User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?

I become even less social than normal, I'll think continually about what's causing the stress, but often will have trouble doing whatever it takes to solve the problem.

How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?

Somewhat, I think the same way, but I often make something into an insurmountable problem mentally, when in reality it's not.

How do you deal with stress?

I ski. Solitary (Often, I'll go to a place without lifts and hike up), physical activity, and being up on top of the mountain and looking at the wilderness around often helps to reset my perspective.

If that's not possible hiking or biking in an "off the beaten path" area works as well.

What kinds of things stress you out?

Being in a situation I don't like, and can't change. That pretty much covers everything I can think of.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    TiSe

There are a series of Newsletters on this site that gives information to the communication, leadership and other styles for each type. Here is what they say about each SP type being under stress:
    When ESTPs are under stress, they can lose their sense of humor and become quite sarcastic. Others become disorganized, forget things, and lose their drive and ambition. Some ESTPs isolate themselves from others, feeling as if no one cares about them. They can appear to think only about themselves, or become passive-aggressive, or extremely competitive. Some ESTPs can try to use their intuition and figure out what’s going on, but they often draw the wrong conclusions when stressed. Still others try to overcome stressful feelings by staying in constant motion or action, without considering what it is they are doing.

Things that can cause stress to erupt for ESTPs include having their trustworthiness or abilities challenged. Feeling penned in, with no possibility to act independently or make changes can be stressful for many ESTPs. If people accuse them of not putting in enough effort on a project, some ESTPs can feel misunderstood and resentful. Likewise, when others accuse them of lacking commitment or wanting to play instead of taking care of their responsibilities, ESTPs can feel stressed.
    Under stress, they might feel intimidated, become blunt, be hyperactive, too talkative, and disturbing to others. Others become overwhelmed by negative possibilities, while some turn overly sensitive. They might personalize comments by others, or misattribute meanings to events. Still others can become overly emotional, full of guilt, or lose their joy for life.

Stress for ESFPs can be caused by a number of factors, such as being told they can't do something. If they feel they are being fenced in or forced to do something they dislike in a rush, stress can result. If their values are not respected, they can feel stress, even if their values are not known to the rest of the group. Finally, ESFPs dislike people who misinterpret their desire to have fun as a lack of respect for serious issues.
    There are common signs that an ISTP is feeling stress. For example, they might become sarcastic instead of simply critical, they sometimes act in a passive-aggressive manner, they might have explosive outbursts, or have great trouble setting priorities. Others become lost in their own, private inner world, and completely withdraw from interacting with other people. Some ISTPs try to force the facts to fit their logical view of the world, even when they know it's impossible. Finally, some stressed ISTPs will simply become inactive and do nothing.

Some factors that can cause ISTPs to experience stress include people who are take issues too personally, when they feel they are being treated unfairly or illogically, or when common sense and logic are ignored and a problem results. This is even harder if the ISTP has been trying to help others to see the correct way to solve the issue. If ISTPs are pressured into making quick decisions without time to reflect on what’s important or logical, they can feel stressed.
    One sign is when ISFPs complain about being unappreciated, or when they become very self-critical, and even more so when they become critical of others. They might act as if they need to solve the world's problems. They can focus only on the negative, seeing the bleakest outcome in any possible solution. Many ISFPs isolate themselves from others, even family and friends. Confusion can surround them, so they lose their easy-going ways.

ISFPs can feel this stress when they are given inadequate time to discuss important issues before making a decision. Other events that trigger stress include being told they cannot do something, or feeling like they are boxed in, whether by colleagues or by a situation. If others disrespect the ISFP's values, he or she can feel stress. ISFPs can struggle with balancing personal freedom with being connected with others. If the balance shifts too far in either direction, stress can result.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post

I become even less social than normal, I'll think continually about what's causing the stress, but often will have trouble doing whatever it takes to solve the problem.

Somewhat, I think the same way, but I often make something into an insurmountable problem mentally, when in reality it's not.
    Wow, this part almost gave me deja vu, it's so similar to things I would write.

Mostly what stresses me out these days is either schoolwork or conflicts with people. In the former case, I tend to try to forget the stress by doing something more fun, resulting in extreme procrastination and then more stress when I end up having to do everything at once. (yes, I realize it's a dumb habit). In the latter case, I get away from the person and distract myself with a long walk or by going shopping or something else by myself and out of the house. In those cases I'm usually angry along with the stress though.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    In the former case, I tend to try to forget the stress by doing something more fun, resulting in extreme procrastination and then more stress when I end up having to do everything at once. (yes, I realize it's a dumb habit).
    Exactly, I'll often take a day and go skiing, or hang out with friends, but then when I get home...I realize that another day has passed and I've done nothing. Sometimes I'll try to sit there and work, but it will often only last for a couple minutes before I stop. (with things that are causing me stress).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

I yell at everybody treading on my toes, I openly express my feelings towards people I don't like, especially when I don't get enough sleep. And I also tend to do whatever I desire at that moment, not caring at all what the consequences will be, which I normally wouldn't do. And I start complaining about almost everything. Other than that, I'm pretty much as usual.

I become paranoid.

How do you deal with stress?

By trying to sleep. That usually helps a lot, since most of my stress comes from being tired while having a lot to do. And I also try to finish whatever I have to do, because I know that afterwards I won't be stressed anymore and therefore happy. OR getting out of the house, with my friends usually.

What kinds of things stress you out?

Not having enough time to what I want/have to do. People yelling at me. Not sleeping enough. Not having enough time mostly.

MBTI
    TiSe

From the Theorist-Artisan-SP post started, I see a number of my problems in being SP:
    Kretschmer was the first to take a careful look at the dark side of character. So he named people strongly expressing Artisan “Hypomanics”, thinking of them as recklessly impulsive… If such people are forced by untoward circumstances to become recklessly impetuous they tend to do so as if compelled by irresistible urges which overcome their will.

Hiding from obligations can also lead someone expressing Artisan into a state of imbalance; turning to familiar comforts instead of attending to tasks or chores that are not inherently stimulating. Thus, when out of balance the need for a freedom from constraint can lead to compulsive behaviour:

Furthermore, the focus on the present associated with the Artisan pattern can lead to people expressing this temperament repeating their mistakes:

Since people expressing Artisan do not reflect very much on their errors or analyse their mistakes to any great extent, it is difficult for them to learn from their errors, and so they can become caught in a loop, repeating their mistakes.

This combination of natural recklessness and a capacity to become stuck in compulsive behaviour is the darker side of the natural hedonism associated with the Artisan temperament. When balanced, and hence confident, the person expressing Artisan can be ‘the life of the party’, enjoying life to its fullest – but when out of balance, the compulsive indulgence in hedonistic pleasures – alcohol, drugs, gambling as well as anything that gives a solid hit of adrenalin – can place such people in psychological or even physical danger.

Finding fresh options and new ways to have an impact in their lives – new and exciting activities to engage with – can help alleviate the problem, but it can be tricky for someone expressing Artisan to accept help from those around them. Their essential need for the freedom to orchestrate their own actions can make it difficult to others to render aid.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    In continuation of the "ISTJs and stress" thread, I've decided to inquire about SPs and stress.

My questions:
    • What kind of behaviors do you exhibit when stressed?
    • How is your normal mode of thinking altered when stressed?
    • How do you deal with stress?
    • What kinds of things stress you out?
    *I become passive-aggressive at first, then somewhat withdrawn, extremely tired and finally depressed depending on how major the stress is

*I am overly critical and don't care much about making peace with anyone anymore; become more emotionally charged on the negative side; skittish :steam:

*Sit outside and listen to the wind in the trees,spend hours working on something creative, pray

*Conflicts in relationships , too much activity that I don't want to do (i.e. obligatory commitments I've made), too much work and not enough downtime, not being able to do things I really want to do, not having enough money

Hope this helps!

I don't stress out about too many things. I'm usually able to keep calm with deadlines and stuff like that because I know I can alter it any way to my liking. When it comes to people, though, it's a whole different story. Especially with women. I sometimes stress out if I impressed a girl or not or if I said something stupid. It could be on my mind for a long time. I take a jog, lift weights, or watch tv to keep my mind off it and it puts me in a better mood. I get quiet and may be antisocial at times. It's like my whole body shuts down. Worst feeling ever...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INTj

When I get stressed, it definitely helps to do some physical activity by myself. Once when I was having a really hard time with my parents over college stuff, I just started walking through the snow and the woods, and it really cleared my head to just get out and think. If I'm really stressed, yet stuck inside, it even helps to just thrash around on my bed for a while. Physical activity helps me burn off those bad chemicals in my brain.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

I obsess over the cause of stress. Often dream of vengence. When I am stressed I can really relate to Darth Vader and "the power of the dark side".
    The thirst for revenge, seems so futile but just keeps coming to my mind. I never do anything though. Anybody else like that?