• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and stress...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In continuation of the "ISTJs and stress" thread, I've decided to inquire about SPs and stress.

My questions:
  • What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
  • How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
  • How do you deal with stress?
  • What kinds of things stress you out?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I become some sort of ESTJ (and NOT a nice one!) when stressed enough (or if overstressed by far probably an ISTJ or something- less friendly, but no less rigid about things :doh:)

I'm stressed out when I feel like my life is closing in on me- like I'll run out of options or have no choice- it's such a horrible feeling! :cry:

I become queen bitch- imperiously looking down my nose at others and enforcing "the rules" (meaning what I've decided and can argue positively for as being the rules ;) )- and resenting anyone who dares question my authority :laugh:

I don't get stressed out frequently thankfully, and I am getting a lot better about reigning in my evil psycho-J tendancies! ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I become some sort of ESTJ (and NOT a nice one!) when stressed enough (or if overstressed by far probably an ISTJ or something- less friendly, but no less rigid about things :doh:)

I'm stressed out when I feel like my life is closing in on me- like I'll run out of options or have no choice- it's such a horrible feeling! :cry:

I become queen bitch- imperiously looking down my nose at others and enforcing "the rules" (meaning what I've decided and can argue positively for as being the rules ;) )- and resenting anyone who dares question my authority :laugh:

I don't get stressed out frequently thankfully, and I am getting a lot better about reigning in my evil psycho-J tendancies! ;)

Does this sound like you under stress?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: I DO take a perverse joy in criticizing others when really stressed out- and become rather dreadfully rigid (i.e. "you're off topic- you should start a new thread for that" or "I don't like the tone in which you said that- it sounded kind of sarcastic- you're an asshole")- not to mention I'm more introverted when highly stressed out! :cry:

he he he.... the ways in which I irritate people are right! :devil: (from farther up)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was just curious. Carry on...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh: sarcasm? (I wasn't being sarcastic! :cry:)

oh- with minor stress I DO just become sarcastic instead of rule happy! :) Probably a more accurate portrayal would be when I've been acused of reminding co-workers of Jordan from Scrubs on stressful work days :dry: I get things done- usually in odd ways or by provoking others to do the work :rolleyes: I was describing A LOT of stress above! :rofl1:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I should pay more attention to punctuation...

More SPs, please answer my inquiry! Thank you! :)

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Stress can make me stay inside and just live inside my head. I also procrastinate more. I worry about things, and I dread doing them.

More stress can lead to impulsive behaviors, smoking, drinking, etc. When I start to feel these impulses I try to get some stress out with physical activities like running, lifting weights, or hitting my punching bag.

Under extreme stress, I crack. Emotional breakdown, yelling and anger. Aggressively impulsive behavior (more extreme, like deciding to drive across the country without warning or make abrupt significant changes in my life).

alicia91

Stress can make me stay inside and just live inside my head. I also procrastinate more. I worry about things, and I dread doing them.

Same here. But I also become more T and J. More cold, more cut and dry, and I try to control the stress by taking more control over everyday things so I go nuts organizing and become control-freaky. So it's a weird combination of procrastination and doing things - hard to explain.Probably I procrastinate what REALLY needs to be done, while reorganizing my kitchen drawers which suddenly seem to be a priority. I also get very frusterated. My husband calls it my Evil Twin.

I also drink more wine.

What kinds of things stress you out?

Lots of things! These include:

*Mostly things that are out of my control that are bad and I can see no solution, or that I have no input in the solution
*Too many things to do and not enough time
* Other people not coming through for me
*Other people's bad moods
*My health
*Finances (usually lack thereof)

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP

First of all, I hardly ever stress out. Most things don't get to me at all. I just don't care or I think of a plan of action quickly enough and satisfactorily enough to not need to worry about it...

However, things that stress me out are:
- Dealing with other people's feelings (when they have something to do with me, and possibly my own feelings). Having to talk about my own feelings is the worst. It's so uncharacteristic of me to even think about feelings that I have to change everything about my thought process to think about feelings. It's so hard for me to talk about them... I try to think about them logically, but it just doesn't work, and logic should work for everything! Everything!!!!!
-- In this type of case, I just get quiet and who ever I'm dealing with has to ask loads of questions that are simple enough that I can answer them without saying much, like "yes" or "no".

- Having deadlines that I can't meet and can't change...
-- Say, when I had to move out of my apartment right after finals *and* catch a flight when I still had at least 2 car loads worth of crap to move *and* had a fraction of a morning to do this on *no* sleep... That was some stress right there. I ended up asking for my best friend's help (which I hate doing), and I managed...barely. I was freaking out that morning, I couldn't even take stuff down to my car. All I could think was "I'm so tired and I'm never going to make it in time!!!" :(

- My mom and my sister. They both stress out about EVERYTHING. And they feel the need to talk about it all of the time. The stuff they stress about doesn't do anything to me, but having them bitch about it...ugh. It's annoying and I can't do anything about it and I have to hold all of my thoughts in because if I say anything...I'm doomed and they start hating on me and the focus of their bitching goes from something else to bitching about me.

I guess when I'm in a situation I can't get out of and can't change and it's a situation I really don't want to be in...
Once it gets to me enough to do something about it, I lash out at the person and become confrontational about how much I can't stand what's going on.
I doesn't seem like my thinking changes all that much, but I guess it does.

- People who don't stop talking stress me out. I like quiet time.
-- Eventually, if they don't get the picture after my ignoring them, I tell them I can't think with them talking all of the time. I say it so that they'll get offended and leave me alone. I don't care that they think I'm insensitive at that point. I want them to leave me the fuck alone. Being mean generally accomplishes that well. On a very rare occasion I'll apologize to the person later and explain that I was stressing out (and I'll be nice and not tell them that it's because *they* were stressing me out).

I can't really think of other things right now...

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?

I become even less social than normal, I'll think continually about what's causing the stress, but often will have trouble doing whatever it takes to solve the problem.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

Somewhat, I think the same way, but I often make something into an insurmountable problem mentally, when in reality it's not.

How do you deal with stress?

I ski. Solitary (Often, I'll go to a place without lifts and hike up), physical activity, and being up on top of the mountain and looking at the wilderness around often helps to reset my perspective.

If that's not possible hiking or biking in an "off the beaten path" area works as well.

Being in a situation I don't like, and can't change. That pretty much covers everything I can think of.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
There are a series of Newsletters on this site that gives information to the communication, leadership and other styles for each type. Here is what they say about each SP type being under stress:
When ESTPs are under stress, they can lose their sense of humor and become quite sarcastic. Others become disorganized, forget things, and lose their drive and ambition. Some ESTPs isolate themselves from others, feeling as if no one cares about them. They can appear to think only about themselves, or become passive-aggressive, or extremely competitive. Some ESTPs can try to use their intuition and figure out what’s going on, but they often draw the wrong conclusions when stressed. Still others try to overcome stressful feelings by staying in constant motion or action, without considering what it is they are doing.

Things that can cause stress to erupt for ESTPs include having their trustworthiness or abilities challenged. Feeling penned in, with no possibility to act independently or make changes can be stressful for many ESTPs. If people accuse them of not putting in enough effort on a project, some ESTPs can feel misunderstood and resentful. Likewise, when others accuse them of lacking commitment or wanting to play instead of taking care of their responsibilities, ESTPs can feel stressed.
Under stress, they might feel intimidated, become blunt, be hyperactive, too talkative, and disturbing to others. Others become overwhelmed by negative possibilities, while some turn overly sensitive. They might personalize comments by others, or misattribute meanings to events. Still others can become overly emotional, full of guilt, or lose their joy for life.

Stress for ESFPs can be caused by a number of factors, such as being told they can't do something. If they feel they are being fenced in or forced to do something they dislike in a rush, stress can result. If their values are not respected, they can feel stress, even if their values are not known to the rest of the group. Finally, ESFPs dislike people who misinterpret their desire to have fun as a lack of respect for serious issues.
There are common signs that an ISTP is feeling stress. For example, they might become sarcastic instead of simply critical, they sometimes act in a passive-aggressive manner, they might have explosive outbursts, or have great trouble setting priorities. Others become lost in their own, private inner world, and completely withdraw from interacting with other people. Some ISTPs try to force the facts to fit their logical view of the world, even when they know it's impossible. Finally, some stressed ISTPs will simply become inactive and do nothing.

Some factors that can cause ISTPs to experience stress include people who are take issues too personally, when they feel they are being treated unfairly or illogically, or when common sense and logic are ignored and a problem results. This is even harder if the ISTP has been trying to help others to see the correct way to solve the issue. If ISTPs are pressured into making quick decisions without time to reflect on what’s important or logical, they can feel stressed.
One sign is when ISFPs complain about being unappreciated, or when they become very self-critical, and even more so when they become critical of others. They might act as if they need to solve the world's problems. They can focus only on the negative, seeing the bleakest outcome in any possible solution. Many ISFPs isolate themselves from others, even family and friends. Confusion can surround them, so they lose their easy-going ways.

ISFPs can feel this stress when they are given inadequate time to discuss important issues before making a decision. Other events that trigger stress include being told they cannot do something, or feeling like they are boxed in, whether by colleagues or by a situation. If others disrespect the ISFP's values, he or she can feel stress. ISFPs can struggle with balancing personal freedom with being connected with others. If the balance shifts too far in either direction, stress can result.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I become even less social than normal, I'll think continually about what's causing the stress, but often will have trouble doing whatever it takes to solve the problem.

Somewhat, I think the same way, but I often make something into an insurmountable problem mentally, when in reality it's not.

Wow, this part almost gave me deja vu, it's so similar to things I would write.

Mostly what stresses me out these days is either schoolwork or conflicts with people. In the former case, I tend to try to forget the stress by doing something more fun, resulting in extreme procrastination and then more stress when I end up having to do everything at once. (yes, I realize it's a dumb habit). In the latter case, I get away from the person and distract myself with a long walk or by going shopping or something else by myself and out of the house. In those cases I'm usually angry along with the stress though.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
In the former case, I tend to try to forget the stress by doing something more fun, resulting in extreme procrastination and then more stress when I end up having to do everything at once. (yes, I realize it's a dumb habit).

Exactly, I'll often take a day and go skiing, or hang out with friends, but then when I get home...I realize that another day has passed and I've done nothing. Sometimes I'll try to sit there and work, but it will often only last for a couple minutes before I stop. (with things that are causing me stress).

zarita

I yell at everybody treading on my toes, I openly express my feelings towards people I don't like, especially when I don't get enough sleep. And I also tend to do whatever I desire at that moment, not caring at all what the consequences will be, which I normally wouldn't do. And I start complaining about almost everything. Other than that, I'm pretty much as usual.

I become paranoid.

How do you deal with stress?

By trying to sleep. That usually helps a lot, since most of my stress comes from being tired while having a lot to do. And I also try to finish whatever I have to do, because I know that afterwards I won't be stressed anymore and therefore happy. OR getting out of the house, with my friends usually.

Not having enough time to what I want/have to do. People yelling at me. Not sleeping enough. Not having enough time mostly.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
From the Theorist-Artisan-SP post started, I see a number of my problems in being SP:
Kretschmer was the first to take a careful look at the dark side of character. So he named people strongly expressing Artisan “Hypomanics”, thinking of them as recklessly impulsive… If such people are forced by untoward circumstances to become recklessly impetuous they tend to do so as if compelled by irresistible urges which overcome their will.

Hiding from obligations can also lead someone expressing Artisan into a state of imbalance; turning to familiar comforts instead of attending to tasks or chores that are not inherently stimulating. Thus, when out of balance the need for a freedom from constraint can lead to compulsive behaviour:

Furthermore, the focus on the present associated with the Artisan pattern can lead to people expressing this temperament repeating their mistakes:

Since people expressing Artisan do not reflect very much on their errors or analyse their mistakes to any great extent, it is difficult for them to learn from their errors, and so they can become caught in a loop, repeating their mistakes.

This combination of natural recklessness and a capacity to become stuck in compulsive behaviour is the darker side of the natural hedonism associated with the Artisan temperament. When balanced, and hence confident, the person expressing Artisan can be ‘the life of the party’, enjoying life to its fullest – but when out of balance, the compulsive indulgence in hedonistic pleasures – alcohol, drugs, gambling as well as anything that gives a solid hit of adrenalin – can place such people in psychological or even physical danger.

Finding fresh options and new ways to have an impact in their lives – new and exciting activities to engage with – can help alleviate the problem, but it can be tricky for someone expressing Artisan to accept help from those around them. Their essential need for the freedom to orchestrate their own actions can make it difficult to others to render aid.

PlumGarden

MBTI Type
ISFP
In continuation of the "ISTJs and stress" thread, I've decided to inquire about SPs and stress.

My questions:

*I become passive-aggressive at first, then somewhat withdrawn, extremely tired and finally depressed depending on how major the stress is :cry:

*I am overly critical and don't care much about making peace with anyone anymore; become more emotionally charged on the negative side; skittish :steam:

*Sit outside and listen to the wind in the trees,spend hours working on something creative, pray :headphne:

*Conflicts in relationships , too much activity that I don't want to do (i.e. obligatory commitments I've made), too much work and not enough downtime, not being able to do things I really want to do, not having enough money :doh:

Hope this helps!

DirtyHarry25

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't stress out about too many things. I'm usually able to keep calm with deadlines and stuff like that because I know I can alter it any way to my liking. When it comes to people, though, it's a whole different story. Especially with women. I sometimes stress out if I impressed a girl or not or if I said something stupid. It could be on my mind for a long time. I take a jog, lift weights, or watch tv to keep my mind off it and it puts me in a better mood. I get quiet and may be antisocial at times. It's like my whole body shuts down. Worst feeling ever...

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
When I get stressed, it definitely helps to do some physical activity by myself. Once when I was having a really hard time with my parents over college stuff, I just started walking through the snow and the woods, and it really cleared my head to just get out and think. If I'm really stressed, yet stuck inside, it even helps to just thrash around on my bed for a while. Physical activity helps me burn off those bad chemicals in my brain.

wolfy

awsm
I obsess over the cause of stress. Often dream of vengence. When I am stressed I can really relate to Darth Vader and "the power of the dark side".
The thirst for revenge, seems so futile but just keeps coming to my mind. I never do anything though. Anybody else like that?