" than I actually am.