User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

I can relate to the job-hopping. I just turned 30 and after a few years in the financial sector (I majored in econ) I'm ready for a more exciting career. Right now I'm leaning towards network administrator (i love the independence and ability to work on my own at nights) or pilot (sense of adventure...rare for a woman). I'll update once the change occurs.

FWIW, I'm 30, and am pretty directionless. Or at least I probably look that way to everyone else. I actually have a general direction figured out, but I've been stuck doing the same thing for the past 10 years and hate it. This made the typical ISTP job hopping opportunities non existent for me. The reason I say this is because i have an idea of what I want to do, but not having any experience trying out different areas of work, I find it hard to commit. Especially at 30 since whatever I do will require school, time, money etc. I don't particularly want to be 40 in the same position I am now.
    Maybe he has similar thoughts going through his head.
    Anyways I have to agree with the other post, you seem to be pushing him in the opposite direction of what hes telling you.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Isa View Post
    I can relate to the job-hopping. I just turned 30 and after a few years in the financial sector (I majored in econ) I'm ready for a more exciting career. Right now I'm leaning towards network administrator (i love the independence and ability to work on my own at nights) or pilot (sense of adventure...rare for a woman). I'll update once the change occurs.
    I know for network admin you usually need to start working at a help desk for a few years before moving up.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I know for network admin you usually need to start working at a help desk for a few years before moving up.
    Yep, you're totally right! Pilot it is then! Right now I figure I'm going to suck it in and do whatever job I need to do during the graveyard shift and get my pilot training during the day. Sigh. I knew I should have gone into the the air force when I had the chance!

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Isa View Post
    Yep, you're totally right! Pilot it is then! Right now I figure I'm going to suck it in and do whatever job I need to do during the graveyard shift and get my pilot training during the day. Sigh. I knew I should have gone into the the air force when I had the chance!
    Funny because only an ISTP can choose between two extremely separate jobs, I can defiantly relate to that.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I know ISTP mechanics as well, that is such a true stereotype. Any kind of artisan, craftsperson or problem solver would probably suit you guys I reckon.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I was pretty directionless till about 28 and eventually managed to land up doing something i like. So ended up with direction more through luck than judgement. I was bored of what i was doing and decided I needed a change. I think for me i either have to work in a field im passionate about (I have in the past). So it doesnt seem like work. I was riding horses part time(doesnt pay that great) and playing semi professional rugby. (too many injuries and i'm getting on a bit!)

Now i am working as a bodyguard. How i arrived where i am now was by deciding what was most important to me. ie: a degree of freedom and flexibility to hours/work. Time off and enough dollar to do what i want. And something that is different every day. One of my friends recommended I should go and do it. And I had just been off rugby with a broken hand so i thought I should give it a go. And even if you have to go away and train for it it is worth it when you find something that is right. I found something I was good at. And it comes easy to me. And the hours and the lifestyle suit me massively. Theres a lot of waiting and very little action. But hey, waiting is what we are good at right?

So yeah he needs to think about what is important to him in working life. sometimes advice is welcome, but you can't tell him. he has to decide. Maybe give him some suggestions and leave them with him to think. And let him come to you to talk about it. if you try and push him, he wont go!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I know it's common, but we really DO seem to be naturals for IT, especially with a 6w5 enneagram type. I think also that instinctual variants can be meaningful in choosing careers. I don't think I would mind going forward with some sort of psychology, or a career having to do with relationships...... maybe enneagram types or something. I love improving my own relations irl, typing people, and matching people..... Maybe I should start my own dating website based on the types.

Either way, I think I am much less action-oriented than the descriptions of ISTP seem to suggest. I would much rather be sitting at a computer analyzing than doing mechanical work. I think it has something also to do with enneagram type.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I know it's common, but we really DO seem to be naturals for IT, especially with a 6w5 enneagram type. I think also that instinctual variants can be meaningful in choosing careers. I don't think I would mind going forward with some sort of psychology, or a career having to do with relationships...... maybe enneagram types or something. I love improving my own relations irl, typing people, and matching people..... Maybe I should start my own dating website based on the types.

Either way, I think I am much less action-oriented than the descriptions of ISTP seem to suggest. I would much rather be sitting at a computer analyzing than doing mechanical work. I think it has something also to do with enneagram type.
    mechanical works is pretty similar to IT they both require heavy troubleshooting only difference is IT is much more technical and less physical.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    mechanical works is pretty similar to IT they both require heavy troubleshooting only difference is IT is much more technical and less physical.
    Yes, pretty much.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype