• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] ISTP Careers? HELP!

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
After a while, any work becomes work.

I have found that I tend to fall into leadership positions, sometimes unintentionally.

Some ideas, stuff that I think I would enjoy:
  • Electronics shop / Glass blowing / Machine shop services for a university or town
  • Maintenance, like for a university or town
  • Mechanic (not necessarily auto)
  • Instrumentation repair and service (basically a mechanic for scientific and medical devices)
  • Teacher (I have done this and enjoy it)
  • Computer programming
  • Statistical analysis
  • Tree service -- tree removal and pruning

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I now own my own computer repair business. Lovin' it.......

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The best thing for me is keep trying different things, I tend to change my mind quite often and I tend to do crap loads of research but If I don't try out what I'm interested in I wont be committed. There is alot of trial and error that goes into ISTP decision making I think. My advice is to keep at it and not be lazy, eventually he will find his knack. I tend to notice that alot of ISTPs need time and are usually directionless till about their mid-late 20's or so. ISTP carreers include areas such as mechanical work(any type not just car HVAC is another good one), engineering, landscaping, production, musician, electrician, tool and die, millwright, IT, architect/architect technician, design technician, environmental protection tec, economics, political science, public policy and administration, entrepreneur etc etc.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The best thing for me is keep trying different things, I tend to change my mind quite often and I tend to do crap loads of research but If I don't try out what I'm interested in I wont be committed. There is alot of trial and error that goes into ISTP decision making I think. My advice is to keep at it and not be lazy, eventually he will find his knack. I tend to notice that alot of ISTPs need time and are usually directionless till about their mid-late 20's or so. ISTP carreers include areas such as mechanical work(any type not just car HVAC is another good one), engineering, landscaping, production, musician, electrician, tool and die, millwright, IT, architect/architect technician, design technician, environmental protection tec, economics, political science, public policy and administration, entrepreneur etc etc.

uh, dude...you forgot teh' prOn! What about teh' prOn!?!? :happy2:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If he's an analytical type, he may enjoy programming or something that involves statistical analysis (including research type jobs). I enjoy programming, but I know a few other ISTPs that may not be into it.

If he's interested in programming but has no experience and isn't planning on getting a degree, he can always start in an entry System Admin type role. It seems to be pretty common for System Admin types to pick up at least a little bit of programming, and I know a few that have worked it into their job role over time. Heck, he may just like the normal System Admin type work. It involves a lot of troubleshooting, and that's usually pretty motivating for ISTPs.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It varies by person, I think. You can't really prescribe careers that would fit all ISTPs.

However, if it's helpful at all, my ISTP dad was in the military doing aeronautical engineering for twenty years, and he loved it. Now he's working with a chemical engineering and inspection company. He says he misses the airplanes, though.

My ISTP grandfather was an automobile mechanic. He also loved it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sorry but an interest in auto mechanics is not the tell-tale sign of whether or not someone is an ISTP or not. Not all ISTPs care much for the hobby/job.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ISTPs are good business owners, I know cause my Dad is one. Their biggest challenge is not to forget themselves in the process.