User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Sure, something reminds you of something...
    That applies to any human being.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Ne is not about random connections. Random connections can even be a sign of inferior N.
    Se apprehends the literal object & its immediate, realistic possibilities. It also sees connections between these literal objects. These could be seemingly random. A blue car reminds them of the sky, which reminds them that they want to go skydiving. That is actually quite a Se line of thought.

Ne apprehends the concept behind the object and what that concept implies for future, hypothetical possibilities (they don't need to be realistic ideas; if it can be imagined, then it's a possibility). It sees connections between the underlying concepts of objects, not their literal attributes. This is why Ne types appear absent-minded, because they are not focusing their minds on what exists around them literally at the moment, but on what exists in concept in the world in general. The mindset is still focused on external things, but it's abstract, intangible stuff.

The examples of your friend don't seem out of line with Se thinking.
    Ahh good good! That makes a lot of sense to me (no pun). Thank you for posting that, you explained that very well
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

All 4 perceptions could've arrived at that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No doubt.

Ne is not about random connections. Random connections can even be a sign of inferior N.
    Se apprehends the literal object & its immediate, realistic possibilities. It also sees connections between these literal objects. These could be seemingly random. A blue car reminds them of the sky, which reminds them that they want to go skydiving. That is actually quite a Se line of thought.

Ne apprehends the concept behind the object and what that concept implies for future, hypothetical possibilities (they don't need to be realistic ideas; if it can be imagined, then it's a possibility). It sees connections between the underlying concepts of objects, not their literal attributes. This is why Ne types appear absent-minded, because they are not focusing their minds on what exists around them literally at the moment, but on what exists in concept in the world in general. The mindset is still focused on external things, but it's abstract, intangible stuff.

The examples of your friend don't seem out of line with Se thinking.
    This makes sense.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Se is different from Ne because it is actually here experiencing the moment on a sensory level, and seeks out new experiences simply for the sake of having the experiences. Ne on the other hand means the person is still very much inside their own head, they can be utterly out of touch with what's actually going on around them, and actually blend their imaginary world with "the moment" so that what they see isn't what is actually sensorily there, but an Ne analysis of it. Se types are much better at navigating things that require having sharp attention to what is going on around them than Ne types. Ne types are more likely to get confused because they aren't seeing "what's really there."

For example, ADD in Se types more commonly manifests as physical hyperactivity, where as Ne types with ADD might have no problem sitting still, but their mind would jump from idea to idea, and they would want to multi-task mental work to the point of not focusing enough to get things done.

Ne seeks experiences, but it's ideologically related.
    Definitely. The bolded is a significant part of my Te-Ne loop - which drives me fcking CRAZY sometimes.
    Ne is not about random connections.
    So true. I hate it when MBTI tests have questions about "random" connections and associations. Because I never consider the connections I make to be random; though they can be pretty out there.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

For an example

Setting: meeting at work, employees seated in rolly chairs... whatever somewhat back from the table

What Happens: boss keeps talking and whatever concludes that this is something she's heard before and there's better places to wander off to mentally

whatever ponders how the arms of rolly chairs kind of look like octopus tentacles with the casters being suction cups or something

meeting goes on and pondering about exactly how cool octopuses are and how they can escape their tanks, steal cameras and squeeze through small spaces and some of them are venemous and even change colors

Boss asks random employees what they want out of their career in a manner of inspiring people... whatever announces that having a pet octopus would be super cool

coworkers stare in a mix of horror and amazement

whatever gets asked multiple times where the fuck octopuses came from

Conclusion: flights of fancy have nothing to do with what type someone is
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    For an example

Setting: meeting at work, employees seated in rolly chairs... whatever somewhat back from the table

What Happens: boss keeps talking and whatever concludes that this is something she's heard before and there's better places to wander off to mentally

whatever ponders how the arms of rolly chairs kind of look like octopus tentacles with the casters being suction cups or something

meeting goes on and pondering about exactly how cool octopuses are and how they can escape their tanks, steal cameras and squeeze through small spaces and some of them are venemous and even change colors

Boss asks random employees what they want out of their career in a manner of inspiring people... whatever announces that having a pet octopus would be super cool

coworkers stare in a mix of horror and amazement

whatever gets asked multiple times where the fuck octopuses came from

Conclusion: flights of fancy have nothing to do with what type someone is
    LOL! That's way too funny.

And you're right, they really don't. I think I'm just over-analyzing this entirely too hard. I do think though that your example did help me to understand my friend a little more. I just find myself wondering, "Where the HELL did that come from?" some of the time that I talked to her and I'm always left wondering how she arrived of whatever phrase came tumbling out of her mouth. Thank you
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

just think of her mind like a spider web, where everything connects in an interconnected manner... you start at one point in the web, and depending on external input, ideas feed off of ideas and can take you to any given point in the web, no matter how seemingly unconnected it initially seems

and you would overthink something
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    just think of her mind like a spider web, where everything connects in an interconnected manner... you start at one point in the web, and depending on external input, ideas feed off of ideas and can take you to any given point in the web, no matter how seemingly unconnected it initially seems

and you would overthink something

Yea, the spider web example is actually in one of the ESFP descriptions. They talk in a "spider web" approach. It's probably just a general Se thing, though
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    For example, her and I were blocking the baby food aisle tonight at the grocery store we both work at and out of the blue in apropo of NOTHING we were talking about before she suddenly asks me if some parents realize that they have particularly ugly babies or not. When I asked her where in the hell that came from, she proceeded to tell me a story about how her older brother thought his daughter was an ugly kid (and how her ESFJ mother flipped her shit over that).
    1. My SJ friends have a similar reaction to my comments, lol: "where the hell did that come from?!"

2. I would not have a background story from the past like that, perhaps some reason why the two things are related though.

3. Earlier today, I was boiling water to make food, and it occurred to me that if you put all 8 cognitive functions in water and boiled them infinitesimally slowly (like the frog in water), Se would probably be most likely to detect the 'creeping normalcy'. I thought I should make a thread on that, to see what others think, lol. I don't know if this is a similar 'connection' to the one your friend made, but I wouldn't say it is random, strange, or anything like that. It's pretty typical of me though.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    In any event I made some joking remark about how people are going to think I beat her regularily at something. She laughed, then asked me "How funny would it be if you actually were beating me? A nice guy like you? That would be hilarious!".
    I think the absurdity of that would occur to me, but I'd hardly find it funny. I suspect this is just your friend's 'quirky' humour. But immediately after pointing out the absurdity, I would probably have a thought/ make a comment about how it's not actually that absurd, because perhaps this is how bad people hide, etc.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.