User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Yep, I relate to it quite strongly. While I tend to be optimistic and trust people until proven otherwise, I still will analyze other's motives, especially if the person's actions strike me as odd or out of the ordinary. I'm usually dead on when it comes to figuring them out and consider this ability to be a good thing. So, I'd describe myself as quietly cynical and fairly sceptical, and not at all gullible.

This trait has also gotten much stronger with age which is of course true with the teriariy functions.

Enneagram
    1w2

Posts where INFJs (not ISPs) ramble about their tertiary function moved here.

MBTI
    ISFP

As a Tertiary Function, Ni typically leads ISPs to suspect others of hypocrisy and cheating and putting on appearances aimed at exploiting people's credulity--especially hypocrisy inherent in social institutions.
    I tackled with this once. That was the time when my Sensing side is at its strongest(I'm still 18 btw and I've read once that my 3rd function would kick at around 25 above but it varies from person to person), but my tertiary Ni was already manifesting itself I think in an unhealthy way because I was always suspecting others of pretending whenever they're around me.

So I believe that this kind of Ni manifestation is an unhealthy manifestation. But I'm not sure...suggestions/comments are welcome.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by riel View Post
    So I believe that this kind of Ni manifestation is an unhealthy manifestation. But I'm not sure...suggestions/comments are welcome.
    Lenore Thomson agrees with you (re: Tertiary temptation).

I personally don't think tertiary usage is always unhealthy. I guess before you get a good grasp of what it is, there'll be the tendency of unconscious flare ups. But for the most part I've only heard good things people have to say about the use of their tertiary functions here on the forum.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

I recognise healthy and unhealthy use in me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Lenore Thomson agrees with you (re: Tertiary temptation). I personally don't think tertiary usage is always unhealthy. I guess before you get a good grasp of what it is, there'll be the tendency of unconscious flare ups. But for the most part I've only heard good things people have to say about the use of their tertiary functions here on the forum.
    I don't know if particular behaviors can be conclusively tied to a tertiary, this is where theory definitely starts to seem more theoretical than normal, if you get my drift. We're probably plugging a lot into the theory (backwards engineering) than letting theory be driven by pure data.

But I can see a lot of stuff in me that could be a childlike Si (and I was raised by a strong Si and had others in my family). For being so intellectually complex, I have this naive sweet sense of nostalgia and find it easy to retreat into a pocket world built on memories of less complicated times, I can be very nostalgic when given the chance and sometimes have a temptation to just set everything else aside and accept this simply view of the world from when I was young, and get caught up on revisiting and reexperiencing those old memories in the present... whereas there's nothing essentially good about them except that they were part of my particular past.

meanwhile I've seen ISTPs have the kneejerk reactions mentioned in the OP, and sometimes ISFPs (but more the ISTPs). ISTPs tend to do it when they think the demand is stupid, ISFPs seem to respond more if they think the demand is unfair to people.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I personally thought Lenore Thomson's views on the tertiary functions weren't that great, or at least they were incomplete. Ni manifests itself in many, many other ways in the ISPs, not just with those few sentences she wrote.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    istp

i am aware of it ("Ni", I will call it probable outcomes) and usually, it is not wrong or far off, but when other people are involved i try to ignore it in leu of the concrete facts because, like all educated guessing, it is too prone to projection and that isn't fair to others. by myself, i will use it heavily because there is little or no collateral damage to others when im wrong and it's more efficient, really depends on how vital the situation is, risk/reward of time saved, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    From The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki

Do you think she is just pinning these ideas to tertiary Ni without any justification, or are her ideas about the role of Ni justified?
    I guess I do this... but not often. I tend to be suspicious of people taking advantage of my ISFJ boyfriend who is so kind to everyone.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I know one ISFP that exactly matches this description of having tertiary Ni. Also know an ISTP that does, too. The making assumptions about things based on little information. (They do this all the time! To everyone!) Not just once in a while.

I love them both dearly, but at times have questioned their intelligence level. They don't strike me as stupid, but just aren't quite up there with the smartest of the smartest.

I think that this kind of use of tertiary function may be due to lack of intelligence and maybe just possible unhealthy tertiary development. (Which I guess could lead to a seeming lack of intelligence as well. Maybe? I'm just talking to myself, now.)

(I would say age too but the ISFP is 44.. He should have that third function developed by now!!)