User Tag List

First 123 Last

All Natural! All Good!

I have this issue with my brother who is xSTP. I am ISFP. He likes action movies with nice fight scenes. I like movies that make you "think" (actually I relate a lot to your list of what you like). We've figured out how to compromise quite a lot though, because a lot of movies do provide both sides. I would suggest finding rare movies that appeal to all of you. I once convinced an ISFJ to watch a movie she thought she would hate, because it had good reviews and she thinks movies with good reviews are objectively good. Perhaps your friends will think that way as well. Even if it is a stupid way of thinking, you can use it to get your way. Lastly, I find that if I pressure my brother to watch a "thinking" movie with me, (so long as it's not too mushy/romantic) his Ti will latch onto it and we can discuss it for days. We spent a week and a half dissecting Inception last year. There is a lot of common ground, I hope you are able to find some with your friends. Hope this helped.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    Sorry is this is silly, but it's actually a problem I need help with.

On a good night with friends over, we like to sit back and watch/listen to some movies, TV series, anime, etc. If the people around are NFs, NTs, or SJs, it seems we can find something we agree on quite well. Such is usually the case with ISFPs, too. When it comes to ISTPs, ESTPs, and ESFPs, though, we're on. Another. Planet.

I tend to like:
    -soft, emotional music which reminds me of feelings I've experienced
    -stories which revolve around human relations; romance, deep friends, and the power of love
    -soap opera-type dramas where the situations and relationships are actually realistic
    -material which has me constantly thinking about the world around me
    -I don't always need logic in the situations, since the one thing I do need is to relate to it
    -slow-pace

ESFP, ESTP, ISTP friends like:
    -any music with a beat
    -hate predictability
    -stories which focus on action like gunfights, martial arts, and car chases
    -everything, to them has to make complete logical sense and be practical
    -fast-paced, always things happening

I am not attempting to insult people. All types have their flaws and positive traits. I am just looking for some sort of understanding.

Is there, like, any way we can come to agreement at all?
    You're likes are so so borrrinngggg.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Is this a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to say that a stringent requirement for "logic" doesn't apply across all realms for most people?
    No, it's a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to understand that you can't like martial arts films (or any film that requires the suspension of disbelief...but especially martial arts films, because the characters regularly defy the laws of physics without any explanation) AND say that you require strict logic in films in order to enjoy them.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

All Natural! All Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    No, it's a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to understand that you can't like martial arts films (or any film that requires the suspension of disbelief...but especially martial arts films, because the characters regularly defy the laws of physics without any explanation) AND say that you require strict logic in films in order to enjoy them.
    Just making a counterpoint for the sake of it, but a film can be perfectly logical - internally consistent, that is - while being totally unrealistic. It can be set in entirely different worlds that abandon our laws of physics and still be logical. Logical =/= realistic.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    XXFP

Is this a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to say that a stringent requirement for "logic" doesn't apply across all realms for most people?
    Is this ^ a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to say that a stringent requirement for "logic" doesn't apply across all realms for most people?

But sure, action films don't "make sense" most the time. At any rate, it was never said that the movie had to make sense, just everything else. Logic might dictate that people should have some fun with a silly movie.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    Just making a counterpoint for the sake of it, but a film can be perfectly logical - internally consistent, that is - while being totally unrealistic. It can be set in entirely different worlds that abandon our laws of physics and still be logical. Logical =/= realistic.
    Granted.

Is this ^ a rhetorical question which is supposed to lead you to say that a stringent requirement for "logic" doesn't apply across all realms for most people?

Must you force me to agree with you?

MBTI
    XXFP

hahaha, you could address it. i'm not forcing you to agree with me, although I think my point is entirely valid. i actually agreed with your point, but i'm changing the lens to look at the situation.

the point was, it was never said in the op that the movies they were watching (in of themselves) had to be practical. you said that.

see:

ESFP, ESTP, ISTP friends like:
    -any music with a beat
    -hate predictability
    -stories which focus on action like gunfights, martial arts, and car chases
    -everything, to them has to make complete logical sense and be practical
    -fast-paced, always things happening
    Also, how can films or music be practical? And how can these ISTPs/ESTPs/ESFPs enjoy martial arts films AND require that films make logical sense (unless it's like...a Tae Bo instructional video or something)?
    So what I'm saying is that there is another way to look at it. I descibed it here:

Logic might dictate that people should have some fun with a silly movie.
    Which might be totally practical: people work better when they have rest and entertainment.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

hahaha, you could address it. i'm not forcing you to agree with me, although I think my point is entirely valid. i actually agreed with your point, but i'm changing the lens to look at the situation.

the point was, it was never said in the op that the movies they were watching (in of themselves) had to be practical. you said that.

see:

So what I'm saying is that there is another way to look at it. I descibed it here:

Which might be totally practical: people work better when they have rest and entertainment.
    I understood, and was agreeing with you .

MBTI
    XXFP

i'm going to say "ok" because i don't know what's going on at this point. legit or confusion tactic - "ok."

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    You're likes are so so borrrinngggg.
    Funny. My friend who I highly suspect is ISTP says that exact same thing or complains about sappiness to just about everything I put on to watch by myself while he's also in the room.