• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISPs: Do you identify with this statement? (tertiary Ni)

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Nope. I do annoying things but I really don't have that particular attitude.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I don't identify with it. And I don't buy the theory that Sensors have these intuitive processes so close to the surface. I know I don't, and I think there are many other people like me in that area.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki

Do you think she is just pinning these ideas to tertiary Ni without any justification, or are her ideas about the role of Ni justified?

You can stretch any thought, word or deed into being caused by any function, if you try hard enough. Students of literature and composition know better than anyone that if you want to justify a given interpretation of anything, you can.

That's why applying functional theory to others doesn't tend to work very well; you don't have enough insight without that person's subjective experience to accurately describe internalized motivations.

maliafee

No, I don't identify with it. And I don't buy the theory that Sensors have these intuitive processes so close to the surface. I know I don't, and I think there are many other people like me in that area.

:nod:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You can stretch any thought, word or deed into being caused by any function, if you try hard enough. Students of literature and composition know better than anyone that if you want to justify a given interpretation of anything, you can.

That's why applying functional theory to others doesn't tend to work very well; you don't have enough insight without that person's subjective experience to accurately describe internalized motivations.

That's why you must ask yourself the question. Do you feel tertiary functions negatively affect your perception or judgment?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's why you must ask yourself the question. Do you feel tertiary functions negatively affect your perception or judgment?

Fair enough...I feel that Fe tends to come out for me when I'm stressed or otherwise upset. It seems to be slowly ingraining itself into my behavior, whereas when I was younger I just really didn't give a shit what group mentality or social standards were expected.

I still don't know wtf is up with my Si though.

Not that that's really what this thread was about, though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
. Students of literature and composition know better than anyone that if you want to justify a given interpretation of anything, you can.

This is SO incredibly true. I'm a Lit major and I've had to write critiques comparing the analyses of graduate students on a major work of literature (story or poem) and the psychological interpretations can be so wide that it implies to me that there is definitely a bit of "projecting" one's own issues into literary analysis.

This is also why a lit major can be applied toward law school. People who can analyze literature can justify almost anything, argue from different sides of the same point, unless their conscience stops them from doing so.

This probably applies to psychoanalysis of any sort to a smaller degree. At least I hope it's to a smaller degree...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know one ISFP that exactly matches this description of having tertiary Ni. Also know an ISTP that does, too. The making assumptions about things based on little information. (They do this all the time! To everyone!) Not just once in a while.

Well yeah, but almost everyone does that. I'm not sure it can be tied specifically to any particular functions or function order placements.

aguanile

MBTI Type
IXXP
Enneagram
4w5
The description above of the Artisan/Improviser is SO me. I think EVERYONE has motives and the quicker I find them out, the quicker I can decide what role you will or will not play in my life.

Honestly, I don't even think that it's wrong. People's motives are what they are.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I've had 2 good friends who were ISTPs, and they both made a habit of saying very abrasive things when they don't like what is going on socially. I was friends with a group of people who preferred to keep conversations pretty clean, and when I tried to include the ISTP in this group, he would become outrageously vulgar and pretty much try to ruin the situation.