• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFP] Pessimistic ESFP???

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a friend who is an ESFP. Very Fi and Se. Little to no trace of Fe and Si. The thing is, she's a major worry wort. Everything little thing makes her panic and launch into histronics. She can be really fun and light-hearted too once you redirect her focus, but her mind constantly goes back to the negative. I have never known ESFPs to be this way though. I thought they were supposed to be laid-back and carefree-ish. Is she just unhealthy?

I have tried everything I can to help her be more positive and relaxed but that usually only lasts for a few minutes. Any advice?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
edit - crap sorry!! i just noticed this was in the arthouse, not the general area! apologies for usurping thread. :blushing:

unhealthy enneagram 6w7? :)

an ESFP friend of mine gets really worked up sometimes - she's a little panicky, especially in regards to relationships - but she's pretty chill overall.

anyway. do you have any idea if she has an anxiety disorder? that might be part of the problem. it doesn't sound like she's particularly healthy. do you know if she's been like this for a long time? if there's something that's bothering her recently?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks, skylights. I have thought before that she might suffer from panic attacks. Maybe it's anxiety disorder like you said. I don't know much about that disorder, I'll have to read up on it. I've known her for 7 years and she's always been this way without breaks.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see why some types would be less pessimistic than others.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see why some types would be less pessimistic than others.

I guess you're right. I know ESFPs get down sometimes, but I never knew them to have difficulty getting out of a funk.

Why do you think she's ESFP then? Why couldn't she be ESFJ? :shrug:

I thought about that ...but she has so much Fi and Se, and I hardly ever see Fe and Si. And when I think about J traits and P traits, she has more P traits. She took the official MBTI test once, and I was eager to see her results, but she never followed through to get the results. :shrug:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought about that ...but she has so much Fi and Se, and I hardly ever see Fe and Si. And when I think about J traits and P traits, she has more P traits. She took the official MBTI test once, and I was eager to see her results, but she never followed through to get the results. :shrug:

How do you see "Fi" and "Se"?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my friend, she has tons and tons of feelings, and they all seem derived internally, and she doesn't pay much attention to what's going with others Feelings, or think about how her feelings compare to others or effect others. She seems Se because she very much so lives in the moment. She doesn't think of past or future. She seems most attracted to things she can experience with her 5 senses, and anything ethereal or imaginative completely escapes her.

This is just my description of how I see my friend use Fi and Se. I don't see all Fi-Se users in this way. There is a scale or range to its use and depends on the user, and there are other parts to Fi and Se that i haven't described here, as well. I'm certainly not an expert on it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can tell you exactly why this would happen, as I see it in myself. (Especially when I was younger and less able to deal with things.)

Being stuck in the moment has it's major flaws. First of all, in moments that are not the most thrilling and happy, the moment is all that you really have. And sometimes it really, really feels like nothing will ever be. Except for this moment. Sometimes the thought of the future is extremely stressful as well. Lacking insight into what may happen next can cause some major panic stricken moments. The "what nexts?" Are really like
" WHATS NEXT!!!??" Like every second of every day can turn into this big roller coaster ride. There have been times when i've thought about myself as one who always lives in the third act. I really hate drama. But sometimes drama happens when you are literally taking life second by second with little planning.

One of the descriptions of ESFP said that if we give any thought into anything outside of what's going on it can send us wallowing in despair. I have an anxiety disorder myself caused by all these dynamics. Se-Fi is an anxiety disorder. Once I got older and things started to develop, things were fine. Whew. Now I can think an entire week in advance if I have to! She's probably just a negative, underdeveloped ESFP.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OMG that's it! sounds just like my friend. Thanks, shortnsweet.

Can I help her in any way?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OMG that's it! sounds just like my friend. Thanks, shortnsweet.

Can I help her in any way?

Actually, SJ's have been very helpful to me. (The most helpful) in overcoming this third act problem. Just living by example. (AKA just be yourself.) I've always envied their ability to pay their bills before they ran out of money in their paycheck. They never would show up to work with their hair wet and complaining that their gas tank is on empty, or they got pulled over for speeding. (I speed because I'm late because I was dealing with some other things that came up that I had no foresight about.) Just watching their actions has brought out my Te and taught me how to use it. It's embarrassing walking in to class at the very last second without your book only to have the ISFJ next to you let you look on. I think over time that SJ's have been the most idolized for me when dealing with this particular matter. (I still live this way a lot, but have managed to water it down a bit.)

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
(What the freak is up with this forum and multi-quoting now? They really need to fix this shit.)

In my friend, she has tons and tons of feelings, and they all seem derived internally, and she doesn't pay much attention to what's going with others Feelings, or think about how her feelings compare to others or effect others. She seems Se because she very much so lives in the moment. She doesn't think of past or future. She seems most attracted to things she can experience with her 5 senses, and anything ethereal or imaginative completely escapes her.

This is just my description of how I see my friend use Fi and Se. I don't see all Fi-Se users in this way. There is a scale or range to its use and depends on the user, and there are other parts to Fi and Se that i haven't described here, as well. I'm certainly not an expert on it.
Yeah, I've seen the "Fi" description you gave go either way. I guess it's because I tend to associate duty or rule-based concern as being self-centered, though that's not always true. It's really difficult to generalize about everyone. That's why I absolutely hate these function descriptions, because they're so slippery and subjective that you really can't seem to use them as a general rule for everyone. Yes, most of the SFPs I've known have shown generous affection for others. I think it's just a product of being soft-hearted.

I can tell you exactly why this would happen, as I see it in myself. (Especially when I was younger and less able to deal with things.)

Being stuck in the moment has it's major flaws. First of all, in moments that are not the most thrilling and happy, the moment is all that you really have. And sometimes it really, really feels like nothing will ever be. Except for this moment. Sometimes the thought of the future is extremely stressful as well. Lacking insight into what may happen next can cause some major panic stricken moments. The "what nexts?" Are really like
" WHATS NEXT!!!??" Like every second of every day can turn into this big roller coaster ride. There have been times when i've thought about myself as one who always lives in the third act. I really hate drama. But sometimes drama happens when you are literally taking life second by second with little planning.

One of the descriptions of ESFP said that if we give any thought into anything outside of what's going on it can send us wallowing in despair. I have an anxiety disorder myself caused by all these dynamics. Se-Fi is an anxiety disorder. Once I got older and things started to develop, things were fine. Whew. Now I can think an entire week in advance if I have to! She's probably just a negative, underdeveloped ESFP.
Word. Except for the part about being so emotional, I totally feel you on that. I feel caught up in a continual catch-22. It's not all fun and games being an SP because life is for real and if you can't plan ahead just a little bit it's hell.

What's funny is that my parents were SO fucking concerned that I wouldn't be able to get my shit paid and would fall behind and crap by not writing down transactions in my checkbook, but I've done way better than they ever have. All I do is check my monies and I'm pretty good about remembering bills coming up, probably because I've been so traumatized by their lack of ability to get things taken care of (irony that they're ENTJ and ESFJ).

But as for responsibility, I have a super low attention span and end up slacking off on everything from school to finding a job. I'm kind of an idiot about that. Still trying to figure out how to improve.

And when I get depressed, yes. I feel like that's how it's always been and always will be. Well, I'm pretty optimistic and still figure there'll be a way out, but sometimes that's only a kind of dead mental assertion and all I know is the pain I'm currently in.

Actually, SJ's have been very helpful to me. (The most helpful) in overcoming this third act problem. Just living by example. (AKA just be yourself.) I've always envied their ability to pay their bills before they ran out of money in their paycheck. They never would show up to work with their hair wet and complaining that their gas tank is on empty, or they got pulled over for speeding. (I speed because I'm late because I was dealing with some other things that came up that I had no foresight about.) Just watching their actions has brought out my Te and taught me how to use it. It's embarrassing walking in to class at the very last second without your book only to have the ISFJ next to you let you look on. I think over time that SJ's have been the most idolized for me when dealing with this particular matter. (I still live this way a lot, but have managed to water it down a bit.)
Yes, yes, yes. And they seem to enjoy life to boot. I don't wanna be as crazy meticulous as they are or cut out all enjoyments but I idolize them for that all the same.

And amen to unexpected things coming up all of a sudden. Sometimes I feel like people don't get that. It's not that I was slacking off, I just seriously didn't see something coming (which at times appears impossible to me, but somehow Guardians tend to guess those things beforehand, hah).

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, SJ's have been very helpful to me. (The most helpful) in overcoming this third act problem. Just living by example. (AKA just be yourself.) I've always envied their ability to pay their bills before they ran out of money in their paycheck. They never would show up to work with their hair wet and complaining that their gas tank is on empty, or they got pulled over for speeding. (I speed because I'm late because I was dealing with some other things that came up that I had no foresight about.) Just watching their actions has brought out my Te and taught me how to use it. It's embarrassing walking in to class at the very last second without your book only to have the ISFJ next to you let you look on. I think over time that SJ's have been the most idolized for me when dealing with this particular matter. (I still live this way a lot, but have managed to water it down a bit.) You coud

:wubbie: I'm glad you're okay.

Yeah, I've seen the "Fi" description you gave go either way. I guess it's because I tend to associate duty or rule-based concern as being self-centered, though that's not always true. It's really difficult to generalize about everyone. That's why I absolutely hate these function descriptions, because they're so slippery and subjective that you really can't seem to use them as a general rule for everyone. Yes, most of the SFPs I've known have shown generous affection for others. I think it's just a product of being soft-hearted.

Yep, that's how I feel about SFPs in general too. That's why this one (my friend) has confused me and I asked for help with her.

Word. Except for the part about being so emotional, I totally feel you on that. I feel caught up in a continual catch-22. It's not all fun and games being an SP because life is for real and if you can't plan ahead just a little bit it's hell.

What's funny is that my parents were SO fucking concerned that I wouldn't be able to get my shit paid and would fall behind and crap by not writing down transactions in my checkbook, but I've done way better than they ever have. All I do is check my monies and I'm pretty good about remembering bills coming up, probably because I've been so traumatized by their lack of ability to get things taken care of (irony that they're ENTJ and ESFJ).

But as for responsibility, I have a super low attention span and end up slacking off on everything from school to finding a job. I'm kind of an idiot about that. Still trying to figure out how to improve.

And when I get depressed, yes. I feel like that's how it's always been and always will be. Well, I'm pretty optimistic and still figure there'll be a way out, but sometimes that's only a kind of dead mental assertion and all I know is the pain I'm currently in.

Yes, yes, yes. And they seem to enjoy life to boot. I don't wanna be as crazy meticulous as they are or cut out all enjoyments but I idolize them for that all the same.

And amen to unexpected things coming up all of a sudden. Sometimes I feel like people don't get that. It's not that I was slacking off, I just seriously didn't see something coming (which at times appears impossible to me, but somehow Guardians tend to guess those things beforehand, hah).

I wub you, ESxPs! Seriously. Never met one I didn't like. I want to round you guys all up (and a few select ISxPs too) and keep you forever.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wub you, ESxPs! Seriously. Never met one I didn't like. I want to round you guys all up (and a few select ISxPs too) and keep you forever.

Hey now! Don't take them all, leave some for the rest of us :cry: