• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and poetry...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I realize that there is a philosophy forum that turned into a forum about poetry. I posed this question to NFs, NTs, and SJs, but I did not directly start a similar thread for SPs, and so I feel incomplete, so bare with me. Anyway, here's my question:

Do you like poetry?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really (big surprise, I know). There are a few poems that I enjoyed studying in high school when we were forced to, but I haven't since gone out of my way to find more.

I was always far more interested in the flow and patterning of the words than the symbolism BS anyway, so I'm sure that eliminates me from any poetry-lovers club.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If anything, I'd be starting a Poetry Hater's Club, where we would gather around a bonfire and burn books of poetry! Long story short, yes, I hate poetry, as well! :D

EDIT: Of course, I tend to interpret poetry as more than just in terms of language. When put into that broad context, I can say I like it in some forms.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't mind listening to someone read poetry- if it has a good flow and rhythm to it (think Lawrence Ferlinghetti or any other poet who wrote poetry meant to be read outloud to an audience back in the day)- I love to listen to the rhythm of how someone speaks and watch how they ennunciate words and such ;) Listening to how someone speaks can be a total turn on :drool:

I do not like to read poetry- I read for entertainments sake- poetry doesn't entertain me- I like to experience things through my senses (of which I only have 5! :laugh:)- not to have to process it internally instead :)

here's an example- just listen to this- very interesting pattern in the way that he speaks! :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
No, but I do like good quotes.

alicia91

Not really, but I kind of like reading Shel Silverstein to the kids when they were younger.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
No, other than entertaining/funny ones. 99% of poetry I've heard/read besides that category, I've disliked.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
There's only been one poem I have ever liked and that's only because I can relate to it:

The Village Blacksmith

UNDER a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

His hair is crisp, and black, and long,
His face is like the tan;
His brow is wet with honest sweat,
He earns whate'er he can,
And looks the whole world in the face,
For he owes not any man.

Week in, week out, from morn till night,
You can hear his bellows blow;
You can hear him swing his heavy sledge,
With measured beat and slow,
Like a sexton ringing the village bell,
When the evening sun is low.

And children coming home from school
Look in at the open door;
They love to see the flaming forge,
And hear the bellows roar,
And catch the burning sparks that fly
Like chaff from a threshing-floor.

He goes on Sunday to the church,
And sits among his boys;
He hears the parson pray and preach,
He hears his daughter's voice,
Singing in the village choir,
And it makes his heart rejoice.

It sounds to him like her mother's voice,
Singing in Paradise!
He needs must think of her once more,
How in the grave she lies;
And with his hard, rough hand he wipes
A tear out of his eyes.

Toiling,---rejoicing,---sorrowing,
Onward through life he goes;
Each morning sees some task begin,
Each evening sees it close;
Something attempted, something done,
Has earned a night's repose.

Thanks, thanks to thee, my worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught!
Thus at the flaming forge of life
Our fortunes must be wrought;
Thus on its sounding anvil shaped
Each burning deed and thought.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I can't stand poetry. I don't even know why this is called the SP Arthouse anyway. It should be Toolbox or something.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
That's funny. I was actually thinking it should be called the Garage or the Dock.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't stand poetry. I don't even know why this is called the SP Arthouse anyway. It should be Toolbox or something.

I agree, but an artisan is different from an artist. The artisan is more concrete (a craftsman) while the artist is more abstract.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
I agree, but an artisan is different from an artist. The artisan is more concrete (a craftsman) while the artist is more abstract.
Which is why this shouldn't be an Arthouse. Not that it matters.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like poems, well-written and spoken speeches, music with great texts, well-written litterature in general...

Here's my personal favourite... It is a somewhat strange poem written by Patrick Pearse, leader of the irish rebellion of 1916.

"I am come of the seed of the people, the people that sorrow,
That have no treasure but hope, No riches laid up but a memory Of an Ancient glory.
My mother bore me in bondage, in bondage my mother was born,
I am of the blood of serfs;
The children with whom I have played, the men and women with whom I have eaten,
Have had masters over them, have been under the lash of masters,
And, though gentle, have served churls;
The hands that have touched mine, the dear hands whose touch is familiar to me,
Have worn shameful manacles, have been bitten at the wrist by manacles,
Have grown hard with the manacles and the task-work of strangers,
I am flesh of the flesh of these lowly, I am bone of their bone,
I that have never submitted;
I that have a soul greater than the souls of my people's masters,
I that have vision and prophecy and the gift of fiery speech,
I that have spoken with God on the top of His holy hill.
And because I am of the people, I understand the people,
I am sorrowful with their sorrow, I am hungry with their desire:
My heart has been heavy with the grief of mothers,
My eyes have been wet with the tears of children,
I have yearned with old wistful men,
And laughed or cursed with young men;
Their shame is my shame, and I have reddened for it,
Reddened for that they have served, they who should be free,
Reddened for that they have gone in want, while others have been full,
Reddened for that they have walked in fear of lawyers and of their jailors
With their writs of summons and their handcuffs, Men mean and cruel!
I could have borne stripes on my body rather than this shame of my people.
And now I speak, being full of vision;
I speak to my people, and I speak in my people's name to the masters of my people.
I say to my people that they are holy, that they are august, despite their chains,
That they are greater than those that hold them, and stronger and purer,
That they have but need of courage, and to call on the name of their God,
God the unforgetting, the dear God that loves the peoples
For whom He died naked, suffering shame.
And I say to my people's masters: Beware,
Beware of the thing that is coming, beware of the risen people,
Who shall take what ye would not give.
Did ye think to conquer the people,
Or that Law is stronger than life and than men's desire to be free?
We will try it out with you, ye that have harried and held,
Ye that have bullied and bribed, tyrants, hypocrites, liars"

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
BTW, I like that name..... or maybe it should reflect our new name:
The Improviser Temperament

People of the Improviser Temperament . . .
Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the action of the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventure and stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck, and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have a talent for noticing and describing rich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Tend to be natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Usually are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.

Themes of the

Analyzer Operator
ISTP

Actively solving problems. Observing how things work. Talent for using tools for the best approach. Need to be independent. Act on their hunches or intuitions. Understanding a situation. Taking things apart. Making discoveries. Sharing those discoveries. Unsettled by powerful emotional experiences.

Composer Producer
ISFP

Taking advantage of opportunities. Stick with what’s important. Talent for pulling together what is just right. Creative problem solving. Building relationships. Attracting the loyalties of others. Being their own true self. Have their own personal style. Play against expectations. Struggle with nurturing their own self-esteem.

Promoter Executor
ESTP

Taking charge of situations. Tactical prioritizing. Talent for negotiating. Want a measure of their success. Keep their options open. Enjoy acting as a consultant. Winning people over. Caring for family and friends. Enjoy exhilaration at the edge. Disappointed when others don’t show respect.

Motivator Presenter
ESFP

Stimulating action. Have a sense of style. Talent for presenting things in a useful way. Natural actors— engaging others. Opening up people to possibilities. Respect for freedom. Taking risks. A love of learning, especially about people. Genuine caring. Sometimes misperceive others’ intentions.